Bike recomendations

Nerrad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2014
Im new to all this so hi everyone!

The idea of an electric bike for commuting really appeals to me so a little advice would be much appreciated.

Firstly im in the UK, Im looking for a cheap bike which I can modify so I have a few questions.

Would a hybrid or mountain bike be the best option for the conversion?
Twist shift or trigger shift gears?
Vbrakes or disc brakes?
Frame type - Aluminum or steel?
Suspension front or rear or both?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a bike to be converted around the £100-£150 mark that has the features which I require?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
A lot of it depends on your requirements.

How fast
How far
How fit
How hilly
How heavy

I'm sure you'll get plenty of useful advice if you can confirm those details.....

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England

Nerrad

Aug 9, 2014
Sorry I should have mentioned im looking at a 500-800w 36v kit off ebay and im sure it comes with a twist grip so im thinking this would get in the way of twist grip gears?

im reasonably fit, 5'9 and 12 stone but have to tackle 2 hills on the way to work which is 4 miles away

Thanks Kinninvie great post, Ive just come across this bike, would it be any good for the conversion, it does have twist grip gear shifter, could I change this for trigger shift?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3324659.htm

or this http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/apollo-outrider-full-suspension-mountain-bike-20#tab2

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1436680.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

The last link says it has 27.5 inch wheels, what does that mean as I cant find a kit with that size wheel?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry I should have mentioned im looking at a 500-800w 36v kit off ebay and im sure it comes with a twist grip so im thinking this would get in the way of twist grip gears?

im reasonably fit, 5'9 and 12 stone but have to tackle 2 hills on the way to work which is 4 miles away

Thanks Kinninvie great post, Ive just come across this bike, would it be any good for the conversion, it does have twist grip gear shifter, could I change this for trigger shift?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3324659.htm
That bike looks like a very good candidate for conversion. Don't worry about the revoshift gear-changers. Get a kit with a thumb-throttle. The steel forks are a bonus. They'll mean that you can fit a front motor and rear rack battery if you want.

The 500w to 100w kits on Ebay are very battery hungry. The batteries that they provide are usually inadequate unless you don't want to go far. Big batteries are expensive and heavy. With your weight, you don't need a lot of power. 500w will be more than adequate. A nice 350w Bafang CST or BPM will give you good speed and climbing power.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have moved 5/6/7/8 speed twist shifters to the left side, and used full/half twist and thumb throttles, on the right.

The shifter will be fine, although it'll work t'other way around, and the numbers will be upside down. Takes about 30 secs to used to it.

If you have a front derailer you can either get rid, or cable tie it somewhere for emergency use.

Nerrad

Aug 9, 2014
Thanks for the advise, it makes sense to disable the front derailer as will be on battery on hills and I can handle pedaling on the flat.

im looking at getting the water bottle type battery does anywhere in the UK sell these, if not I presume there is no issues with ordering batteries from overseas is there?

here is another bike which ive come across please let me know if this or the others are good for conversion?
http://direct.asda.com/Boss-Vortex-Mens-Mountain-Bike---26-inch-Wheels/000975440,default,pd.html?dual=0

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I changed my Clarks cable pull brakes for hydraulic on my 1000 watt bike as they were hopeless.
The Clark Exo skeletal brakes were less than £40 a pair delivered.

C

Cyclezee

Imho - Hydraulic disc brakes would be advisable on a 500+ watt bike.
Along with padso_O
Had a couple of bikes in this week for servicing with brake problems, on the first the pads were worn through to the metal backings and the disc rotor badly worn, on the second the disc rotor was coated with a film of black grease:eek:, looked like the same goo that had been used to lube the chain, had to clean the disc with Isopropyl alcohol and fit new pads.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I changed my Clarks cable pull brakes for hydraulic on my 1000 watt bike as they were hopeless.
The Clark Exo skeletal brakes were less than £40 a pair delivered.
Pah! I'm running Clarks v-brakes on a 30mph 1200w build. When they're properly adjusted, they've got plenty of stopping power.

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
V-brakes are great.
The disc brakes just create heat and fade out in seconds.
I actually had more braking force putting my feet down than pulling the brake levers.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Another vote for good V brakes, although there must be limits.

I have found that good quality V brakes, properly adjusted, will stop my (not insignificant) mass very well, and need much less fettling than mechanical disks.

At 1000w though, I think I'd want hydraulic.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nerrad it could be 700c wheel size whic is about 27.5".

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
I hope you've written your will!
Haha! Since I no longer have to commute (working from home now), I don't find myself riding with wet rims very often; maybe just the odd standing puddle now and then. If I did, I'm sure I'd be more inclined to agree. I'll make the upgrade on my next build, but the original ghEttoBIKE is still going strong.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Haha! Since I no longer have to commute (working from home now), I don't find myself riding with wet rims very often; maybe just the odd standing puddle now and then. If I did, I'm sure I'd be more inclined to agree. I'll make the upgrade on my next build, but the original ghEttoBIKE is still going strong.
So they have plenty of stopping power unless it's wet?
Ergo they do not work in the wet.
So the advice is use disks.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
So they have plenty of stopping power unless it's wet?
Ergo they do not work in the wet.
So the advice is use disks.
....Or don't ride in the wet. Which I don't. Also, I only weigh a little over 9 stone.....

EDIT: In the context of the original post, an everyday commuter IS better off with disk brakes, so that is good advice.

Last edited: