'Bike' car

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Want to change my car for one that would take two fully built bikes standing up for riding further afield.
That way I don't have to faff about with racks and things. Obviously a small van springs to mind but don't really want to drive a van on a daily basis.. Is there any car on the market with a high top and a floor to ceiling height of say 47"? Looked at things like the Berlingo, bit utilitarian but even this wasn't tall enough.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing out there that isn't 'van-ish' but if anyone has any ideas.....?
Nice colour, stylish, 500 miles to the gallon, air con and low price tag would also be nice.....(ha ha!)

Asked the boys here to build me one but they said 'no'.

Hatti

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
this is the one for you:
Budget 'Big Bear':

oops this one does 500 gallons to the mile.

Reactions: Woosh

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
'Skoda' Roomster or maybe a even a Yeti' should you be able to afford or find one!
Yeah, all right its a Skoda, but they are seriously good motors these days , outperform their more upmarket stablemates in terms of VFM!

Reactions: shambolic and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just realised what I need - a London taxi without the back seats!
Only problem is I can't afford the huge price tag ......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just realised what I need - a London taxi without the back seats!
Only problem is I can't afford the huge price tag ......
They are available second hand as well, usually maintained to a very high standard by law and their annual inspection regime. One with heavily worn or damaged rear seats might be very cheap.

Here's a link

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Ford C-Max might do it.

You can remove the rear seats which I reckon would give a low enough floor to stand up a bike, especially a 26" one with not too big a frame.

Upright driving position which may or may not suit, but the car itself handles a treat.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Hatti,

What length of load bay do you need?

The Fiat Doblo Maxi van would do the job, it is spacious and economical, but it's a van.

• Load compartment length 2170 mm
  • Load compartment width from 1518 mm to 1714 mm.
  • Height 1305 mm.
  • Volume 4.2 m³
  • 1000 kg payload.
The next option if you there are going to want to accommodate more than 2 people would be a MPV (People Carrier).

Personally I use a box trailer if I am transporting more than 2 bikes, but you need a car that has enough grunt to tow it, in my case a Volvo V50 D5.

If just carrying 2 bikes, I use a towbar mounted Thule rack like this one
http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/towbar-mounted-bike-carriers/thule-europower-916-_-916000

The are easy to use and even have a ramp to wheel bikes onto the rack.

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
'Skoda' Roomster or maybe a even a Yeti' should you be able to afford or find one!
Yeah, all right its a Skoda, but they are seriously good motors these days , outperform their more upmarket stablemates in terms of VFM!
No chance with a Yeti! That's what I have and, while it's an excellent car, there's no room inside for upright bikes. I use the Thule Europower carrier which is perfect for carrying two bikes.

Jim

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi all

Rob F, I have a Focus Cmax at the moment, its no good. Length and height about 50 cms short either way. I think John is right (he usually is!) - I've either got to go for a people carrier and take out the seats (and they are basically vans aren't they?) or just change my car, get a good towbar on it and put them outside.
Not something I really wanted to do but as someone else pointed out, putting bikes actually into cars is hassly. If upright they'll keel over and scratch each other unless you put some sort of bike parking rack in, and if they lie on the boot floor, one's got to go on top of the other. I've had problems with other stuff thats got to sit upright in the past - eg tall houseplants. There must be a high top car somewhere..........

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Flecc

That's it! That's the one. Going to have a look on Autotrader this evening.
Hatti

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
JohnCade,
Love it!

Keep the suggestions coming in folks.
Off for a cycle to the seafront now. Bit cooler, should be nice.

Hatti

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
There's a people-carrier version of the Peugeot Expert van, called the Tepee. If the seats fold flat or remove completely it would do the job.
I have an Expert van with rear seat conversion &, with one seat removed, I carry 2 bikes: There's 7'6" behind the front seats & plenty of headroom.

Attachments

rippedupno1

Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2013
Dudley,west midlands
The chrysler grand voyager is a 7 seat people carrier that has stow and go seats that fold into the floor

The pics are from a 2005 model that can now be had for sensible money.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Surely a double cab truck would suit best, preferably with a canvas cover over the back. That way you have lots of height, easy loading access and 4 seats with all the trimmings.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Yes, there's lots of them Hatti, even with built-in showrooms:

Strangely enough, more than 50 years ago, my father had a Rolls Royce hearse. He was never an undertaker he just bought it. No one knows why, especially my mother. It was used many times to house a card school with a few shillings at stake.

Maybe that's why I'm unorthodox and do daft things like race buses uphill on my Typhoon.

Hatti! get it bought, you know you REALLY want to. :)

Reactions: flecc