Bicycle parking etiquette

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
My employers have bicycle parking in the car park under a plastic canopy. Due to congestion they put some more bike 'hoops' in front of the canopy but obviously these are unprotected from the weather. I arrived at work last week and all the protected hoops have a single bike secured to them. Now my ebike is waterproof but I'm not going to leave it outside in heavy rain for 9 hours, so I doubled up with another bike. At the end of my shift I find a snotty note stuck to my bike telling me to use an unused hoop and not inconvenience other riders.
Really? Aren't these hoops designed to have a bike either side? Is it me?

I'd be interested in forum members opinions on this.

Darren

Reactions: AlanRHB

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's perfectly ok to park on and lock to both sides Darren, done all the time in my area.

That note writer was clearly a selfish person, your bike on the other side could hardly have inconvenienced them to any degree.

Reactions: Andy McNish

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It can be awkward to get a bike out if the bars from another overlap it, which is I guess why the guy complained. Suggest that the other guy puts his bike in facing out, so that when you put yours facing in, he won't be hindered. Instead, you'll be slightly hindered putting your in.

Second suggestion: take an old bike to work and leave it locked under cover, then you can always lock your electric bike to the other side of the rack and nobody will complain. If anybody asks, tell them it's your emergency bike in case your electrics break down, to save you from pedalling a heavy bike without power.

Reactions: Gringo

Darren Hayward

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2015
If only I had an old bike:p

I have always parked my bike doubled up with the handlebars the opposite way around to the bike already parked there without thinking about it.
I think I simply found someone in a bad mood that day and I'll just carry on as I always have.

Darren

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If only I had an old bike:p

I have always parked my bike doubled up with the handlebars the opposite way around to the bike already parked there without thinking about it.
I think I simply found someone in a bad mood that day and I'll just carry on as I always have.

Darren
Surely, if you had parked your bike the other way round, it would make their bike harder to get out, which is what put them in a bad mood.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I simply found someone in a bad mood that day
The daft thing is Darren that it probably took them longer to write the note than it took to get their bike out!

A bad mood indeed, bad enough to make their own life more difficult.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
With not enough places to park and lock my bike I cram it in and lock it up wherever a bit of space allows and very often on the opposite side of a bike already parked. I must admit I have never considered the handlebar situation as whenever I have had a handlebar locking situation when removing my bike I have just lifted the front of my bike and wheeled it backwards being careful not to snag cables. My greatest concern is not to lock the other bike as well as mine by mistake. Sounds like I am due a few angry notes!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A thumbtack discretely placed under a tyre of the bike concerned... :rolleyes: Just your way of saying thank you for the kind note...