Bike workstands for pedelecs

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I have 2 of the Lidl type (LIDL)

The second one was bought for a friend, he didn't use it and has given it back, so it is available for the Lidl price plus delivery.
It's very tempting at that price ! Just to check though, the Agattu is a step-through has no horizontal bar to clamp. Therefore your options are basically seat post or main frame.

The seat post diameter is 35mm and the main frame is extremely chunky (55.7mm measured diameter if my maths is right - circumference / Pi). Is this going to handle clamping tubes of those diameters and be up to holding them firm ?

Buy cheap buy twice!

I have now updated my cheap stand to a Park Tool PCS-10 one earlier this year. There is a cheaper PCS-9 Home Mechanic Repair Stand but this is much better. Wish I had purchased one of these first time round.

Park Tool Home Mechanic PCS10 Repair Stand | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

This thing is built like a tank, stands rock solid, the jaws are excellent and I can rotate my Brompton 360 degrees upside down if needed :p

PS just click the reviews and read.

Regards

Jerry
This is the one I'm most tempted by as a "definitely sturdy enough" option. However, same questions apply about gripping tubes of the diameters above. Will it manage ?

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've been wondering about a decent bike stand for when I need to do maintainance, but X-Tools & Park Tool stands have clamps that are far too small for this bike of mine:

The main tube is huge as it's where the battery goes (when I can get one in the right dimensions) and the sheer weight of the thing meant balancing it on household furniture during maintanance, which isn't ideal as it's prone to falling off.

Are there any out there which fit the bill?

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
eHomer

Tell us more about the "Bernardi Buzz" it looks interesting.

It's my long-range "pedepet" :)

It'll be defunct as soon as someone invents a 150 mile range battery bike that can do 25mph !

It has an Italian designed 35cc two stroke engine with a friction roller drive to the rear wheel. The bike itself is a Dawes Mojave 700c hybrid, with a Shimano Nexus 7 speed hub gear. A "moped" that genuinely can be pedalled easily if the engine conks out.

The big downside is that in the UK it requires Road Tax (£16), an annual MOT (£30) and insurance (£90 at the moment, but if I can re-register and get rid of the damn "Q" plate, that should drop quite a bit.

The upside is that it has a range of about 150 miles on it's 3 litre fuel tank.

buzz_on_vw.jpg

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
This is the one I'm most tempted by as a "definitely sturdy enough" option. However, same questions apply about gripping tubes of the diameters above. Will it manage ?
The Park PCS10 cope with 24mm to 76mm tubes so should not be a issue.

Dont know about the Lidl one

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
The Park PCS10 cope with 24mm to 76mm tubes so should not be a issue.

Dont know about the Lidl one
Thanks a lot GaRRy.

John, any more on the Lidl one viz accommodating the tubes ?

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I have never used a workshop stand, and rarely felt the need of one. However, if I did, I would be strongly tempted to make my own. This is the best bet if you have more time than money. Use any material that is to hand, or readily obtainable , including recycled stuff. Remember weight is not an issue, so it does not matter if it is heavy. You could use timber, either 2 x 4 inch or 2 x 2 inch. It can be as simple or as complex as you wish.
IMO, a stand needs to be firm, so that it does not flap about in use. You could screw it to a garage wall, or even an outside wall if necessary . You could make your own clamps with timber and threaded rod, and pad them with carpet etc. It is probably the only way that you will get exactly what you need at a price that is realistic. Something to think about.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I've been wondering about a decent bike stand for when I need to do maintainance, but X-Tools & Park Tool stands have clamps that are far too small for this bike of mine:

The main tube is huge as it's where the battery goes (when I can get one in the right dimensions) and the sheer weight of the thing meant balancing it on household furniture during maintanance, which isn't ideal as it's prone to falling off.

Are there any out there which fit the bill?
Spotted this on Halfords website ... if the bike isn't too heavy looks like it might be sufficiently adjustable to cope. You get 20% off if you buy on-line and collect in-store and they're usually pretty good about letting you open up and check it's compatible with your bike (if not it gets refunded in the shop - just take your bike along and talk to them nicely ...)

Halfords | Topeak Prepstand Elite

Last edited:

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
That Topeak Prepstand Elite is close to what I paid for the UM30! :) But it won't hold the bike, I just measured the main tube and it's 52mm wide x 72mm high box shape, I don't think most of the clamps designed to hold round tubes will work with this one.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Weakened and bought a Park Tool PCS-10 off Amazon. Used / like new for £80 which I think is a bit of a bargain (though a lot more than I'd wanted to pay to be fair, but just don't have the time to make one at the moment and the garage is full to overflowing so working in there is out of the question right now ! )

The 2nd hand one I was watching on e-bay is still live for about an hour and a half more (and about the same price at the moment) ...

Park Tool PCS10 - Home Mechanic Repair Stand | eBay

That Topeak Prepstand Elite is close to what I paid for the UM30! :) But it won't hold the bike, I just measured the main tube and it's 52mm wide x 72mm high box shape, I don't think most of the clamps designed to hold round tubes will work with this one.
Expensive business owning that bike .... if you want a workstand ! Probably best make one of your own as per some of the suggestions above.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Weakened and bought a Park Tool PCS-10 off Amazon. Used / like new for £80 which I think is a bit of a bargain

Now there's a coincidence.... I had just bought the other used one that Amazon were selling, for £89 inc postage.

The discussion on here had rekindled my interest, and even though my previously mentioned cheapo stand has never actually collapsed, the creaking was quite alarming with my heavier bikes on it.

Park claim on their website that the PCS-9 and PCS-10 have a maximum capacity of 45 kg, so it should be able to hold anything that I have the strength to lift up onto it... :rolleyes:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Now there's a coincidence.... I had just bought the other used one that Amazon were selling, for £89 inc postage.
Good move ... the 2-year old used one on e-bay went for £97.06 ! :eek: so my £83.50 delivered is looking like a bargain by comparison ... at least it looks like there's a decent resale market so they will hopefully hold their value pretty well.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Good move ... the 2-year old used one on e-bay went for £97.06 ! :eek: so my £83.50 delivered is looking like a bargain by comparison ... at least it looks like there's a decent resale market so they will hopefully hold their value pretty well.

Yes indeed Alex.

The PCS-10 has now arrived from Amazon and I have to say I'm very pleased with it.

In my first post on this thread I said that I had a cheaper version that had given me good service (the type in the photo attached). This Park model is far superior in build quality and materials, but is significantly heavier and more bulky. That's fine though, the Park is more solid and secure at home, especially with very heavy bikes.

I'll keep the cheaper one in case I ever need to take it to a friend's, or use it on the road, as it is a bit more portable and slightly quicker to set up.

Should I start a new thread "how many workstands do you have" :rolleyes:

original bike stand.JPG

vhfman

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2008
I use this cheap Trivio Bike Stand, I got this from Ribble cycles, I find it’s easy to use and store. It only lifts the back wheel of the deck a few inches but is great for chain / gear maintenance, break adjustments and hub testing; and it’s not troubled by having to support the weight of the whole bike. You have to bend down to work on things, so not a comfortable as a good quality Workstand where the bike can be mounted much higher off the ground, but for £10 it works great.

Chris

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
I use my X-frame: Sort of grown-up workmate: Overkill? Definitely - But it stays put & it was cluttering up my storage space, doing nothing productive....

IMG_2012112159657.jpg

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Yes indeed Alex.

The PCS-10 has now arrived from Amazon and I have to say I'm very pleased with it.
Good news - mine was only dispatched today :)mad:) but have a Fedex tracking on it so hopefully by the end of the week before I go away !

I use this cheap Trivio Bike Stand, I got this from Ribble cycles, I find it’s easy to use and store. It only lifts the back wheel of the deck a few inches but is great for chain / gear maintenance, break adjustments and hub testing; and it’s not troubled by having to support the weight of the whole bike.
That looks great - just the job for the everyday basics. Was hoping to find a cheap 2nd solution to stash in Devon as I can't afford to buy 2 stands or carry one backwards and forwards. If a basic maintenance kit is down there I'm getting happier about starting to look at doing something with the regular bike sitting idly in the garage groaning at the thought of all those hills !