Bike to work e-bike

hannah.bartholom

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2015
Hi there, I am considering getting an e-bike on the bike to work scheme, and would welcome some advice. The main use for the bike would be a very hilly 17 mile (each way) commute about 3 times a week (with the option of doing part of the journey by train some days). I have hired a Juicy bike for a few days to check out the viability of this, and see if I like this make of bike and having done two days worth of commuting, I have a few observations / questions.
First of all, I have really enjoyed being back on a bike, so want it to work (used to cycle everywhere when I lived in London, but I was younger and fitter then) but the journey time is at the upper limit of what is viable... Today it took me about one and a quarter hours each way.
The bike did what I hoped on the hills, apart from when I attempted a ridiculously steep hill, was unable to keep pedaling so ground to a halt and then had to struggle up said hill pushing a 3 ton bike... I took a different route today. However I found it frustratingly low geared on flat sections. There didn't seem to much in between pedaling steadily and getting help going up and coasting down the other side, and I would have liked a few higher gears so that I could pedal faster and harder on flat sections. Does anyone know if this is a feature of all electric bikes, or a particular issue with juicy bikes?
More generally, does anyone have any thoughts on what bike might be a good buy? I think what I really want is something that feels like a road bike to ride, but which lets me maintain a constant speed on the hills so that I can get to work quickly, and not get too exhausted in the process. I appreciate that I am very much at the cheaper end of the market, but would love to know what thoughts /recommendations people have.... Or is what I want going to cost more and anything at around the £1000 mark going to feel like a compromise?
Thank you for taking the time to read this - I look forward to hearing people's thoughts.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Welcome to the club!

You managed a very good average for such a heavy bike! What would be better suited would be a ladies (low bar) 28" hybrid/trekking or sports bike with a mid motor, such as the one I am going to build for myself. You could expect to do your commute in an hour I think.

My colleagues will know if there is such a thing on the market for £1000.

Reactions: hannah.bartholom

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Get a brand spanking new bargain Mercedes Smart eBike, see my posts but be quick only a few left at bargain prices, down from £2,500 to around £1,100 with top of the range kit and extra power (250W) when bought in Europe i.e. Germany or Belgium. Iron out the hills and arrive as if you had just got on it :)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Hannah
Good to see you back on two wheels.
For those who want higher gearing on either the Classic or Sport range of bikes we do offer a larger front chain wheel, which helps provide some extra work for the rider to do when on the flat. It's not listed as an option at the website but as our bikes are used by such a wide variety of folk, it's on offer at our workshop and special order at our Retailers.
You've done exactly the right thing, hiring and trying before you consider buying, especially on a relatively long commute.
For that 17 miles, 3 times a week, I'd suggest (if you cannot charge at work) you upgrade to our 12AH battery. That, on one of our LITE range of bikes will see you under £1000.

Reactions: hannah.bartholom

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
i use my Woosh Krieger every day for commuting with one big ass hill and it copes easily and along with its huge 15ah battery i only charge it once a week so take a gander at their website and see if anything takes your fancy

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The Kudos Sonata and Rapide were specifically designed for the sort of commute you are intending. These bikes with 30 Shimano gears and hydraulic brakes in a light frame are as close to a non powered bike as possible but the BPM motor is recognised as the best legal hill climber.
All the spec of the bike was quality rather than price led.
We have many customers who use these bikes for a 20 mile daily commute,in all weathers.
KudosDave

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
Get a brand spanking new bargain Mercedes Smart eBike, see my posts but be quick only a few left at bargain prices, down from £2,500 to around £1,100 with top of the range kit and extra power (250W) when bought in Europe i.e. Germany or Belgium. Iron out the hills and arrive as if you had just got on it :)
Why the massive price drop??

Also. What's "extra power" about 250watts?

Reactions: JohnCade

hannah.bartholom

Oct 17, 2015
Hi Hannah
Good to see you back on two wheels.
For those who want higher gearing on either the Classic or Sport range of bikes we do offer a larger front chain wheel, which helps provide some extra work for the rider to do when on the flat. It's not listed as an option at the website but as our bikes are used by such a wide variety of folk, it's on offer at our workshop and special order at our Retailers.
You've done exactly the right thing, hiring and trying before you consider buying, especially on a relatively long commute.
For that 17 miles, 3 times a week, I'd suggest (if you cannot charge at work) you upgrade to our 12AH battery. That, on one of our LITE range of bikes will see you under £1000.
Thanks for this.... Something to think about. One more question though. Today I returned the bike, so had a 23 hilly ride from work to the hire place (Google maps says up 1962ft). The battery was fully charged when I left work, but I soon became aware that the bike felt different - more drag, so needing to pedal harder to keep going, even on slight down hills. As a result, I presume, of this the battery faded a mile or two short of my destination and it was then seriously hard work to keep the bike moving - even on the flat, first gear was hard work. There was no obvious source of friction, and even when I turned the battery off completely it was the same. Any ideas what might have been going on?

hannah.bartholom

Oct 17, 2015
The Kudos Sonata and Rapide were specifically designed for the sort of commute you are intending. These bikes with 30 Shimano gears and hydraulic brakes in a light frame are as close to a non powered bike as possible but the BPM motor is recognised as the best legal hill climber.
All the spec of the bike was quality rather than price led.
We have many customers who use these bikes for a 20 mile daily commute,in all weathers.
KudosDave
Thanks -they look intersting. Using bike to work I would be capped at £1000 -would I come in under this figure if I bought the battery separately?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

I reckon they have new 2016 model coming out and can't shift old over priced stock. Agree nothing extra power about it at all unless they blundered and made some weedy 200w models for the UK market, in which case they did blunder as we are in the euro club as well and 250w could never be classed as illegal here.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks for this.... Something to think about. One more question though. Today I returned the bike, so had a 23 hilly ride from work to the hire place (Google maps says up 1962ft). The battery was fully charged when I left work, but I soon became aware that the bike felt different - more drag, so needing to pedal harder to keep going, even on slight down hills. As a result, I presume, of this the battery faded a mile or two short of my destination and it was then seriously hard work to keep the bike moving - even on the flat, first gear was hard work. There was no obvious source of friction, and even when I turned the battery off completely it was the same. Any ideas what might have been going on?
Odd that Hannah...
Our bikes should be easy to pedal unpowered with no resistance from the motor.
Can you tell me where you hired the bike please.

hannah.bartholom

Oct 17, 2015
Odd that Hannah...
Our bikes should be easy to pedal unpowered with no resistance from the motor.
Can you tell me where you hired the bike please.
Parsley Hay. I understand that a hire bike might not be representative of your bikes, but would quite like to know what was going on with it today. I had no problem pedaling unassisted earlier in the week.

david.allsup

Just Joined
Apr 3, 2015
I'm a Powabyke X24 user/commuter with an 800m climb back home but only 7 miles EW - probably fits the budget and most of the features you're looking for. Been using it for over 4 years now - like everything there are pros and cons. I do use it for journey's double the distance and there are ways of squeezing more juice out of the battery.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Parsley Hay. I understand that a hire bike might not be representative of your bikes, but would quite like to know what was going on with it today. I had no problem pedaling unassisted earlier in the week.
Thanks Hannah - we'd better arrange a service and some TLC for those bikes which have been in use every day for a couple of years at one of the busiest hire centres in the country.
I appreciate your feedback.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Trying to do 17 very hilly miles each way at speed is going to use a lot of battery capacity.

Anything with 10 or 11ah will need to be charged both ends of the journey.

You should get a round trip out of 15ah or more.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Trying to do 17 very hilly miles each way at speed is going to use a lot of battery capacity.
Or substantial pedal effort. I can just do it on my 10.4 Amp battery but fear of running out when you are really tired is no fun...

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015

There was a sale on at some of the German dealers, NOT here in the UK though, the UK supplied bikes are all 200 watts but for some reason the rest of Europe gets 250 watts and the US 350 watts, so I got a 250 watt German one shipped over.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I reckon they have new 2016 model coming out and can't shift old over priced stock. Agree nothing extra power about it at all unless they blundered and made some weedy 200w models for the UK market, in which case they did blunder as we are in the euro club as well and 250w could never be classed as illegal here.
I just think it is cr@p marketing, when I went into a UK Smart showroom the bike was hidden in a corner, it seems as if Mercedes Smart dealers don't want to be dealing with bikes, and yes the UK is the only country that was getting 200watt bikes as mentioned in my last post. For the current sale price in Germany and in Belgium from what I now see of £1,060 (plus TNT Express 3 day shipping of £150 that I found was the best price as it has to come by road not air due to the battery) you are getting one hell of a bike including a great battery with 63 miles range and carbon belt drive for your money. I have seen some of the junk around and although the Smart ebike may not be to everyones taste as it is very 'smart', trendy and futuristic looking, plus it has a global 2yr warranty, it suits me, so much so I am looking at getting another for my wife :)

I don't see any sign of a 2016 bike coming out, I just think they failed in marketing it so it will be a one off. It is superbly built and fantastic value, plus being less common over here if it gets nicked, so should be easier to find.

GT3

Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2009
Couple of thoughts;

The £1,000 'limit' on cycle to work is the exemption from the Consume Credit Act granted by the OFT. Unless your employer's scheme uses this artificial limit, there's nothing to stop you spending more, but only £1,000 can be 'financed'.

I agree with Rob F. Although my 11 ah would do the 32 mile round trip when new, its capacity deteriorated. It's now 27 months old and not far off half original capacity.

Allways build in a big safety factor on range, one women's 'hilly' can be another's Everest. Then there are headwinds.....