Bike not moving when putted on the ground

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why would the motor not work on the sturmey archer gear? I cant believe the functioning of the motor depends on the type of wheel you are using...?
the two freewheels freewheel in opposite directions and you need both freewheels.
You can't turn the SA 180 degrees horizontally.

Yves

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2020
the two freewheels freewheel in opposite directions and you need both freewheels.
You can't turn the SA 180 degrees horizontally.
Why cant the SA not be turned 180 degrees horizontally? What of i put the motor on the opposite side of where the original chain is , turn the wheel so it lines up with the motor and I change the positive and negative ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why cant the SA not be turned 180 degrees horizontally?
the freewheel on the SA hubgear locks/engages when you turn the cog clockwise. The thread on the SA's body is normal/righthand.
When the chain moves the cog clockwise, the wheel is forced to move forward. The freewheel will also automatically tighten itself onto the SA's body if you didn't tighten it before.
When the chain moves the cog anticlockwise, the cog freewheels, the wheel does not move.
If you turn the SA 180 degrees horizontally, when the cogs turns clockwise, the wheel moves backward, not forward.
If you connect the motor to the cog, it will turn the cog anticlockwise, the cog will freewheel which is not what you want.
This is what happens when you put the wheel onto the ground.
even if you lock the cog to the wheel (by jamming the pawls inside the freewheel for example), the freewheel would eventually unscrew itself.

Yves

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2020
the freewheel on the SA hubgear locks/engages when you turn the cog clockwise. The thread on the SA's body is normal/righthand.
When the chain moves the cog clockwise, the wheel is forced to move forward. The freewheel will also automatically tighten itself onto the SA's body if you didn't tighten it before.
When the chain moves the cog anticlockwise, the cog freewheels, the wheel does not move.
If you turn the SA 180 degrees horizontally, when the cogs turns clockwise, the wheel moves backward, not forward.
If you connect the motor to the cog, it will turn the cog anticlockwise, the cog will freewheel which is not what you want.
This is what happens when you put the wheel onto the ground.
even if you lock the cog to the wheel (by jamming the pawls inside the freewheel for example), the freewheel would eventually unscrew itself.
Ok thanks! I understand. So what about changing the positive and negative? In that case, I would be able to change the direction of the motor without changing both positions of the wheel and motor?

I already changed the positive and negative this morning as a test... I got an ignition/flare when i connected the batteries.( even tot some smile...) I usually do have a small one but this flare was quite large. Is this normal? Or has this something to do with the controller that is making it impossible to change p and n? I checked the wiring and everything was connected properly. In the attachment you can see the burned wire. I did not try to connect the wires again as I wanted your opinion first.

Attachments

Yves

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2020
Ok thanks! I understand. So what about changing the positive and negative? In that case, I would be able to change the direction of the motor without changing both positions of the wheel and motor?

I already changed the positive and negative this morning as a test... I got an ignition/flare when i connected the batteries.( even tot some smile...) I usually do have a small one but this flare was quite large. Is this normal? Or has this something to do with the controller that is making it impossible to change p and n? I checked the wiring and everything was connected properly. In the attachment you can see the burned wire. I did not try to connect the wires again as I wanted your opinion first.
* got some smoke instead of smile;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am sorry Yves, controllers can't have their battery connections reversed.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you had gone to a scrapyard and get a same wheel like the one on the video, you would have been on your way. That's your lowest cost option. A suitable wheel and replacing the controller you smoked.
The next low cost option if a front hub kit.
The normal conversion for a bike with hubgear is a middle motor but it will blow your budget twice over.

Yves

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2020
If you had gone to a scrapyard and get a same wheel like the one on the video, you would have been on your way. That's your lowest cost option. A suitable wheel and replacing the controller you smoked.
The next low cost option if a front hub kit.
The normal conversion for a bike with hubgear is a middle motor but it will blow your budget twice over.
Thx , i dont think i blew my controller , at least i hope so... (just ons spark near the batteries when touching the positive . No smoke or something coming from the controller ) yes i could take a look overthere but everything is closed right now due to the corona virus. ;) thX anyway, I hope i will still be able to get the project to work.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
there is usually a diode to protect the controller against reverse voltage, the kind of mistake you did.
do you still have the special freewheel that was supplied with your kit?

Yves

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2020
there is usually a diode to protect the controller against reverse voltage, the kind of mistake you did.
do you still have the special freewheel that was supplied with your kit?
Yes i will have

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you will need a wheel with a flipflop hub (or double sided hub) like this:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
flipflop hub:

Kwozzymodo

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2017
Lincolnshire
Won’t you still have the issue of the freewheel unscrewing itself if you are planning to keep the drive unit on the left-hand side of the bike?

The flip flop hub works when you take the wheel out of the frame and flip it around in the frame.

Yves

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2020
Hi,

No I would place the motor on the opposite side of the side where the chain was + keep the fixed thread on the same side as the motor. Normally then the bike should move forward i think?

Yves

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2020
Will the special freewheel work on every flip flop hub? Or are there different types and diameters? To save money I could also just buy the hub instead of an entire wheel, but I have never put a wheel back together starting from a hub and spokes...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
make sure first that the motor is still running.
next check the TPI on the special freewheel.
It should be left hand threaded.
Make sure you can turn the teeth clockwise on it and it freewheels when you do so.
Post a close up picture of the freewheel if you can.
It should look like this:

Yves

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2020
make sure first that the motor is still running.
next check the TPI on the special freewheel.
It should be left hand threaded.
Make sure you can turn the teeth clockwise on it and it freewheels when you do so.
Post a close up picture of the freewheel if you can.
It should look like this:
Hi,

The motor and controller are still working.;) Will check the freewheel this weekend. Will also show you the wheel and its specifications before I will buy it.