Bionx Bikes Seen in Quebec

johnl

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
In June, after doing a bike tour North of Lake Superior in Minnesota, my wife and I drove through Ontario to Quebec. We rode our tandem several times on some of the Route Verte bicycle route. On the day that we rode 20 miles out from Levis, a town across the river from Quebec City, to Saint Michel de Bellechasse and back, we saw four bikes with Bionx kits. We've never seen another one on the road where we live in Colorado, except at the dealer's shop. I guess this shouldn't surprise me since Bionx is located in Quebec.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it is one the Canadians are proud of, though it originated from design work by Chrysler Corporation years ago at a time when the there was an earlier attempt to reduce oil dependence. GM were also engaged in e-bike research then, and Edwin Currie's Electrodrive motor started from that work. So we do have the motor industry to thank for some very helpful early work.

There's a big difference between those two though, the Electrodrive is a bit on the crude side but cheap, while the BionX is a very sophisticated system but expensive.