Bike shudders when I break!

Dai

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 6, 2014
Hi, I bought my bike (2nd hand but new condition) a couple of weeks ago. I've noticed that when I apply the front break the whole front of the bike shudders. That's not right is it? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

It might help if you tell us what bike it is, but I'd say you need to adjust your steering head bearings.

D

Deleted member 4366

Put the front brake on, then push and pull the bike. If you can feel a bit of clonking, the steering head bearings need adjusting. Less likely is worn forks or loose brake. You should be able to see where the free-play is.

Reactions: Dai

Dai

Apr 6, 2014
Are the steering head bearings easy to adjust?

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Put the front brake on, then push and pull the bike. If you can feel a bit of clonking, the steering head bearings need adjusting. Less likely is worn forks or loose brake. You should be able to see where the free-play is.
It's often just a case of re-adjusting the headset if it's an Aheadset type of stem.

This shows basics - http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-threadless-headset/

D

Deleted member 4366

Dead easy to adjust if you have the right tools. As you have a quill type stem, your steerer tube is threaded. There will be a threaded adjuster with threaded locking ring on top of it. Unscrew the locking ring a bit, then turn the adjuster ring nut down a bit until the free-play disappears. Check that the steering still turns freely with the wheel off the ground. if it doesn't, loosen the adjuster ring nut a bit.when the adjustment is correct (no play and free steering), screw down the locking ring to lock it on place. You'll probably have to slide up that cone shaped bit to find them hiding underneath.

You'll need something like a big adjustable spanner to turn the adjuster nut or locking ring. Sometimes they have notches for a C spanner, but you can tap that type round with a hammer and screwdriver.

Dai

Apr 6, 2014
Thanks for this. I'll have a look, but think it will probably end up with a trip to the local cycle shop. I'm not very practical at all!

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you check whether there was clunking when you pushed/pulled the bike with the brake on?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Mine started this on a ride last week, had trouble discerning any movement when stationary using the brakes, I think the front suspension hides it to a degree, so tightened the head set and all good now.

Dai

Apr 6, 2014
Did you check whether there was clunking when you pushed/pulled the bike with the brake on?
Yes, there was. I have a threaded headset adjustment system but typically I couldn't loosen the stem clamp bolt (Alan key) as it's really tight. Cycle shop here I come...

dingrpdl

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2012
Hong Kong

Dai

Apr 6, 2014
Ah right. I have a threadless stem. I've attached a photo

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The chrome cover is just a push fit, you can use a screwdriver or better still something flat without sharp edges top lever it up.
Underneath there is 2 large nuts, you need to loosen the upper one to then allow you to tighten the lower one, I adjusted until it felt snug and then made sure the bars turned smoothly and tightened a bit more, checked again and locked the upper nut onto the lower, check rotation again, pushed cover on and went for a ride.
It looks like your stem might stop the cover lifting, if so adjust your handle bar until you can see the allen screw that goes down the stem, loosen and lift the bars up to give enough room if needed, reverse to re fit.

D

Deleted member 4366

You need to pull up that shiny cone, the threads and nuts are underneath. That's not a threadless one.

Dai

Apr 6, 2014
Took it up the local cycle shop. They agreed it was the headset, so they adjusted it. I rode it home - it felt the same!! Maybe it's just the suspension I'm feeling?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Took it up the local cycle shop. They agreed it was the headset, so they adjusted it. I rode it home - it felt the same!! Maybe it's just the suspension I'm feeling?
It could be slack in the fork, but another source is the braking itself, since when braking is when it happens. Use a solvent to thoroughly clean the front rim and make sure the brake blocks are also clean with no oiliness or grit on them. If necessary, new brake blocks acting on a clean rim might solve the problem.

Reactions: jackhandy

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
There was some brake judder on the Raleigh Velo I had a brief go on.

Some forced bedding in of the brakes might help - a few firm stops from speed.

Try not to lock the wheels and fall off, apart from anything else that won't get the job done.