Bike for specific needs?

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Hi all, so I have been using one of the electric mopeds for quite a while now and it has been great for me, having mobility problems. Now I have problems with blood pressure so I need something with more of an excersise tilt. I can only pedal for brief periods and then need the throttle to takeover completely. I plan to go on increasingly long journeys little by little, so eventually I can get to friends who live 25 miles plus away. I also think a folder would be a good idea so if I get over tired I can just phone a friend or Taxi, throw it in and go home. I suspect the small wheeled folders would not be so great for long distance with hills included? The favourite so far is the Woosh Zephyr B, seems to tick the boxes and an extra battery is not too costly.They are not so far from me, I am in North Essex. So might go and have a look sometime in Southend, do they have all the models there on show? I need to check I am ok stepping on and off the bike.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Southend is their base of operations. They keep all their stock and prepare bikes there, Cambridge is only a showroom. You can test ride bikes from both locations but only take away bikes from Southend.

Reactions: OldBob1

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Cheers, will try and get down to Southend soon. Am I correct about the smaller wheeled models not being up to long distances?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not so pleasant to ride over longer distances, due mainly to often compromised geometry and the smaller wheels less comfortable over road irregularities.

D

Deleted member 4366

The electrics are chalk and cheese. The Z4 description says adjustable pedal assist, but,all I can see is something that looks like a three-speed switch rather than a control panel. The three-speed switches that I've tried didn't have three logical levels like you get from the panel types.The Z4 has the low power 120mm sized motor compared with the Zephyr's high torque 180mm BPM. The Zephyr has hydraulic brakes while as the Z4 has cable ones.

In summary, I'd say that the Zephyr is better value, but if you're not too heavy, the Z4 might be adequate.

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
Are the 180mm BPM motors actually legal. I read somewhere that they are 350W?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All the BPMs are 180mm and the one in the Zephyr B is definitely rated as 250 watts and legal.