Bike Europe draws attention to illegal tuning kits

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I understand now. The difficulty is for the existing s-pedelecs as sold in Germany - but stalkingcat prototype is built to L1e-B from the ground up.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Please try and jump into the real world.
I get all this since I am in the real world, but when it's posted in here, not in a motorcycle shop, that the Stromer is an e-bike, all the newbies who enter here asking for an e-bike that will carry them at 25 mph can be misled that's the norm.

What I don't understand is why you and others get upset when I point out it's a moped with all that entails. In this e-bike forum why hide a truth that could lead others into difficulties?

They should know and not be misled by posts saying there's little or no problem. Then they can make their own informed decision, and if that's opting for illegality I don't mind, that's their business and none of mine.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
The difficulty is for the existing s-pedelecs as sold in Germany - but stalkingcat prototype is built to L1e-B from the ground up.
I think with the power that I have in mind it may have to be put through as a L3e. One step at a time though:)

Reactions: trex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think with the power that I have in mind it may have to be put through as a L3e. One step at a time though:)
Possibly, but of course we are in a state of flux at the moment. The current type approval regulations only hold until 31st December 2016, then from 1st January 2017 new regulations will be in force EU wide, including the UK.

The major differences seem to be the EU incorporating many of the United Nations UNECE regulations to ensure as much global conformity as possible.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Stop misquoting me, its getting childish.
Ive been riding at the privatly owed Matchams park for years. Lots of people take there road registered enduro bikes up there to use safely away from the general public.
My new build will be road legal.
Really, what happened guys?
But you said trips to the shops
See quote from you earlier on your 500 to 10kw build!

Its just 24s 5ah for quick runs to the shop and round the forest next to me.

I have 2 triangle bags, one for each side which can take another 10ah but yet to try it out.
If I don't want the bike to be crazzy heavy, I will prob stick to a spare pack in a rucksack....

Controller wise, I'm still undecided, either an Infineon based 18 fet, a Greentime 24 fet or an Adaptto 11kw beast, although I think I may save the Max-e for a purpose built 10kw frame that's in the pipeline...

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
Oh D8ve, just let it go!

If you look back you will also read that my trips to the shop are often without a battery pack. My shop is 3 mins away, I can roll there. If my pack is connected then I do admit that I have sometimes done the crazzzy thing of opening it up to 15mph.
The forest next to me is Matchams private MX track and I transport the bike there in my van.

The bike you are referring to hasn't even been ridden electric. I've yet to finish it. I said that I tested the Vboxx with no electric fitted. I haven't even hooked up a controller yet.

I will hopefully put one of these 10kw bikes (I have a few) through test sometime soon so that I can legally ride it on the road.

Last edited:

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
Have any of you written to the Queen asking for her groundsmen to stop mowing the estate lawns on their illegal ride on mowers because there is a public access gate on part of the estate? I mean how far do you what to go?
If you were in North Korea you would be put in jail for your illegal beard. Some North koreans would say, well the law is the law.
(disclaimer, I do not intend to insult those styling facial hair, I often do myself)

Last edited:
Yes lets close the chapter on that one, apologies KTM for my snappy initial response when you quoted me.
We were essentially talking about different areas which got whittled down to how the phrase 'off road' is used and perceived.
we're not talking about different things, but I'll let that slide.

Thanks for finally understanding my point... as you were my example at the very very start of this thread, when I was saying.

The constant misuse of the "off-road" terminology just shows that education is needed for many on here.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have any of you written to the Queen asking for her groundsmen to stop mowing the estate lawns on their illegal ride on mowers because there is a public access gate on part of the estate?
No, for that in regulation 168/2013 she has exemption from type approval as a motor vehicle:

Exemptions section 1.1(g): "Vehicles primarily intended for off-road use and designed to travel on unpaved surfaces". :)

Reactions: tillson

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I hope to upgrade to an s-pedelec in 2017. If I can build it myself.

I am putting a mirror on my bike - a very good idea on the open road here. I will be insuring my pedelec - my insurance company requires that not the law, I agree with them on this point. I have a drivers licence. All that is missing from my pedelec project is the number plate and light.

Problem: you can't pedal with a motorbike helmet on your head, well not very far anyway...

Oh and if you get pulled over for a breath test on a s-pedelec and you are positive you will certainly be fined and lose points...

Tony

D

Deleted member 4366

What I don't understand is why you and others get upset when I point out it's a moped with all that entails. In this e-bike forum why hide a truth that could lead others into difficulties?

They should know and not be misled by posts saying there's little or no problem. Then they can make their own informed decision, and if that's opting for illegality I don't mind, that's their business and none of mine.
I don't get upset when anyone calls it a moped. I've called it that myself. I only get annoyed by those that think it's difficult to have a legal fast/powerful electric bicycle. Although we can call it a moped because that's the closest legal definition, in reality it's an electric bicycle since you have to pedal it to get the power. It's the same as what we ride, but it has a bit more power and weight. IIRC there's no throttle.

Previously, I didn't realise how type approval of these vehicles means that you don't have to jump through any hoops to register them. The manufacturers have already done that, so now you can have one legally without the hassle of inspections, etc.

Reactions: trex and flecc

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
The constant misuse of the "off-road" terminology just shows that education is needed for many on here.
Well I intend to go on 'misusing' the term 'off-road'

you lots are ridiculous, Please throw me off!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Problem: you can't pedal with a motorbike helmet on your head, well not very far anyway...

Oh and if you get pulled over for a breath test on a s-pedelec and you are positive you will certainly be fined and lose points...

Tony
Well I hope the French government will permit cycle helmets on the S class in 2017 Tony.

Good point on breath testing, plus a driving licence ban! :(

Well I intend to go on 'misusing' the term 'off-road'

you lots are ridiculous, Please throw me off!
you've got to realise, you're thinking in terms of motorbikes. In terms of bicycles (and pedelecs are bicycles, not motorbikes). You're misusing the term off-road and as you're selling the bicycles as a commercial business this has serious implications to your liability and trading standards will have big concerns about you selling non CE certified products. So whilst you might want to carry on misusing the term, at some point it might become a big problem for you.

Hence my statement on page 1, that people like you do need to have a better understanding of the law.

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
you've got to realise, you're thinking in terms of motorbikes.
Yes I understand that but you took my quote from a thread i created about 5kw+ bikes and I stated that I am going to register it as a motorbike.

Not a direct misquote, but you dragged it over to 15mph pedelec thread and said that I was misusing the word.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not sure about the usage implications at Matchams, but StalkingCat's high powered bikes don't need type approval for sale since he is designing them for off road use.

This is the exemption in EU type approval regulation 168/2013:

Section 1.1(g): "Vehicles primarily intended for off-road use and designed to travel on unpaved surfaces".

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
My business, when set up, will hopefully be selling electric bikes, with pedals and also fully road registered. I have sold one, 2nd hand bike on ebay and I stated that its not for road use.
The phrase 'offroad' won't really mean much to my business as my bikes will be classed as mopeds/motorbikes, which hopefully can be ridden on some sort of private MX track, although I actually see of whole new category of sport being created at some point, especially for the qualities that these bikes potentially have.

Hence my statement on page 1, that people like you do need to have a better understanding of the law.
That is why I snapped a bit, because you took my quote, used it and still think that, firstly I don't understand the law, and secondly that I should thank you for explaining it to me.
Its really not that complicated.
WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO RIDE ANYWHERE WHICH HAS PUBLIC ACCESS.
I get it!!!

Last edited:

Stalkingcat

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2015
Not sure about the usage implications at Matchams, but StalkingCat's high powered bikes don't need type approval for sale since he is designing them for off road use
Ok, what if I then 'enduro' them up for road use as that's the plan?