bike mirrors

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Well yes I was considering doing that, But now have ordered this male to male lead below, as at controlller its female and at thumb throttle its also female

View attachment 56679
To test the throttle, I would have soldered straightened paperclips onto both ends of three wires, added heatshrink, and shoved them into the female holes of both connectors... and changed which holes I was shoving them into until I found a combination which worked. Leaves the throttle in a refundable state, as opposed to cutting off both connectors.

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
To test the throttle, I would have soldered straightened paperclips onto both ends of three wires, added heatshrink, and shoved them into the female holes of both connectors... and changed which holes I was shoving them into until I found a combination which worked. Leaves the throttle in a refundable state, as opposed to cutting off both connectors.
Or just twist them together being careful they don't short....not convinced soldering paperclips is a reliable way to test due to wiggle...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi decided to fit and try mirror today I will need to remove it when i add thumb throttle plus new grips plus remove grip throttle. But god what a differenc it makes, brilliant view now behind no arm showing at all in mirror. glad its sorted it now. I can just fold back then I put it away in my shed so its not catching on the wall
We told ya! :cool:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
We told ya! :cool:
Yes you did and I took note, I have always wanted a end type mirror from day one, But as it had a throttle, I had the problem of removing end cap, which i thought had a nut inside, but it turned out to be a clip which was hard to remove, but with a bit of temper PMSL, it got sorted. thinking about it now I should have placed grip in a vice. and knocked out pin.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Well it seems I am going to have to do as jimriley post 105 said

Or, if you still want plugs, cut the appropriate end off the old throttle and solder and shrink that into the line.
as I recieved the 2nd thumb throttle today

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385505930775

But its orange female juliet, and like Nealth said its for Bafang controller, I should have checked here 1st.

IMG_7876.jpg

I am still waiting for this male to male lead to arrive but dont think it will be any good, as im sure thats higo

But not going to fit new thumb throttle until next week as got things to do, so its either use old grip throttle male end and solder up wires to it from thumb throttle, or just cut off controller and throttle ends and solder all wires up

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A julet isn't for aBafang as Bafang use Higo connectors. So if your controller isn't a Bafang controller which we have cyphered is a no name chinese one then the Julet throttle may work.
Tbh I dont't think we have seen a clear close up pic of your controller throttle connector and any branding on it.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
A julet isn't for aBafang as Bafang use Higo connectors. So if your controller isn't a Bafang controller which we have cyphered is a no name chinese one then the Julet throttle may work.
Tbh I dont't think we have seen a clear close up pic of your controller throttle connector and any branding on it.
Well I must have a Bafang controller, or maybe not, as I had already tried this 1st throttle which has a juliet connector and it didnt work as said E 08 error. and its a julet plus its orange but the female connector on my bike is yellow

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314541101193

so I ordered another thumb throttle below, which states Higo which I think is what my female lead to controller is as its yellow but unfortuantely It was also a female connector but should have been male hence why I ordered a male to male higo lead. but that controller says Higo but its not as stamped on side it says julet so will inform ebay seller

check pic below

But what I am going to do is use that male to male higo lead and just cut off 1 end and solder it to this thumb throttle, as then I will still have the original grip throttle just in case

I have now cut of end of 1st throttle and it has these 3 wires red, black, & white it seems, But will the wires on that male to male lead be same colour

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only two wires that matter are Black & Red , mate them to the corresponding wires on the controller side. The White is the signal wire the opposing third wire may be any colour they choose to use.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The only two wires that matter are Black & Red , mate them to the corresponding wires on the controller side. The White is the signal wire the opposing third wire may be any colour they choose to use.
so do you agree then that the 2nd thumb throttle is wrong as it says higo when it’s clearly Julet I’ve sent a message to seller on eBay to return it. As why say higo when it’s Julet

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most sellers don't know the difference between Higo an Julet connectors, all they likely know is they are a like and are compatible when fitted . Afaik know and from my usage both connectors are wired different so simply don't work when connected.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Most sellers don't know the difference between Higo an Julet connectors, all they likely know is they are a like and are compatible when fitted . Afaik know and from my usage both connectors are wired different so simply don't work when connected.

Well I got a reply back from the seller on ebay regarding this thumb throttle, and he says this below but he is wrong as I have also sent him images and it says Julet

he seller says this but he is wrong

Dear customers,
This product is female HIGO connector.
If you have any further questions, please continue to contact us.
Sincerely

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As I said all they know is they look the same and fit the male parts fine , thye have little knowledge otherwise.
You have cut the plug off the throttle , do the same for the controller and join the wires and test without shorting any. Once working slide a bit of shrink on , solder each wire in turn then cover with shrink.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
As I said all they know is they look the same and fit the male parts fine , thye have little knowledge otherwise.
You have cut the plug off the throttle , do the same for the controller and join the wires and test without shorting any. Once working slide a bit of shrink on , solder each wire in turn then cover with shrink.
Well it seems thats the only way then to sort it. ok thanks will solder up wires

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well it seems thats the only way then to sort it. ok thanks will solder up wires
You only need to twist them together to test. Just make sure that they don't touch during the test. No harm will be done, but either nothing will work while they're touching or you'll get instant max throttle. I normally lay a small piece of folded cardboard over the middle one.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
You only need to twist them together to test. Just make sure that they don't touch during the test. No harm will be done, but either nothing will work while they're touching or you'll get instant max throttle. I normally lay a small piece of folded cardboard over the middle one.
Yes I am very careful soldering wires up, I will just like you said twist wires up 1st, and just place a loose piece of thrink wrap over them until its all works then solder up and thrink wrap them. I am still waiting for that Male to Male higo lead. so at 1st I can try one of those ends to the throttle, failing that, I can then try soldering wires together.. But just wanted to try that lead 1st, but its just dam getting the time as loads of other jobs to do as well. so looks like next week. will keep you all updated when its done.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Well Ive made a right mess now as the throttle wire going to control box wire was far too short, so I decided to entend wire, by adding another piece, and i did test wires 1st and wheel went round ok but now it seems I have joined 2 wires wrong as now get again E 08 error, the trouble is the wires are so thin so when you do join them its too fat then with solder to push thrink wrap over them will have to now start all again so dam frustating

UPDATE
all been sorted out now I redone all the lead, and now throttle works, But like I said the wires are so thin. I will try and take some pictures of the control box. maybe its best to get a complete new long lead straight to control box. instead of being joined up. but atm its working so not going to bother no more. as lead just joins near front of bike to wires.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
This is my controller, not much help as it just says HOSH I cant seem to find much about it. but like you said its chinese

IMG_7945.jpeg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The controller is inside so you have to undo the screws to get to it, Hosh is just the makers name of the controller enclossure.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
The controller is inside so you have to undo the screws to get to it, Hosh is just the makers name of the controller enclossure.
Oh I see well I have just fastened it back up to bike but its ok wont take long to take it off bike and unscrew, will do after dinner