bike locks

Fin

Pedelecer
May 6, 2017
Newcastle
If I came back and saw my lock was full of glue i'd stand by it and call someone to bring either a jet lighter to melt the glue off or a grinder.
If I came back and found the lock was full of glue I think I'd just sit down and cry, lol!

Fin

Pedelecer
May 6, 2017
Newcastle
I reckont the more a bike is locked up the more likely it is to be pinched. It's a challenge for some. See a bike unlocked and they think there may be a reason. Maybe it's alarmed. Maybe under surveillance. I woudn't suggest you try it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I go on the hope that if mines going to take time to pinch, maybe the one next to it wouldn't take as much time so they'd go for that one, it's not a nice way to think about it tho, :oops:

JimRides

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2016
Liverpool
I use 3 locks at once - a big heavy chain & padlock thing which looks good (whether it is or not I don't know), a combination cable lock and a very lame key opening cable lock from Poundland. I'm just hoping any potential thief will see all the different locks and think it isn't worth the effort!

Reactions: LeighPing and Fin

digbyblack

Just Joined
Apr 24, 2017
London
The Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 is quite lightweight at 3.75 lb (1.70 kg). I find it easy to ride with as well.

It's also tough. Here's an American trying to cut through a series 4 (although a shorter version) with an angle grinder:

And here in London, you do get those hooded chaps and other scalawags wielding power-tools to nick your stuff, so it's good to know that it will take 'em a while to slice their way through the lock before they can pinch your lovely new ebike.

• Informative

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 is quite lightweight at 3.75 lb (1.70 kg). I find it easy to ride with as well.

It's also tough. Here's an American trying to cut through a series 4 (although a shorter version) with an angle grinder:

And here in London, you do get those hooded chaps and other scalawags wielding power-tools to nick your stuff, so it's good to know that it will take 'em a while to slice their way through the lock before they can pinch your lovely new ebike.
Problem is the chain, I would have liked to see him cut that as well.

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels and Fin

Fin

Pedelecer
May 6, 2017
Newcastle
I use 3 locks at once - a big heavy chain & padlock thing which looks good (whether it is or not I don't know), a combination cable lock and a very lame key opening cable lock from Poundland. I'm just hoping any potential thief will see all the different locks and think it isn't worth the effort!
This is what I keep thinking, I have a D lock as well, I used to take that as well as the monster chain, but I'm thinking there's got to be a decent lightweight alternative

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
If they want it they will have it. A lock is not going to deter them. They don't really want the frame anyway as it's usually stamped. They want the parts that are easy to sell. Battery, wheels, motor, suspension seatpost etc. You can't lock it all. It's important to have good insurance. Have one which will cover the cost of what it would cost you to replace it. Also important is public liability cover. Without this cover it could be very expensive for you, if for example, you scratched someones car. I've included my bike for 'away from home' on my Prudential home contents insurance.

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Informative

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
Just buy a D lock which wont be defeated by bolt cutters. Then leave your bike in a main shopping area with plenty of footfall, you won't have any problems then. No one is going to whack out an angle grinder and get to work with sparks flying all over the place.
Kryptonite New York Standard will do fine.

• Informative
  • Agree

Fin

Pedelecer
May 6, 2017
Newcastle
Just buy a D lock which wont be defeated by bolt cutters. Then leave your bike in a main shopping area with plenty of footfall, you won't have any problems then. No one is going to whack out an angle grinder and get to work with sparks flying all over the place.
Kryptonite New York Standard will do fine.
I have a kryptonite D lock, I'll start and use that one more, it's not as heavy as the chain

Marwood Hill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2016
North Devon
If they want it they will have it. A lock is not going to deter them. They don't really want the frame anyway as it's usually stamped. They want the parts that are easy to sell. Battery, wheels, motor, suspension seatpost etc. You can't lock it all. It's important to have good insurance. Have one which will cover the cost of what it would cost you to replace it. Also important is public liability cover. Without this cover it could be very expensive for you, if for example, you scratched someones car. I've included my bike for 'away from home' on my Prudential home contents insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

I recently saw a bike D-locked to railings. All that was left was the frame. It had been completely stripped of everything else.

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
I use one of those dutch-style frame locks, and I have a decent quality chain that's designed to plug into it. All made by Abus. It's not their top-rated one, but the next one down. But then my bike doesn't look anything special - it's a Raleigh utility bike with hub gears and a GSM crank drive, so hopefully not too attractive.

Reactions: Fin

Fin

Pedelecer
May 6, 2017
Newcastle
I use one of those dutch-style frame locks, and I have a decent quality chain that's designed to plug into it. All made by Abus. It's not their top-rated one, but the next one down. But then my bike doesn't look anything special - it's a Raleigh utility bike with hub gears and a GSM crank drive, so hopefully not too attractive.
I have one of those locks, it's an axa solid, but mine doesn't have the option of being able to plug a cable or chain in. I might look into changing it for a one that can, I hadn't really thought about that one.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
wasn't it the kryptonite lock brand that could be opened by inserting a biro down the key barrell

EmSeeDee

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2015
Coventry, UK
Most locks can be manipulated, but it takes skill. Most thefts are committed by scrotes that just in brute force and ingnorance.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk