Bike Maintenance

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
Hi all,

How do you all go about maintaining your E-Bike. I have had mine 8 months now and it has basically fallen apart. It is a Carrera Crossfuse.

I will list the things that have gone wrong or worn out

Headset Ballbearings worn out (Worn out - Not covered on Warranty)
Forks suspension does not work (Not covered under warranty - as they said this is 'wear and tear')

Break pads (Expected wear and tear)
Freehub body ( Expected wear and tear)
New Motor (Not covered under warranty - as they said this is 'wear and tear')
Chain (Not covered under warranty - as they said this is 'wear and tear')
Cassette (Not covered under warranty - as they said this is 'wear and tear')
Pedals (Not covered under warranty - as they said this is 'wear and tear')

I can accept that the pedals, cassette, chain, break pads and free hub body can wear out due to lack of lubrication, properly drying out the bike after use and maintenance, however the headset ballbearings, the fork suspension and the motor is more difficult to accept.

Can anyone shed light on this and is Cycle Republic correct to say these parts are not under warranty. The bike has done around 1500 miles.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I have a Crossfuse with just under a 1000 mls on it and it is perfect, some of the above I can understand but not the motor that has a 2 year warranty, what exactly happened to it? has it been modified/

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
Not at all - the independent bike shop has said it is worn out. Cycle Republic said it is wear and tear. It has been raining a lot on my commute but I should be able to cycle in the rain.

I think I am going to have to go through trading standards, however I just wanted some opinions before I do.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
IMO that's bullshit, motors and forks should not wear out in so little time.
Unless you've modified those items, they should be covered by the warranty.

Reactions: Jimo

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
No - not modified - I just ride it to get to work.

This is what they said.

"Its pretty clear from the report that lack of maintenance has contributed to the parts wearing out. Because of that nothing would be covered under warranty I'm afraid. I'd advise you accept the quote and have the work done and consider a maintenance routine for the bike in the future"

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Motor is Bosch so covered under warranty.
Headset bearings should last years and can only assume damaged because of poor original set up/tightening. A lot are now sealed bearing cases as with BB's with outer bearings they don't fail so quickly even ridden in rain.
Forks shouldn't fail after 8 months as with all above.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the forks will be crap anyway but the motor will have 2 year warranty but what is wrong with it? if bosch they can not open it and has to be sent back to bosch for replacement.

as for the other parts you wont have any warranty but the cheaper the parts the more you have to look after them sounds like you just never bothered lol.

what are they saying it is going to cost to fix it all?

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
Motor is Bosch so covered under warranty.
Headset bearings should last years and can only assume damaged because of poor original set up/tightening.
Forks shouldn't fail after 8 months as with all above.
That's what I thought - Cycle Republic are not having it though. I have had quite an email exchange with them and they are holding fast.

The cycle repair shop said the headset bearing wouldn't have been greased properly when it was built. I am not sure of the exact problem of the motor at the moment, the shop said it failed tests and needs replacing. The suspension just doesn't work at all and is stuck in one position.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
"Its pretty clear from the report that lack of maintenance has contributed to the parts wearing out. Because of that nothing would be covered under warranty I'm afraid".
What maintenance are you supposed to carry out on the motor?
The shops/dealers aren't even allowed to fix them, if they go wrong, they get sent back for replacement.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well bosch motors have 2 year warranty they can not be open buy dealers to fix if there is warranty left and should be sent back to bosch for replacement, if they quote you for a new motor they will be ripping you of big time.

other bosch dealers can take over the warranty for the motor but you might have to pay for postage.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
CR are taking the Peeeee.
I wouldn't expect wear and tear to be significant on an 8 monrh old bike though depends on the mileage in that time.
My main bike ( now in to year 8 ) gets used almost daily all year round, the most I do each year is check brake pad wear and a manual check of bearingsand head set/BB or front wheel, generally though play would show up or be felt. Every 2 - 3 years I will strip hubs out and regrease. Sealed bearings if any play/grinding simply get replaced which is rare.
The Suntour 63mm forks work well and are several years old never done anything to them.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
can you post pictures of the bike and worn out parts?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Hi all,

How do you all go about maintaining your E-Bike. I have had mine 8 months now and it has basically fallen apart.
Learn how to do all the bike maintenance your self and buy a few simple basic tools.
Since having my very fist bike when I was 12 or 13 some 45 years ago, I have never ever yet had any bike in a repair shop for work.
You never stop learning in the last 7 years I have self taught myself to lace and true rims/wheels, even constructing a truing stand to do so .

lolipop808

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2019
CR are taking the Peeeee.
I wouldn't expect wear and tear to be significant on an 8 monrh old bike though depends on the mileage in that time.
My main bike ( now in to year 8 ) gets used almost daily all year round, the most I do each year is check brake pad wear and a manual check of bearingsand head set/BB or front wheel, generally though play would show up or be felt. Every 2 - 3 years I will strip hubs out and regrease. Sealed bearings if any play/grinding simply get replaced which is rare.
The Suntour 63mm forks work well and are several years old never done anything to them.
Thank you - it's done 1500 miles so not too many. Ridden in rain and snow but always keep indoors.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you have the new active line motor you cant even buy them yet so warranty is the only option.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
No wonder Cycle Republic are saying that if you have not taken it back to them, if you bought it from Cycle Republic and it is under warranty why would you not take it back to them?