Bike park wales extra £7 for e-bikes.

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
I read a few other forums with people saying this just isn't true, that they do less damage, this is why I question such blanket statements as seen in the video above as they usually come from the people who dislike E-Bikes.
Its impossible for them to cause less damage since their weight alone is at least double that of a normal MTB

Its impossible for them to cause less damage since their weight alone is at least double that of a normal MTB
Not true, my eMTB is approx. 18Kg, A lower end dh bike would be very close to that. Factor in I'm sub 11 stone (except around Christmas!) and with a big guy on this dh bike there's little in it, perhaps him topping the scales over me...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Should we also consider fat bikes could cause additional erosion? Even 27.5+ set ups with low pressure tubeless set ups with a 19 stone guy? Where would one draw the line?
There's no doubt in my mind, that unless you're suckered by the hype, there's better places you ride anyway.
I think if somebody wants to check it out they'll pay £15 to take an e-bike, see they've been unnecessarily charged a premium and not return. Which in the long run may well be what BPW want?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Why does the evidence need to be documented? It was probably witnessed on the trails. Many threads about people complaining that the ebikes mess up the trails so its fair enough.
They leave no more damage than a regular bike, even when the ground is boggy.

Generally both types of bike do very little damage when riding a trail.

basicasic

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2017
Amsterdam
The weight of any bike is a fraction of the weight of the rider. So the weight of the rider is a much more important factor IF, as according to you, more weight = more damage.

So this park should weight the riders first as they enter and charge them according to weight if they want to be totally fair.

Of course it's all baloney. It's a good scam to rake in more money from people who they think can afford it. The only way these type of business people learn is by hitting them in the wallet. So don't go there. By not being fair to e-bikers they will lose out in the long run as e-bikes will become very common soon.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it is still 8 quid if you have a disability mode so just turn up pissed ;)

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and StewC

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
eBikes = more riding, so of course more damage.
I do not buy that argument, what type of person buys an E-Bike, a person who needs a little assistance with cycling, I have nerve damage in my legs and hands, that's why I use an E-Bike now, I think you will do more or equal damage if you are a fitter person roaring down the hills on a normal bike.

Point is, this is about profit, not about facts, if a trail is going to be damaged it's likely to be damaged by both types of bike so charge the same for both types of bike, we already have a divide between bikers, this just deepens the divide and is unhealthy and shouldn't be encouraged.

With increased contact patch, should riders with 4.6 wide fat tyres be charged at a premium rate? They are likely to be using twice the ground space of someone on regular 2.3 tyre throughout their ride, especially if running super low pressures
This is where it gets silly and a little pedantic, but it does kind of follow the explanation / justification, use of uplift service or not.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I do not buy that argument, what type of person buys an E-Bike, a person who needs a little assistance with cycling, I have nerve damage in my legs and hands, that's why I use an E-Bike now, I think you will do more or equal damage if you are a fitter person roaring down the hills on a normal bike.
You and many others here seem to be missing the point and BPW's argument. Its not that ebikes do more damage per run down the trails, its that there are more runs per session - therefore more total damage. And they are correct.
And I don't buy your argument that the type of person buying an ebike is a person who 'needs a little assistance' because of some ailment. Not for the people hurtling down the technical sections of places like bike park wales anyway.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
But what sort of damage are we talking about?
So a corner needs some more earth, one shovel, five shovels.
I think that they are overstating the case to exploit ebikers

• Agree
Reactions: Mal69 and LeighPing

Volusia25

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2017
leicester
You and many others here seem to be missing the point and BPW's argument. Its not that ebikes do more damage per run down the trails, its that there are more runs per session - therefore more total damage. And they are correct.
And I don't buy your argument that the type of person buying an ebike is a person who 'needs a little assistance' because of some ailment. Not for the people hurtling down the technical sections of places like bike park wales anyway.
This.
Come on its hardly expensive anyway, just another case of idiots moaning over nothing.