bike without single point of failure

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield

A post by another member made me think (it happens every now and then) and to ask ...
Any engineer out there like to estimate what a bike without a single point of failure would look like?
How much would it weight?
ALL bikes have multiple points of failure. A failure to me is something that can’t be repaired on site. I’ve never had this but have seen non repairable things like a broken frame (especially carbon), a collapsed wheel and broken forks. Also, a broken seat post makes a bike unrideable for any distance along with a ceased motor. Anything else can be repaired in about 15 minutes Including chains, punctures and damaged or broken rear mechs. What kind of motor it is or where it is positioned is the least of out problems.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
ALL bikes have multiple points of failure. A failure to me is something that can’t be repaired on site. I’ve never had this but have seen non repairable things like a broken frame (especially carbon), a collapsed wheel and broken forks. Also, a broken seat post makes a bike unrideable for any distance along with a ceased motor. Anything else can be repaired in about 15 minutes Including chains, punctures and damaged or broken rear mechs. What kind of motor it is or where it is positioned is the least of out problems.
Absolutely. I started this thread partly to count the large number of posts (very small number of posters) we were getting about single points of failure on crank motors (as if chain was the one and only single point of failure on bikes).

I think the best solution came early in the thread.
This one should be ok!