Bikee Bike - new mid drive conversion quietly launched

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
For a significant addition to very limited choice of mid drive conversions, theres precious little on the web about this new italian motor. In fact only the manufactureres site (which is pretty short on details). Anyone seen any reviews of this motor?
Good to see a new kid on the block - let's hope there are some honest reviews coming along.

They boast to be the best mid drive - best in what I wonder: weight, price, reliability, performance, availability of spares? - they've a lot to do to move the large fan based away from Bafang and TSDZ2.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The bikee kit has been rumbling along on ES for a couple of years.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Good to see a new kid on the block - let's hope there are some honest reviews coming along.

They boast to be the best mid drive - best in what I wonder: weight, price, reliability, performance, availability of spares? - they've a lot to do to move the large fan based away from Bafang and TSDZ2.
View attachment 50320
“BEST” is the name of the motor/system

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
They do make the "User manual" a free down load LINK [I routed here via the 250Watt version] that includes some more information and photos, where we glean a bit more understanding.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Found this interesting thread, with responses from the CEO of Bikee Bike:

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Biggest issue is the thickness of the motor sitting on the crank, outboard of the chainring. Could be awkward to be so asymmetric and so wide.

Weight is a bit high, at 8 or 9 kg, and battery choices seem limited to one option for each motor power. They'll probably change that daftness as 6.6Ah on the 250W version with so heavy a kit is unlikely to sell well.

Also phone as display is not for me. Don't want my vital phone so exposed to risk.

But an interesting take on mid drive. Essentially a direct drive motor on the crank, with 2 chainrings for easy implementation of wide gearing range, which allows use of cheap 7 or 8 speed components.

Let down by physical size and weight, especially the 250W version which looks like it shares the casing with the 1500W. And no torque sensor, so not competing with TSDZ2.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Also phone as display is not for me. Don't want my vital phone so exposed to risk.
I hate devices which require apps... They usually require all permissions including access to all of your contacts, GPS etc. If you use a cheapo second phone running an older OS, the app could cease to function if the app store's development policy changes, and if development of the app doesn't keep up with new OS versions, it could stop working. There appears to be a push button control alternative (mentioned on the ES thread), I doubt it would provide access to all of the functions.

But an interesting take on mid drive. Essentially a direct drive motor on the crank, with 2 chainrings for easy implementation of wide gearing range, which allows use of cheap 7 or 8 speed components.
Could in theory be as reliable as a hub drive? I'd like to see a motor teardown, can't find one.

Too heavy, wide and noisy, needs an app... I won't be investing, I'm out. Besides, I worry that a 120nm mid-motor might snap my folding bike somewhere.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Thats a worry, an eBike app that wants access to the deatails of my GP.
It needs to ask what voltage to defibrillate you with, when it's "Heart sensor" detects a flatline? It should wait till you've fallen off, then shoot taser darts into your chest, rather than deliver shocks through the ankles IMHO. Great strides in the development of chest and facial recognition systems are required, lest it happen in a crowd.

Last edited:

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Unless my memory has gone, they've been around for at least 5 years, asking for crowd funding, etc. I hope they all had day jobs while they were working on this project.

Runs off my phone? Sorry,

Weldinpatt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 23, 2018
I remember an issue with off centre pedals because the motor on the outside of the frame. It’s been out a while now and constitutes a flop.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
My Giant has to use an app so phone can work as display.
Does mean %age power settings can be user defined (upto max 350%) over the 4 settings but it's a complete PITA.
Last week arrived at Peaks to use bike. Started Ride App. "you must download upgrade for app to work".
No chance on mobile signal..(even if I had one)
No display for the day.
I don't think GT are in business of stealing my details but it saves them £10 or so by them not fitting a display. I think it's cheap. Next bike will have its own display.
Fecking Apps.

Reactions: harrys and sjpt