bike mirrors

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Hi all just wondering why every wing mirror I use on my bike I can never get to see whats behind properly, as for the left one its a waste of time, and my main right mirror all I can see is my arm. I have to place my arm on middle of handel bars to then see whats behind, I have adjusted it many times but no good

any suggestions whats best wing mirrors to buy. I cant have those handle bar ends mirror as I have a throttle on my bike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I use both Zefal Dooback II and a Zefal Cyclop end bar mirrors, and they do a good job of not showing me my arm... but because they're concave, objects are closer than they appear - this has led to frantic beeping from drivers when I'm changing lanes etc. Also makes those mad lycra guys overtaking harder to spot, during the day.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
any suggestions whats best wing mirrors to buy. I cant have those handle bar ends mirror as I have a throttle on my bike
Can you fit a thumb throttle? One of the hub magicians might be able to advise.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all just wondering why every wing mirror I use on my bike I can never get to see whats behind properly, as for the left one its a waste of time, and my main right mirror all I can see is my arm. I have to place my arm on middle of handel bars to then see whats behind, I have adjusted it many times but no good

Most of the Zefal ones are good. I prefer the Zefal Cyclops because of the way it folds when you want to park or get through a narrow gateway.

You can use bar-end mirrors with a throttle. You just need to cut a hole in the plastic that covers the end of the handlebar, or you can cut off the end of the throttle. All the workings of the throttle are at the other end, so you can cut off 2" if you want or convert it to a half-width throttle without compromising the function of the throttle.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Most of the Zefal ones are good. I prefer the Zefal Cyclops because of the way it folds when you want to park or get through a narrow gateway.

You can use bar-end mirrors with a throttle. You just need to cut a hole in the plastic that covers the end of the handlebar, or you can cut off the end of the throttle. All the workings of the throttle are at the other end, so you can cut off 2" if you want or convert it to a half-width throttle without compromising the function of the throttle.
Wont that mess up the throttle, by cutting into it. I will have to take a look how the throttle is at end

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Can you fit a thumb throttle? One of the hub magicians might be able to advise.

Yeah that would help, but I didnt want to mess with electrics, It would solve my problem then if i had a thumb throttle, I will see if i can remove throttle etc, and see about a thumb one

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I have a zefal dooback grip one on RHS, works OK but is easily knocked which isn't a bad thing, I find it more useful than not so it's still on bike.

See this thread:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
look at the 1/2 grip throttles too perhaps they also allow easy fitting of end of bar mirrors.

be mindful tho that end of bar mirrors can pop off with a slight graze so buy cheap and buy a few.. my nice expensive 'oxford' branded version lasted a day.. ali express specials (check the 1.99 deals) seem to last longer..

Reactions: Teejay

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Both our bikes have these:
Convex mirror gives a wide view field. They fold easily on friction hinges. Fits on left or right side.
My bike has a half throttle and the wifes has a full throttle. As Saneagle says, just cut the end out of the grip, this allows you access to the handlebar end that sits inside the rotating part of the throttlr grip. It will not affect your electrics at all.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yeah that would help, but I didnt want to mess with electrics, It would solve my problem then if i had a thumb throttle, I will see if i can remove throttle etc, and see about a thumb one
I remember you were nervous about your warranty when I suggested cutting through the end of the your twist handle throttle of your brand new Soodoo bike before, but if I recall correctly you bought your bike almost a year ago, warranty is nearly finished, and you may feel less nervous about doing this now?

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
yes thanks all I will check my throttle when i get the time as been so busy with family things but thanks all, and yes I will most probabaly cut part of throttle off at end, as mirrors i have on handel bars are as much help as a fly on a cows arse PMSL. thanks guys anyway for helping will let you know later how it all goes

:)

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
I have a mirror on the down tube which gives excellent visibility during the half cycle that the right leg raised. The mirror is carefully placed so that it is not hit by my thigh during mounting/dismounting or my knee when pedalling.
Just a quick glance down is enough to take in the state of the traffic behind.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I use Briskmore folding bar end mirrors on three of my bikes, the Roadrat, Ute and the gravel bike. No issue with veiws from any of them.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I have a mirror on the down tube which gives excellent visibility during the half cycle that the right leg raised. The mirror is carefully placed so that it is not hit by my thigh during mounting/dismounting or my knee when pedalling.

a picture would be nice to see that

Well I took a image of my right handle bar throttle and i see at ends the looks to be a allen type slot but i couldnt seem to fit a key in the end will try some more keys but the whole throttle is where i have arrowed on the left side grip and where the arrows point to on throttle side all that is included with throttle so maybe if i can remove the centre end bit i can hopefully fit end bar mirror

IMG_7731.jpgIMG_7732.jpg

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
a picture would be nice to see that
Might be this? Probably less wobbly than the insect antenna type, will miss the arm and might show more than your knee?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Might be this? Probably less wobbly than the insect antenna type, will miss the arm and might show more than your knee?

They show a nice view of behind when no one is on the bike.
Typical marketing rubbish , that most will over look.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They show a nice view of behind when no one is on the bike.
Certainly looks that way in the photo, but perhaps the mirror is very convex? In which case, again, objects will be closer than they appear, and the cyclist will be wise to take that into account before changing lanes etc. And those insane lycra dudes overtaking will be invisible.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Certainly looks that way in the photo, but perhaps the mirror is very convex? In which case, again, objects will be closer than they appear, and the cyclist will be wise to take that into account before changing lanes etc.
From the mirror position one will get a nice view of the upper thigh and lower torso, as you know typically on bikes mirrors need to be on stalks so any view isn't interferred by arm positioning or they have to be placed wider out of leg arm range to show a decent longer rear view. No use having a mirror positioned showing a vehicle that is almost on top of you.

Reactions: guerney