Best kit for mostly off road commute

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The latest 48v bbs01 is locked in the firmware at 12 amps, but you can still adjust the pas % levels and keep current .But with the 36t lekkie chain ring it will climb almost anything

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Sivy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 4, 2022
Thanks Peter so is there any advantage in going with the 48v if it's locked out compared to the programmable 36v ?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes it still pulls far better than the tsdz2 48v [even the standard 750watt 15 amp version] the main advantage is the extra range as 12 amps max current is still about 500-600watts in short bursts , the lower power still has 80nm torque[ and it removes the constant tinkering of settings]
Just about to swap to legal bbs01 on my cube 29er and remove the throttle so always legal

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Spoke to a food delivery rider at the weekend that works in east London as i collected his new bbs02 which he sold without being fitted , life has become hard with the met stopping and checking ebikes , when the rider is seen not peddling or the rear hub looks the size of a dinner plate or has a large triangle battery

Sivy

Jun 4, 2022
Sorry Pete just a bit confused, so are you saying your preference is the bbs01b 48v rather than tsdz2 48v and the more programmable bbs01b 36v?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes if you want to be or need to stay legal the 48v bbs01 is the one to go for [has all the right engraved markings not a fake 250w sticker]
Also no need for a huge capacity battery
The 36 v bbs01 15 amps is great set to 18 amps and the etm version at 25 amps is even better but requires a bigger capacity battery and that adds weight
As soon as you up the current the bbs01 is no longer strictly legal
If you want more power then the bbs02 750watt 24 amp is the choice
After about 6 tries with various tsdz2 combos 36v and 48v and even purchased a open source version with a colour display , i love the idea but not the real world experience due to build quality /reliability

Sivy

Jun 4, 2022
I like it, I thought being 48v it would need higher capacity I don't really understand the electrical maths I'm looking to do a 20 mile commute it has some steep hills one's 2 miles long and some will be on trails but I can charge at work so the batteries I was looking at were as much as the kit , is there a decent brand which is cheaper than the main branded options that still has good performance and what size do you think I should look at, at s minimum thanks for your input pete.
Btw have you tried a rear hub setup, my MTB is thru axle front but strangely standard drop outs rear

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
when the rider is seen not peddling or the rear hub looks the size of a dinner plate or has a large triangle battery
Have ebikes with throttles been seized? Is the ebike throttle crackdown finally starting to happen?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Yes he lost his bike no pedal action at 30mph, in front of anti cycle/ e-scoter check for jumping traffic lights in tower hamlets and got stroppy
Now he is on the be on the look out list and gets regular stop checks only to check for a throttle

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes he lost his bike no pedal action at 30mph, in front of anti cycle/ e-scoter check for jumping traffic lights in tower hamlets and got stroppy
Now he is on the be on the look out list and gets regular stop checks only to check for a throttle
Crikey - so he wasn't charged with riding an illegal motorcycle without plates and insurance etc. but had his bike seized and ended up on a lookout list, no fines? Maybe they thought losing one's bike was punishment enough?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
At 48v 250watt a 17.5 ah battery or a 19.2/20ah will get you 23 miles even on full power 9 with ease and no range anxiety :rolleyes:
On a lower power level 5 and some human effort my 48 v 13 ah battery gets me 30-40 miles off road

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Using the full 15A on my 36V 250W bbs01b, my 19.2ah battery gets me about 45 miles of zero effort pedelecing. My level 9 is programmed to use 100% current, saves knee pain.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
He just acted stupid and bike is away for inspection was told to wait and see if a letter came in the post ,as not sure what offence to charge. [ several months ago] But now he moans about pas and 15.5 mph Carrera
He purchased a bbs02 as had been told it was legal but after some homework put it up for sale

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
He purchased a bbs02 as had been told it was legal but after some homework put it up for sale
Lol, once bitten twice shy

He just acted stupid and bike is away for inspection was told to wait and see if a letter came in the post ,as not sure what offence to charge. [ several months ago]
I would have thought the law was clear - perhaps the plod's aversion to paperwork has worked in his favour?

Sivy

Jun 4, 2022
Guys Im almost pulling the trigger on a bbs01b 48v just check out the underneath of my bottom bracket on my pinnacle arkose X look's like it will be a challenge 47612

Sivy

Jun 4, 2022
My other bike is hardtail Trek Roscoe 9 looks a bit better but not sure about the sealed bottom bracket it's marked do not disassemble? It's a Shimano sm bb52 I presume it still can be taken out? Oh and it's only 30t chain ring 47613

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My other bike is hardtail Trek Roscoe 9 looks a bit better but not sure about the sealed bottom bracket it's marked do not disassemble? It's a Shimano sm bb52 I presume it still can be taken out? Oh and it's only 30t chain ring View attachment 47613
I'm no expert, but until one turns up - looks to me like this chap is using the Bafang tool at 4m 14s in this video - that tool is provided free quite often with kits. I wish I'd taken my bb out in preparation, it would have been far les stress installing, and would have also forewarned of possible problems in the form of strange jutting things inside the tube. Thankfully, there weren't problematic weird projections inside the bb on my bike. Measure your BB and check motor measurements carefully, as you may need spacers - the rear fork looks like it might be a tight fit with the motor's chainwheel? Don't buy anything till you're certain it'll all fit! Over to one of the actual experts...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For my Arkose I opted for the Revos friction drive from evolution works to keep the bike as light a spossible, that was over 3 years ago.

Sivy

Jun 4, 2022
Hi Neal which particular kit was it and was the fitting straight forward how much weight was added and how is it performance wise thanks Nigel