Best Way to Carry battery into work etc

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
i thought when i removed the battery from the bike it would slot nicely into my panniers and i could carry it into work.

unfortunately due to its size that will be really awkward. is there a specific battery bag type thing i could look for?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Doesn't it fit into a backpack?

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
probably but i was trying to avoid having too much to carry into work, if it could slip into it's own little bag, it would be less bulky and also i wouldnt end up filling it with lots of other junk as there wouldnt be any extra room.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Please dont carry it by the handle used to pull the battery out of the frame,these are not suitable to carry the battery any distance!
Dave
Kudoscycles
While I am not surprised it does seem a bit daft having a handle on a battery that is no good for carrying it !!!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know what shape the battery it is, but if it's one of the long in-frame ones, a tripod bag might suit. Some have a shoulder strap and a large one on this link has a diameter at the narrow end of nearly 8" which can handle many e-bike battery cases:

Tripod bags at Wex Photographic

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
yeah, it is rectangular.

about 14"(35cm) length x 6"(15cm) width x 3"(7.5cm) depth. all approx as i just measured with my fingers.

i looked at the gitzo ones on tha link flecc, not bad even though i wanted as cheap as poss. as the width on those is 19cm i though perfect but when the battery is in, that width would be reduced due to the depth of the battery so i didnt think it would be wide enough. what one was you pointed towards with that link flecc?

any other ideas guys? what does everyone else do?

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
i thought when i removed the battery from the bike it would slot nicely into my panniers and i could carry it into work.

unfortunately due to its size that will be really awkward. is there a specific battery bag type thing i could look for?
large rugby boot bag.........

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Try here Welcome To Buggybags.co.uk.

Im sure they would be willing to make something to your specification for a sensible price and I can vouch for the quality of their work.

The Barrel bag looks like it could be what your after.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yeah, it is rectangular.

about 14"(35cm) length x 6"(15cm) width x 3"(7.5cm) depth. all approx as i just measured with my fingers.

i looked at the gitzo ones on tha link flecc, not bad even though i wanted as cheap as poss. as the width on those is 19cm i though perfect but when the battery is in, that width would be reduced due to the depth of the battery so i didnt think it would be wide enough. what one was you pointed towards with that link flecc?
Now I have those dimensions, unfortunately the two lowest price ones won't suit, too small diameter since your battery isn't the slimmest type. The MBA90PN at £59 would fit in that respect, but expensive and it's nearly three feet long. Far from ideal then.

Maybe a small sports bag from one of the sports stores?

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Seriously, get a cheap backpack or a bag from somewhere like tesco or sports direct. You don't need to wear the backpack just carry it, it's only for taking your battery into work. It should cost you about £5.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I should think a shoulder-slung record bag would do the trick - search on eBay, you'll get one for less than a tenner.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I can fit mine easily into a rear pannier so if it needs to go anywhere I just fix the shoulder strap on and carry it in that. Yours would fit too, based on those dimensions.

CarraDry Rear Panniers

There's a backpack version with a roll-top closure too :

rucksack pannier

OK these will not meet your criteria of being the smallest carry bags for the battery size, but they have a couple of advantages :

1) You can use them as your regular panniers when you don't need to use them for the battery so multi-use functionality (seldom a bad thing) .. and

2) They are absolutely rock solid waterproof and tough as old boots.

Another possible option there.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
cheers guys, i will check out all those suggestions.

i did want to spend as little as possible as i have spent so much so far already on this new bike and kit etc.

i will also see if i have a spare backpack but i am not sure i could make up a bag myself that would work very well.

hannibal

Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2009
Is there any way you could lock the battery onto the bike? (Assuming you don't need to charge it). I did this for a couple of years at work.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I use an Ortlieb bag that quick releases onto rack. You can make suitable connections to charger through the bag so it doesn't need to be removed from the bag.

marc.knuckle

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
cheers guys.

the battery slides into groves inside the rack so i dont think i could have it in a bag while connected.

the battery can be locked in position even without the power on as while it is in the off position but not open position, there is a metal disk that is pushed into a round slot on the rack. it would make it difficult but not impossible to remove i guess but i wasnt sure if this was risking too much with a very expensive battery and also whether keeping it in the cold all day was any good for it.