Bike or Cycle?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I had a message from the Bikeability Trust the other day encouraging me to use the term Cycle instead of Bike. The thinking goes along the lines of Bike referencing bicycle. The Bi bit of bicycle implying two wheels which in turn may make a user of a cycle with more than two wheels feel excluded. I imagine the author of the message is considering a cyclist with a disability.

I’ve never considered the term bike to mean anything other than a wheeled contraption propelled by a human being. Bike to me has always loosely meant a unicycle, two wheeled bike, tricycle and so on.

I can’t make my mind up if the message from the trust is necessary or if it’s the work of a crack-pot with too much time on their hands who’s wasting rations by occupying a job which is unnecessary.

Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I referred to my motorbike as my "Bike". But I don't anymore, because it's someone else's.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
I reckon it's more to do with snowflake gender issues, they are employing a bearded top knotted flibbertygibbet called Mary.

A bi cycle. who are we to define the gender of our wheeled transport, they can define themselves.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I reckon it's more to do with snowflake gender issues, they are employing a bearded top knotted flibbertygibbet called Mary.

A bi cycle. who are we to define the gender of our wheeled transport, they can define themselves.
Saw on the telly the secret code for that is carrying a pineapple in your shopping basket, leaves pointed upwards, or a badge or article of clothing displaying an upright pineapple. I've bought canned ever since.

• :D
Reactions: snafu and jimriley

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Anyone who has read The Third Policeman by Brian O'Nolan will understand the issues raised. He propounds that, over time, the molecules of the cycle interchange with the molecules of the rider, many of us are now half cycle or more. The issue arises when one sits on the saddle of a rider belonging to another gender.

Reactions: flecc

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Saw on the telly the secret code for that is carrying a pineapple in your shopping basket, leaves pointed upwards, or a badge or article of clothing displaying an upright pineapple. I've bought canned ever since.
Use of a pineapple could be painful!

Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, bike is unsuitable since it's used for so many vehicles, from pedal cycles to motorcycles. E-bike is unsuitable since it describes anything from a lightly assisted pedal cycle to a barely disguised high speed moped.

With the exception of The Countryside Act 1968, UK law for completeness always speaks of "bicycles, tricycles and bicycles with four or more wheels".

Strictly speaking the common bicycle is the Safety Bicycle, as opposed to the "Ordinary", which was the correct name for the "Penny Farthing" (slang), aka "High Wheeler" (the modern term).

Perhaps we had it right in the 1930s and 1940s, when we just called them all "Push Bikes", a more graphic description, especially because we used to dismount for hills and walk up them.

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I had a message from the Bikeability Trust the other day encouraging me to use the term Cycle instead of Bike.
I disapprove - that extra letter increases our carbon footprint in both digital and analogue communications, including by way of microcalories expended by vocalisation, because of the extra syllable.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Bicycle or pushbike is what I use , don't give a monkeys to what the woke/snowflake brigade want to call them.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Then shouldn't they have changed their name to Cycleability Trust first, before sending that out?
Crumbs. Good point!

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
As with most things language related here today its best not to get overly wound up about "correctness", provide you grasp what the person is on about. In the final analysis language is for many simply a tool to communicate with, rather than an art form.
Otherwise, we could go ballistic at now "think" replacing "thing", and "comp-ative" replacing "competitive"; even on such previous language bastions as the BBC.

We have a house full of "pushbikes" all with two wheels, plus one e-bike also with just two wheels, but are considering adding an "e-trike", that will have three wheels, for my wife as progressive mobility loss robs us of our lifelong passion to go "cycling" together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It all started from ESG scores, which sounded like a good thing when they were introduced, the same as the UK Supreme Court and hate speak laws, but then you realised they can be used as weapons for tyranny when they slowly and gradually adjust their use to push in the tyrannical direction.

As an example, today in London, a truck was stopped. It hadn't committed any offences, just a random stop, supposedly. Inside were illegal hate speech signs that said, "Not my King". Another very dangerous incident saved by the police.

Word is that the perps were members of an extreme hate group called "Republic", who advocate for complaints against the BBC, so they were all arrested. I've not heard of Republic before. Are they new?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
They should have used "Not Mike King". Bit more challenging for grammar nazi prosecuting lawyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes most towns , villages etc,etc, will all have a local bike probably at least more then one.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Bicycle or pushbike is what I use , don't give a monkeys to what the woke/snowflake brigade want to call them.
Ye gads, im agreeing with Nealh

I think I'd better have a lie down. :oops:

Reactions: Nealh and flecc