Best selling eBikes

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi, does anyone know what the top selling eBikes are in the UK, or where I can find a list

I remember a thread a few weeks back that mentioned the Cyclamatic as being the best seller, but not sure what the source was

Any ideas?

Cheers

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Perm any eight from twelve

To the best of my knowledge, none of the retailers/importers have ever revealed exactly how many machines are sold each year, or for that matter, which particular models sell best.

The bicycle industry as a whole, often publish the percentage of total sales represented by e-bikes, but I very much doubt if there is any breakdown showing individual brands involved. As with all statistics, It's probably worked out on the back of a fag packet. :rolleyes:

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Thanks, I did read somewhere - possibly the BEBA website - that detailed stats weren't available, but I wondered whether this had changed

Back to the fag packet option it is!

Cheers

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
.....and very soon they will be in plain cartons, allowing more calculations per fag packet...always re-use before re-cycling.

Beer mats in the Westminster members bar are already plain for the same reason, It's cheaper than buying new table cloths.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've only ever seen two suppliers mention a sales total.

One was back in 2003 when Thompson senior of the five outlets Thompsons retail chain said he'd shifted over 7000 cheap shopper type e-bikes in the year and intended to bring in 12000 for the following year. He was clearly by a huge margin the biggest selling at the time. The models are still largely unchanged:

Thompson's Electric Bikes

The other was 50cycles mention of selling about 690 eZee Torq 1 models between their introduction in May 2006 and the end of the year, undoubtedly the largest selling quality e-bike at the time. Circa £1100 at the time, spare batteries £200 NiMh or £250 Lithium.

It seems totals are only mentioned when the figures are something to boast about, so don't expect too many totals this year!

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It's very difficult to get anyone to divulge such sensitive information for obvious commercial reasons. I would imagine that the cheaper brands will be selling in much greater numbers than the high end bikes, this was borne out in BEBA's latest poll. The commodity code has recently changed on electric bikes so next year there will be some accurate figures for the first time on the total number of electric bikes bought into the UK. Good news for statisticians, but I can't help feeling there is something ominous about the change.

Regards

David

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
but I can't help feeling there is something ominous about the change.

David
Indeed, If the numbers are significant, I'm sure the authorities will be seeking to increase income from e bikes, and will invest in a whole range of excuses which will involve more tax and more regulation. Large committees will be paid massive salaries to dream up stupid regulations and 'codes of conduct'. Of course, we will be told that it's for our own safety.

Sorry, I seem to be feeling a bit cynical today!

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Indeed, If the numbers are significant, I'm sure the authorities will be seeking to increase income from e bikes, and will invest in a whole range of excuses which will involve more tax and more regulation. Large committees will be paid massive salaries to dream up stupid regulations and 'codes of conduct'. Of course, we will be told that it's for our own safety.

Sorry, I seem to be feeling a bit cynical today!
Blessed are the Lawmakers for they shall inherit the world.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Not at all Eaglerider, I agree. However I think this is more likely to be because of the pressure European bicycle "manufacturers" have been putting on Brussels not to exclude electric bikes from the dumping tariff already on pedal cycles being bought out of China.

Regards

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Forgot to say, for those who don't know, the EU imposes a 48.5% "anti dumping tariff" on top of the 6% duty and 20% VAT on bikes coming out of China.

This means that an electric bike bought in China for £1000.00 would cost about £1900.00 as it lands in the UK, if this goes ahead. (plus shipping!)

Don't you just love 'em!

Regards

David

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Not at all Eaglerider, I agree. However I think this is more likely to be because of the pressure European bicycle "manufacturers" have been putting on Brussels not to exclude electric bikes from the dumping tariff already on pedal cycles being bought out of China.

Regards

David
Blessed are those who can influence the Lawmakers, for they shall inherit the world as well.

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Thanks for the heads up David about the dumping tax. I can see the point of doing this for very cheap items, as it may discourage our 'throw away' society, but if someone is spending hundreds, maybe thousands, on an item you would think they would want to maximize its use and keep it in good use? Or maybe I'm missing the point here and really it's just another way to squeeze more money out of people?!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Forgot to say, for those who don't know, the EU imposes a 48.5% "anti dumping tariff" on top of the 6% duty and 20% VAT on bikes coming out of China.

This means that an electric bike bought in China for £1000.00 would cost about £1900.00 as it lands in the UK, if this goes ahead. (plus shipping!)

Don't you just love 'em!

Regards

David
The latest moves seem to favour removal of the bicycle anti-dumping duty on Chinese products, since so many bikes now come from many other countries in the near and far east. Fingers crossed.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hopefully Flecc, but I always distrust this kind of change, and I know the German bike manufacturers in particular have been lobbying for this for some time now.

For those interested in stats, during a trip to Holland last month our new dealer informed me that during May and June of last year more money was spent in Holland on electric bikes than all other bike types put together. He alone had sold more than 5,000 ebikes in 2011.

All the best

David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For those interested in stats, during a trip to Holland last month our new dealer informed me that during May and June of last year more money was spent in Holland on electric bikes than all other bike types put together. He alone had sold more than 5,000 ebikes in 2011.
It's one of the weirdest things about e-bikes, the highest sales are in the flatter areas, often true here in Britain too. Members in the eastern counties report frequent sightings, while here in the hilly North Downs they might be considered an endangered species they are so rarely seen.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I too have pondered this, it is the same in Germany, the flatter the terrain the more electric bikes are sold. I think the reason is simply people who live in flatter areas are traditionally more likely to use a bike, hence there are more bike users in these locations. Therefore there are more bike users achieving an age where riding a pedal bike becomes less attractive, an electric bike prolongs by several years their bike riding days.

All the best

David