Bike recomendations

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
No, that's what happens when you notice that it's all worn down, and then do nothing about it.
Fearing that my previous smart-arse comment could come back to haunt me later, I just checked my rims. How does one tell how much wear is too much?

EDIT: Scrap that question. I've done a quick bit of research and apparently I may already have cause for concern. I feel a new thread coming on...

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Fearing that my previous smart-arse comment could come back to haunt me later, I just checked my rims. How does one tell how much wear is too much?
Some rims have a wear groove on them.
If you can't see a groove then you either don't have a wear groove, or your rim is worn out!

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Some rims have a wear groove on them.
If you can't see a groove then you either don't have a wear groove, or your rim is worn out!
My rims never had any wear indicators, but as stated in the edit to my previous post, I may be closer to the limit than I'd assumed.

Nerrad

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks guys for your help, so ive decided to buy this bike I got it for £159 and for the price im sure its a good enough spec to convert, however the weight is around 18kg, how heavy is the 500w conversion kit including bottle type battery?
http://direct.asda.com/Boss-Reactor-Mens-Mountain-Bike---26-inch-Wheels/000975454,default,pd.html&cmpid=ppc-_-ad-pla-_-ggle-pla-_-Cycling-and-Bike-Gear-_-000975454&cm_mmc=ad-ppc-_-ggle-pla-_-Cycling-and-Bike-Gear-_-000975454&istCompanyId=71f4ae42-94c5-4821-aa58-05eff6da2486&istItemId=xqqqxlarw&istBid=tztx

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the hub kit + battery weighs about 7.5kgs to 8kgs.
You need to order brake sensors for hydraulic brakes if you buy a hub kit or go for an 18A BBS01 kit that does not need them.

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks guys for your help, so ive decided to buy this bike I got it for £159 and for the price im sure its a good enough spec to convert, however the weight is around 18kg, how heavy is the 500w conversion kit including bottle type battery?
http://direct.asda.com/Boss-Reactor-Mens-Mountain-Bike---26-inch-Wheels/000975454,default,pd.html&cmpid=ppc-_-ad-pla-_-ggle-pla-_-Cycling-and-Bike-Gear-_-000975454&cm_mmc=ad-ppc-_-ggle-pla-_-Cycling-and-Bike-Gear-_-000975454&istCompanyId=71f4ae42-94c5-4821-aa58-05eff6da2486&istItemId=xqqqxlarw&istBid=tztx
That looks like a very good bike for conversion. The only non-straightforward thing will be fitting a brake switch, but there's loads of solutions if you search.

Nerrad

Aug 9, 2014
Thanks guys for all your help, does anyone have a link to brake switches in the UK? I suppose now my dilemma is front or rear motor, any recommendations, for and against?

Nerrad

Aug 9, 2014
ok here goes! have I got this parts order correct for my conversion or am I missing something, I will deal with brake sensors later as ive opted for the kill switch on twist grip.

has anyone ordered from this company and had delivery to the UK avoiding customs? also do they ship batteries ok as I know some companies are funny about shipping batteries.
Untitled.jpg

this bike I got for £159
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet//cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boss-reactor-mens-mountain-bike-18?storeId=10001&tduid=2806f9c4429e875ab0de48ea373d3a26&_$ja=kw:2307884|tsid:35533&msg=&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-TradeDoubler-_-2307884-_-banner&catalogId=10151&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&seo=true#tab2

total cost £418 not bad for an electric bike, if ive got the parts correct

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
If that's BMSbattery then you will have to allow a lot for postage (£100 or so), and you will almost certainly have to pay import duties (£60 ish).

While you are about it, I would order a spoke key, and a freewheel. If you can, order a few spokes as spares.

I have never had a problem with them delivering batteries.

Edit: And you also want a speed sensor, and the switch on the throttle won't work as a kill switch without a relay/softswitch of some kind.

Nerrad

Aug 9, 2014
Thanks for the advise Mike, I am also in Devon.
Do you know of any suppliers in the UK that can supply these parts, I didn't realize the postage was £100 plus import duties on top?

D

Deleted member 4366

You have a master switch on the LCD, so you don't need the throttle switch. Use that for lights with one of those Banggood lights.

The bottle battery in your list is not really strong enough for the BPM. You'd be much better off with this kit that has an included 20A sine-wave controller:

http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/678-bottle-ebike-battery.html

You'll need to order a torque arm and their spoke key, plus you'll need to order a 11T free-wheel gearset from Cyclezee (£25).

C

Cyclezee

You have a master switch on the LCD, so you don't need the throttle switch. Use that for lights with one of those Banggood lights.

The bottle battery in your list is not really strong enough for the BPM. You'd be much better off with this kit that has an included 20A sine-wave controller:

You'll need to order a torque arm and their spoke key, plus you'll need to order a 11T free-wheel gearset from Cyclezee (£25).
DNP 7 speed 11to 32t freewheel £26 + £4 for delivery, Cyclezee torque plates /arms £12 per set including delivery if bought direct.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks for the advise Mike, I am also in Devon.
Do you know of any suppliers in the UK that can supply these parts, I didn't realize the postage was £100 plus import duties on top?
No one in the UK can compete on price as far as I'm aware.

I always reckon about £500-650 for parts (inc delivery/duty) on top of the bike.

I built a BPM 500 rear kit for a friend the other day. I used a 10ah battery, and s06 controller. Works fine, although not as much grunt as could be achieved with more current.

If you are not heavy, that'll be fine.

Where in Devon? Happy to let you have a go on my various bikes if you want get a feel for it....

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Woosh have rear 26" 350W BPM motor with 20A Lishui controller, LCD, thumb throttle, torque arm and 15AH bottle battery for £500. That's about as near to direct import as you're going to get. It's not CST though, you still need a DNP freewheel if you have more than 7-speed.
The front BPM kit of course does not interfere with the gears.

Nerrad

Aug 9, 2014
No one in the UK can compete on price as far as I'm aware.

I always reckon about £500-650 for parts (inc delivery/duty) on top of the bike.

I built a BPM 500 rear kit for a friend the other day. I used a 10ah battery, and s06 controller. Works fine, although not as much grunt as could be achieved with more current.

If you are not heavy, that'll be fine.

Where in Devon? Happy to let you have a go on my various bikes if you want get a feel for it....
Yes im starting to realize that now, Im probably going to go for this battery and get the rest of the kit from this country or are they going to charge the same postage just for the battery? [url]http://www.bmsbattery.com/36v/678-bottle-ebike-battery.html[/URL]

Im in Plymouth

Nerrad

Aug 9, 2014
Woosh have rear 26" 350W BPM motor with 20A Lishui controller, LCD, thumb throttle, torque arm and 15AH bottle battery for £500. That's about as near to direct import as you're going to get. It's not CST though, you still need a DNP freewheel if you have more than 7-speed.
The front BPM kit of course does not interfere with the gears.
I will take a look at their site, I may go for the front wheel hub as its less hassle

Nerrad

Aug 9, 2014

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh have more bpm kits now on there web site inc a rear 350w 700c (£500) kit which I may consider over the bbs01 18a. How ever they are not due until 10 Sept.