Best way to look after a new battery on a Wisper 905e?

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Thank you for your concern, but I have tried riding the bike unpowered around the streets of Bristol and it was fine, particularly (as you mentioned) with a very low assist setting.
I am sure the 8ah battery will cope just fine with the 8.5-mile trip to work and then I'll simply charge it up there before returning home. Basically it's either that or I can't buy an electric bike at all and I'd rather not consider that to be an option!
So I'll buy the 8ah version and put aside a tenner a month for the next few years and when I eventually replace the battery I should have enough money by then to buy the 14ah!
suggest you up your savings to around £25/month for your new battery in about 2 years.......they are over £500 at the moment and you will need the specific charger for the bigger battery in addition........

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I am also a strong cyclist and I just like getting there faster if that makes sense!
I no that cars r faster is most cases, but not all... but thats boring and consumes petrol.
and I tend to use my bike more than a non ebike thats for sure.
I aslo take Jack3d before a a long ride that stuff is great gives you loads of energy.
I think Flec answered your question well so Im just doodling.

Last edited:

tomarnold

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2011
Right then, I have now got my lovely new Wisper 905e with 8ah battery :eek:
Just took it out for a little ride to see how it goes. Big smiles and happy Tom! :) :) :) I went out intending to go on just a little ride, and came back after 22 miles with 2 lights still showing on the battery indicator. Lots of fairly big hills and on high assist all the time with at least 10 miles done on throttle alone. Going to do some more miles later to run the battery right down as I'm going to do the recommended full discharge and recharge for the first 3 cycles.
So going by the 22 miles I've just done on high assist and throttle and with 2 lights still showing, I think my 17-mile round trip commute will be just fine!

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Right then, I have now got my lovely new Wisper 905e with 8ah battery :eek:
Just took it out for a little ride to see how it goes. Big smiles and happy Tom! :) :) :) I went out intending to go on just a little ride, and came back after 22 miles with 2 lights still showing on the battery indicator. Lots of fairly big hills and on high assist all the time with at least 10 miles done on throttle alone. Going to do some more miles later to run the battery right down as I'm going to do the recommended full discharge and recharge for the first 3 cycles.
So going by the 22 miles I've just done on high assist and throttle and with 2 lights still showing, I think my 17-mile round trip commute will be just fine!

IRON MAN......

tomarnold

Feb 23, 2011
IRON MAN......
Hardly! I let the throttle and the high assist setting do all the work. In fact, for at least 10 miles I didn't pedal at all.

Now the only issue I have is having to get up at 6am tomorrow to try and use up the rest of the battery life before charging up ready for the next long ride!

:D :) :D

tomarnold

Feb 23, 2011
Final report - I got up at 5:30am today to go for a ride to run the battery down before work. It lasted 2 miles before the last light was flashing and going out.
So the range I got on high assist and lots of throttle-only, in some very hilly terrain, was almost 24 miles. So I reckon I should get around 26-30 miles with less throttle use and a little more pedalling, and perhaps more than 30 miles if I use more of the low and medium assist settings.
Wonderful!

TeTs.BiZ

Aug 31, 2009
Congrats on the purchase Tom. It would be interesting to note how your battery holds up on your regular commute (perhaps keep a log?)
Anyway well done - the Wispers are undoubtedly the best performing bikes towards the top end of the market. Contenders come and go...

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Hardly! I let the throttle and the high assist setting do all the work. In fact, for at least 10 miles I didn't pedal at all.

:D :) :D

How heavy (or should that be how LIGHT) are you, tom? My 14Ah wouldn't carry me for 10 miles without pedalling, certainly not if it encountered more than a 1-in-20 incline en route. In fact it might well clap out at the first minor hill.

A

tomarnold

Feb 23, 2011
How heavy (or should that be how LIGHT) are you, tom? My 14Ah wouldn't carry me for 10 miles without pedalling, certainly not if it encountered more than a 1-in-20 incline en route. In fact it might well clap out at the first minor hill.

A
I weigh 11 stone (70kg ish). The 10 miles without pedalling was all on the flat and the occassional slight incline. It managed up shallow inclines but at a reduced speed of around 10mph (it was around 15 - 16mph throttle only on the flat).

And yes, I'll keep a log of my commutes and post my findings if you're interested...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

A
This really illustrates the difference that circumstances make. With the same make new 14 Ah battery in another manufacturer's case, I could cover 21 miles almost without pedalling, with various climbs including a 1 in 7, the only pedalling being to help it up a 1 in 6.

Those different circumstances are:

Higher power controller than yours with the SB motor.

20" wheels mechanical climb advantage.

My 70 kilos.