bike bus

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
Have been reading about bike bus service from Edinburgh to Berwick and border areas. they have increased bike space from two to ten bikes, and plan 20 bike space by febuary. easy fitting bike rack just sits in rack, not like the hideous cattle hooks on trains, having to try and lift a ebike onto the hooks. I think this is long overdue and hopefully expands around uk.

Reactions: mike killay

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
"they have increased bike space from two to ten bikes, and plan 20 bike space by febuary."

Great idea, but my reading is that the space is for two bikes in each bus, the increase in buses fitted out, giving the increased capacity.

Would like to see the concept here on the South coast, but as young ladies with pushchairs frequently get left at the bus stop simply because the bus disabled space is already filled with pushchairs or disabled vehicles I can't see it being viable.
I could take the early bus before they get out and then cycle home. ;)

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
"they have increased bike space from two to ten bikes, and plan 20 bike space by febuary."

Great idea, but my reading is that the space is for two bikes in each bus, the increase in buses fitted out, giving the increased capacity.

Would like to see the concept here on the South coast, but as young ladies with pushchairs frequently get left at the bus stop simply because the bus disabled space is already filled with pushchairs or disabled vehicles I can't see it being viable.
I could take the early bus before they get out and then cycle home. ;)

nightrider

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
yes you are quite right, my mistake, I was wondering how they would get 20 bike spaces on a bus, silly me

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yes you are quite right, my mistake, I was wondering how they would get 20 bike spaces on a bus, silly me
No, not silly Nightrider. One bus company is considering having their buses pulling bike carrying trailers and other countries do have external bike racks on buses. I'm sure I've also read of bike carrying trailers behind buses in another country.

Information link

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Don't hold your breath folks, I have been involved in the Bus industry for nearly 40 years and this wont happen, the only time you might see a bike trailer with a bus is if it is doing long distance, certainly not doing stage carriage around towns and cities.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Devon Bike Bus at Salisbury Cycle Conference - a long way from home in Ilfracombe: