Bike suitable for child seat and able to tackle a hill?

F for Freddy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 11, 2016
I am looking for an ebike that will take a child seat and able to climb a hill (I don't mind pedalling too) for under 1000 is it possible?
TIA

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, definitely possible, and a step-through is probably best since you won't want to kick the little one in the head in swinging your leg over.

A powerful option for hill climbing is the Woosh Big Bear LS front hub motor bike, Link to view.

If you prefer a crank drive bike, perhaps a bit slower up hills but able to climb almost anything, the Woosh Santana CD, Link to view.

This further link will take you to the crossbar versions if you're insistent on that.

And there's also the very suitable and powerful eZee Sprint Primo in Step-through or Crossbar versions on this link.

Plus one from Juicybikes on this link.

And Kudos e-bikes offer some that also qualify on this link.

Last edited:
Reactions: KirstinS

F for Freddy

Feb 11, 2016
I prefer kick through so the first two suggestions seem great thanks.

Are there any folding options or is that taking it too far?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are there any folding options or is that taking it too far?
Most folders are with wheels 20" or smaller so not too suitable for a child seat. They are also usually short wheelbase and a child's weight overhanging on the rear when going uphill might prompt a big wheelie and tipping over backwards.

The few full size folders are crossbar frame, and that is often very high as well like these on this link, so not very suitable.

Reactions: KirstinS

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It looks good and possibly is, but I know nothing about it. The Italian motorcycle manufacturers have often dipped their toe in the water with an e-bike, and usually very stylish, but they never stay the course, usually discontinuing after a year or so. So that can mean spares problems. The battery worries me the most, it's not very big at 9 Ah and being a special fit, if they discontinue you'll be stumped for a replacement. Battery life these days can be anything from two years to four or more years for the best and most expensive ones. The specification isn't brilliant either, front rim brake and rear roller brake for example instead of the disc brakes most have now.

This might be quite good and last well, but it has risks and personally I'd go for a well established one with greater assurance of getting spares and batteries when needed.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Benelli Classica may work for you but it's difficult to recommend it because you were asking for a bike capable of tackling hills with a child in the rear seat. It means to us that you need a strong motor and strong assist. The Benelli Classica does not fit this profile, the motor is a typical 120mm diameter, suitable for light assist.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Did you get a chance to try some yesterday Freddy? If so, what did your try and what were your impressions, since it helps us to know what sort of bike you like so far, if any.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
If it helps, I already have a Juicy Classic step through and I love it. It's one of the links on Flecc's original post (the penultimate link in fact).
The bike is well built and I'm sure it would easily take a child. I live in a hilly part of Lancashire and so far it has climbed everything I've thrown at her.
Bob Wales, who is on this forum and owns Juicy bikes is really helpful and would advise as to how the child seat would work.
Juicy Lucy.jpg
PS: Any excuse to show her off!:D

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You need to consider the bike layout carefully when it comes to kid seats. I've been there and done this.

Most cheap rear mounted kid seats actually attach to the seat tube. So if you want a bike with seat tube batt you can rule these out.

The other (less common) rear seat is either attached too, or includes, a rear rack. These have no suspension, so can be uncomfortable for the little one.

From about 3 y.o. my boy much preferred travelling between me and the handle bars, on a front facing seat. In our case, a DIY modded seat tube carrier. There are other (commercial) options for this front facing layout, and for us this was the best as the child is part of the cycling experience, not just 'luggage' at the back.

Nixtoo

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2016
How about a trailer. We had a croozer for 1, they're a lot safer in an accident than seats as thay have a full harness impact bars and a roll cage. Plus keep the weather out, there were times we were soaked and a small (dry) boy was laughing at us. Cars always gave us a really wide berth too.

Reactions: F for Freddy

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
I have a collection of good equipment in excellent condition for carrying children (front mounted Bobike Mini and OKBaby seats + Chariot Cougar Double trailer), mainly used with a 26v Panasonic Kalkhoff Agattu. All maintained in very good condition.
The same type of seats were described in this thread, together with my son and daughter in law's Kalkhoff Tasman.
If you are within reach of Peterborough, send me a PM to have a try out.

F for Freddy

Feb 11, 2016
You need to consider the bike layout carefully when it comes to kid seats. I've been there and done this.

Most cheap rear mounted kid seats actually attach to the seat tube. So if you want a bike with seat tube batt you can rule these out.

The other (less common) rear seat is either attached too, or includes, a rear rack. These have no suspension, so can be uncomfortable for the little one.

From about 3 y.o. my boy much preferred travelling between me and the handle bars, on a front facing seat. In our case, a DIY modded seat tube carrier. There are other (commercial) options for this front facing layout, and for us this was the best as the child is part of the cycling experience, not just 'luggage' at the back.
Thanks for the advise. Front seats make much more sense to me as you can talk with the child. I just thought they are not an option for electric bikes. Are you using yours on an ebike?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
You can buy off peg front seats. One is Dutch and one called kangaroo

From memory.....I'll check later, this is a rapid post ! I've used a kangaroo

Good points and bad tbh.

Both are really only good for smaller younger kid's

After a while , with 2 kids, I went for a kiddie chariot with an automatic walkie talkie system and two rear view mirrors

Having 2 more kids in April ! [emoji15]

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Thanks for the advise. Front seats make much more sense to me as you can talk with the child. I just thought they are not an option for electric bikes. Are you using yours on an ebike?
We started off with a rear seat. If you look closely, most consist of a plastic bucket seat supported by a 'U' shaped steel support, and connected to the bike by a quick release mechanism. The open end of the 'U' connects to the quick release thing, which itself is clamped to the seat tube of the bike.

When little Al was bored with being treated like luggage on the back, I took the plastic seat off, turned the steel support around so it faced forward and put a long thin cushion on it.

I then clamped a bit of steel to the down tube for a footrest, and covered it with a couple of handlebar grips.

The result was better than I had hoped. Master Quay loved riding about with his slightly eccentric father. We probably covered 500 miles like that over a couple of years, just for the fun of it.

The important thing (as you have already worked out) is that you can communicate with the child. Also, they can see what's going on up ahead, wave at the passers by, ring the bell, point at stuff and generally enjoy the entire experience.

Mini me is a bit too big now, and is nearly grown out of his third bike. In deference to his manual ride I now accompany him on an analogue machine.

Back when he was a small, but completely passive weight, it was ebike all the way.

If you do it right cycling with a child is a great pleasure.