Bigbear or Sunbear, that is the question.

jimarion

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 14, 2015
The title says it all.
We have just bought a Woosh Sant Ana Petit for my wife and are happy with it. We're retired motorhomers and just need transport from camp sites to local towns and a bit of siteseeing, mainly in Spain and France. My old legs are weakening to the extent that some of the inclines are getting a bit much for me on my ordinary bike.
The Bigbear gets fairly good review on this forum but I never see the Sunbear quoted. Has anybody got opinions on the Sunbear please?
Or has anyone got a better idea?
I do fancy the idea of the 180mm BPM motor and would prefer a step through frame.
I look forward to your expert replies.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
By all means go for the Sunbear for that step-through frame, they are pretty much equal bikes, just so long as you are happy with the gears difference.

The Sunbear has a Nexus hub gear with a chaincase that will need less chain maintenance. The Big Bear has a derailleur gear.

You may have experience of both, but if not, the hub gears can be changed at a standstill but need a pause in pedalling to change when cycling.

The derailleur gear change is while pedalling but cannot be changed at a standstill, so it's necessary to change down in advance as you slow to a stop.

Reactions: One_Box

jimarion

Feb 14, 2015
Hi Flecc
Thanks for that
I have no experience of hub gears what so ever and this is one of the reasons I am asking for advice.
What is your opinion of the Sunbear?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
It's a new model so I doubt many of us will have tried one.

Fair to assume it will have the usual strengths and weaknesses of other woosh bikes.

If you are happy with your wife's woosh, you are likely to be equally pleased with either Bear.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know it personally, but Woosh are a trusted supplier and it's specification is very much like that of the Big Bear which is popular in this forum. You'll certainly appreciate the power on either of them.

As for the gears, I like both types for their respective advantages. That 7 speed Nexus hub gear in the Sunbear is a long established one, and once adjusted correctly is very reliable. The hub gear ownership benefits are virtually no maintenance once adjusted and any oil can be used on the chain. That all-over chainguard will keep the chain clean too, but it makes rear wheel removal more fiddly.

Most prefer derailleurs though, and if you are used to those you might prefer the Big Bear and lose the step-though advantage.

Given the high power of the motors on these two, the gears will not be stressed anyway, so the choice of type isn't critical.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
I noticed just now Woosh have very recently added a "Big Bear Low Step" model, so I gather it needn't any longer be a choice between the crossbar of the BB and the low step of the SB. I noticed that the SB is 27 and BB 26 kg; the SB and crossbar BB are advised to be for big folk i.e. above 5'10"; and the BBLS for people 5'4" and above, and that those 5'3"-5'6" should ask for the low profile seat post.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Sunbear is the biggest and heaviest bike of the three, its bigger frame and the Nexus-7 hub gear add a bit of weight.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Big Bear LS is a very comfortable and powerful bike. I'd be very surprised if you weren't happy with one. The hub gears on the Sun Bear seem to me to be unnecessary extra weight and complication for those that insist on hub-gears.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Alternatively Woosh do a kit for £500 with the same electrical parts and motor laced into a wheel, as the BB/SB, if there's another bike you own or have your eye on.

jimarion

Feb 14, 2015
Thanks Guys,
I'm decided on the Bigbear after listening to you all.
Cheers for now.

bartyfixedit

Just Joined
Apr 27, 2015
I recently bought the sun bear myself. My reason for selecting the Sun Bear was that I also wish to use the bike with a camper van and so it is going to be carried on a rear mounted bike rack. It struck me that while on the rack the bike will be in that plume of spray and muck at the back of any van and so the enclosed chain and hub struck me as a good idea. While lifting a bike on and off a rack it is also very easy to damage a derailleur.

I haven't had it long enough to tell you if it was the right choice:)

jimarion

Feb 14, 2015
I recently bought the sun bear myself. My reason for selecting the Sun Bear was that I also wish to use the bike with a camper van and so it is going to be carried on a rear mounted bike rack. It struck me that while on the rack the bike will be in that plume of spray and muck at the back of any van and so the enclosed chain and hub struck me as a good idea. While lifting a bike on and off a rack it is also very easy to damage a derailleur.

I haven't had it long enough to tell you if it was the right choice:)
I've just received my Big Bear to-day and just had a short trial run. Wow!!!.
Compared to my wifes Sant Ana Petite it's dynamite. I need to get some real practice in. Seven gears and Five levels of assist = 35 options.
I have a large garage at the back of my motorhome so I'm not concerned about spray. I'd be more concerned about lifting 26/27 kilos onto a rack.
I hope you find you've made the right decision. I think it's a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other...you pays your money and you takes your pick.
I have a hospital appointment tomorrow so can't give it a proper trial, but if the weather is fine on Wednesday I'm going to complete the Preston Wheel (21 miles). It virtually passes our house.
Regards

bartyfixedit

Just Joined
Apr 27, 2015
Just realised that there were a couple of things I didn't mention:

The bike, being our first electric bike, is for both my wife and I, and she insists on step through. She also has very long legs, particularly bum to knee so the sun bear is probably the best for her.

I also should have explained that the bike rack is a towbar mounted one so I don't have to lift the bike too high, hence not being too bothered about the extra weight.

Have fun doing the Preston Wheel,

All The Best,

David.

jimarion

Feb 14, 2015
Just realised that there were a couple of things I didn't mention:

The bike, being our first electric bike, is for both my wife and I, and she insists on step through. She also has very long legs, particularly bum to knee so the sun bear is probably the best for her.

I also should have explained that the bike rack is a towbar mounted one so I don't have to lift the bike too high, hence not being too bothered about the extra weight.

Have fun doing the Preston Wheel,

All The Best,

David.
My legs are getting weak, so I got the Big Bear with the step though frame.

davidneedsabike

Sep 12, 2015
... so how did you get on and what do you think of the Bear? - Will it go up any hills without killing the range?

jimarion

Feb 14, 2015
... so how did you get on and what do you think of the Bear? - Will it go up any hills without killing the range?
It'll go up a house side. My only concern is wheel spin setting off using the throttle, but it's not a big problem. As I write this I am in Spain and throttles aren't allowed here, so I am disconnecting it.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Having upgraded to a Big Bear about 2 months ago, I can certainly recommend it. No problems so far and it is SO powerful. I do agree about the wheel spin. Spin can also happen when pedalling and starting off on speed setting No 3, especially if going up a small incline - presumably because all the weight (me and that very heavy battery!) is at the back.

Wingreen

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
Anglesey
Sorry, cant answer that. I've only ever used the throttle just to check that it works. I always pedal as well. I think relying on the throttle alone is far more demanding on the battery than even just a bit of pedalling. However, I've no doubt it could cope quite well just on the throttle, but I'm not in a position to give any definitive information.

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
i test drove the big bear myself last weekend and the thing kicks like a mule on the throttle in first gear due to that huge front hub and all the weight on the rear, could be fun in the snow!

i went for crank driven krieger in the end, more gradual power felt more natural and smoother for me.