Bicycle Seat

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Hi,

I think I will have to chnage the seat on my bike as the seat is very uncomfortable. Don't understand why as it was fine for 2 weeks.
Which replacement seat would users recommend as I can't bear it any more.

Thanks

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That's a difficult question as it depends on sex, type of riding and personal preference.
Mens and womens saddles are very different for good reasons, that's a good starting place.
Gel saddles can put pressure in the wrong places, harder saddles whilst not as comfy to begin with are much better over higher miles.

You don't have to spend loads, my favourite saddle cost a fiver from the LBS bargain bin.

Are you male or female?
Rough age?
Type of bike?
Distance and frequency of riding?

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Cheers, where is the LBS bargain bin?

I don't ride many miles but all day yesterday and today have been painful, I have had to ask the wife to give me a massage.

The seat I have at the moment has got suspension so I think this may be the cause as it wobbles when I go over bumpy parts of the road.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cheers, where is the LBS bargain bin?
LBS is a standard abbreviation for Local Bike Shop, they often have various saddles around to check out. As the others have said, it's difficult to advise since we are all different, but if you can ascertain the pain area and relate that to the saddle shape and any padding, that may give a clue what to avoid in choosing another one.

Usage is important though, the pain can often be ridden through and then disappear with repeated rides. Then if the bike isn't ridden for a couple of weeks, the pain can return when riding is resumed, basically a matter of what the body gets used to.

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
LBS is a standard abbreviation for Local Bike Shop, they often have various saddles around to check out. As the others have said, it's difficult to advise since we are all different, but if you can ascertain the pain area and relate that to the saddle shape and any padding, that may give a clue what to avoid in choosing another one.

Usage is important though, the pain can often be ridden through and then disappear with repeated rides. Then if the bike isn't ridden for a couple of weeks, the pain can return when riding is resumed, basically a matter of what the body gets used to.
I agree with Flecc on this. the more you ride the more comfortable a saddle seems to become. I have used big gel padded saddles but now use a road saddle. im a big guy but find a skinny saddle far more comfortable. I also have a cutaway in the middle with relieves pressure on the perineum and makes sure the blood can flow properly to your more delicate areas. padded shorts might also be worth considering too.

Abs_N

Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for your replies guys, I think I will first try padded underwear and if this does not work I will look at replacement seats.

Thanks