BH Emotion serious problems

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks all. The dealer quoted me close to £200 to rebuild the wheel locally which I considered unacceptable when I have spent nearly £2000 on a ten month old bike used perfectly normally!

I'll see what happens when the wheel comes back.
Name and shame please, Malflora.

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
I'd rather not for two reasons: firstly I'd prefer to see what happens first when the wheel is rebuilt by BH and secondly I was talking to the mechanic rather than the dealer at the time and I wouldn't want to misrepresent what might have been offered.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
if the guys in the UK are rebuilding the wheel, i'd say you'll be fine, if they are replacing it with another wheel+motor then i'd say check the wheel is tru before you ride it.

suignrs

Just Joined
Oct 29, 2013
For what it's worth regarding this matter:

I have a 2012 Neo Cross which I purchased in the US in October, 2012. I started having spoke problems almost immediately. After several spoke replacements, I was finally advised by the Company that there was a design defect in the wheel (which had been caused by the wheel/spoke manufacturer and was present in other brands of bikes as well), which had been fixed in the 2013 model; I was then sent a replacement wheel (including new motor, cassette, and tire). The new wheel is indeed different from the previous version - the hub does not extend as much, which allows for longer spokes.

I therefore suggest that anyone out there who has this problem should ask the company for a replacement wheel.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Just to add my tuppence worth to this thread....BH did indeed have problems with their rear wheels on the first generation of Neo bikes.
They had a faulty batch of spokes originally which have all been replaced under warranty when evident...and then a faulty batch of bearing washers on some of the motors, again which have been repaired or replaced as necessary under warranty.

No one should be having to foot the bill for this work.

If you have these problems, return them to the supplier and they will be fixed/replaced under warranty.

Problems have arisen and been addressed by BH as an ongoing process, which has lead to a very nice bike now being offered.

Granted, a longer test period before release would alleviate some of the end user frustration...but i feel most companies involved in Ebikes are guilty of this.

Bosch with creaky motors that need attention, Impulse that need software updates,Panasonic with a drive sprocket that catches the chain etc..all have their issues in some way-It's how they are addressed by the companies that sort the chaff from the wheat.

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
Haha...That's an impossible question to answer really Trex.
At some point or another they have ALL had me banging my head against a wall asking"why is it so damn hard just to sell bikes?!"
My biggest bug bear is when you have to return a part for assessment to a foreign country BEFORE they will release a replacement, though they are improving in this matter and is almost a thing of the past.
They have all been guilty of a lack of communication at times, which in this day and age of tablets, emails and high speed internet completely baffles me.
The latest hurdle is having to deal with separate parts suppliers to gather the required parts, such as Tektro,Magura,B+M,Avid rather than the bike supplier having stock of these.
When we imported Ezee bikes and BH Emotion we made damn sure we had several extra bikes worth of parts to back them up at all times.
Wisper support stand out above the rest with regards to having the necessary parts and issuing them quickly when needed.
Unfortunately it seems to be the norm nowadays to react to issues rather than prepare for them, so there will always be a delay-there will always be a solution, but after a delay-though generally not more than 2 weeks.
We (the UK) are the poor relations in the world of Ebikes, and seem to be dealt with by the Europeans almost as an afterthought....and until we start making them more money via increased sales, it will probably remain that way.
Just my rumblings and ruminations....

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
martin, it was me deleting the question I thought maybe not of much interest. From esthetic point of view, BH bikes always cause me to stop and admire whenever I spot a new model in a shop window. I thought BH are very attractively priced too.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I had the bearing issue on my BH NEO Xtrem after 100miles of use, which was sorted quickly after I complained the importer. The dealer was dragging his heals. The captive frame nuts used to secure a rear rack also just spin inside of the frame, but I cured that one myself.

I'm now just hoping that they hurry up replace my front forks with no hassle.

Not something that I would expect to have to replace after only 4months and 500 miles. I can't see them lasting a winter of use.

Last edited:

melb-ourne

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 3, 2013
melb, australia
I had the bearing issue on my BH NEO Xtrem after 100miles of use, which was sorted quickly after I complained the importer. The dealer was dragging his heals. The captive frame nuts used to secure a rear rack also just spin inside of the frame, but I cured that one myself.

I'm now just hoping that they hurry up replace my front forks with no hassle.

Not something that I would expect to have to replace after only 4months and 500 miles. I can't see them lasting a winter of use.

lol... damn.

I have been commuting on my Neo Xtrem for 11 months/6000 km and not encountered any problem yet...finger-crossed. I am getting a bit concerned... a few people in Oz is having similiar problems also.

Not sure about fork pics what is the problem?? look like rust?

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
They have all been guilty of a lack of communication at times, which in this day and age of tablets, emails and high speed internet completely baffles me
Absolutely... I will not deal with any dealer or importer that fails to reply, or ignores emails containng inconvenient questions:

That's one reason I ended up buying one of John's kits - The other being that it's a lovely bit of kit.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
lol... damn.
Not sure about fork pics what is the problem?? look like rust?
Sadly it is rust. I wash, clean and dry the bike thoroughly each time that I venture off road, and even coat the bike in ACF50 including a wipe on wipe off of the fork tubes. This rust appeared the day after the one occasion that I didn't. There doesn't appear to be much if any chrome on the lower section of the tube.

The bike is at the dealers at the moment having it's first service, and they are aware of the fork issue, and are sending them back to BH (I hope)

My issues aside, I'd still recommend the bike to anyone, and riding it never fails to put a smile on my face. :)

Problems and faults can happen with anything that you buy, the important bit is how the dealer and importer deal with the situation. Watch this space for that.

The worst incident of poor service that I have had was when I rejected a new commercial vehicle. It wasted five years of my life, two days in court, as I had to take the dealer, the importer, the manufacturer and finance company to court. I won the case, but it wasn't a nice thing to go through.
With 5 barristers, 8 solicitors, 2 professional witnesses, I'd have lost my house and everything if I'd lost the case. The importer still tried to wriggle out of things after I had won, by making the company dormant. It then went to high court, and I got everything back apart from interest.
Despite what I have read on this forum in a couple of other threads, the buck doesn't stop with the dealer when it comes to a claim.

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Good wheel builder

I have built wheels on a few occasions myself but I prefer to outsource to someone who does it day in day out, is an expert and 100% reliable.

Sadly he is not in Milton Keynes, we can build F1 world championship wining cars here, but not it seems bicycle wheels.

Graham is booked out with work until the New Year and I am not going to reveal his name incase he gets even busier.............download (1).jpeg

maloflora

Pedelecer
Nov 13, 2012
Thanks all - lots more useful advice. Will draw the attention of the dealer to this thread if I get no joy from the wheel rebuild.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Wisper support stand out above the rest with regards to having the necessary parts and issuing them quickly when needed.
Unfortunately it seems to be the norm nowadays to react to issues rather than prepare for them, so there will always be a delay-there will always be a solution, but after a delay-though generally not more than 2 weeks.
Thanks Martin, we do try very hard to be able to come to the rescue if there is a problem with one of our bikes, no mater how old it is. We have nearly £70,000 worth of spares on the shelf for same day despatch. If we don't have the part in stock we will normally fly it in.

We have decided to change our warranty now to say if we can't get a customer back on the road within 5 days we will swap out the faulty bike. FreeGo have been doing this for more than a year now and have only ever had to swap two bikes. Considering FreeGo sell more bikes than anyone else in the UK this is no small achievement.

All the best

David

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
David, your warranty and back up is certainly better than that offered by BH. They knew about the issue with my front forks 3wks ago when the dealer emailed them photos, and I'm still without a bike while I wait for them to sort it.

This is in no way the fault of the dealer, but importer and BH certainly suck as a companies.

What annoys me most, is that I could have bought a new set of identical forks for £54.00 and fitted them myself. If the forks retail at £54.00 then BH must be getting them for next to nothing, so why drag things out.

Last edited:
You guys are being far to nice to your dealers, you bought the bike off them, your contract is with them - they should sort it out.

In the case of the forks, the dealer should be going to the uk distributor for the forks, for them to be replaced.

If that's taking too long, they should replace the forks from their stock and wait for replacements from either BH or the fork brand themselves.

Different brands handle warranty in different ways, but generally the components will be looked after by the component brands, not the bike brand.

And it's the same with the wheel, the shop should be rebuilding it for you, and then they bill BH for the time.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I agree totally.
The manufacturers concede a reasonable margin to the dealer to ensure that the customers get a good service when it comes to situations like these - about 25 - 28% of what you paid went to the dealer, for what?
After a week, I'd insist to see the proof that the dealer has acted on my behalf.

Last edited: