Bionx Conversion Kits

Elcycoltd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2009
Lothian

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, they aren't cheap, but they are worth every penny, long established, very reliable, very quiet, powerful and with a sophisticated control system.

In many ways the best kit of all and in a wide range to suit all power needs. In all the years they've been around I've yet to hear of a single unhappy BionX owner.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
Can you get the higher power ones and one for a 20" wheel? Is it possible to have an off-road faster one?

Elcycoltd

Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
There are four kits available, all coming fitted into a rim with wheel sizes 24", 26" and 700mm.
As detailed in the Spec, all are 250W motors but have four power modes and the same for regeneration.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I`ve only read good things about the kits but in all honesty I would probably only go for the top of the range and nearly £1700 + you need to fit a freewheel is a lot of money IMHO. but then I suppose it comes from the USA? and just like the UK people want to earn decent wages so products cost far above what they do from the east. At nearly three times the cost of an Alien kit to be honest it should be good.

I`d be the first to admit that there are a few points on the Alien kits that need a little polish but with a little bit of time spent in the workshop you do land up with a fully useable decent kit with decent back up(which is not to take anything away from Bionx) but you can buy a good E bike for that sort of money.

When I win the lottery maybe:D

C

Cyclezee

I`ve only read good things about the kits but in all honesty I would probably only go for the top of the range and nearly £1700 + you need to fit a freewheel is a lot of money IMHO. but then I suppose it comes from the USA? and just like the UK people want to earn decent wages so products cost far above what they do from the east. At nearly three times the cost of an Alien kit to be honest it should be good.
When I win the lottery maybe:D
They are from Canada Old Timer, not the US;) and don't need to win the lottery to buy this baby http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/classifieds/6564-bionx-pl350-carrera-vulcan.html :eek:

J:) hn

Elcycoltd

Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
I have no experience of Alien bikes or conversions but have ridden a number of e-bikes from various manufacturers.
Having ridden the Trek bikes which have the Bionx equipment fitted I can honestly say they are the quietest motors on any bike I know, you only hear tyre noise !
The Dahon Cadenza which we have on demonstration from Zyro ( the distributor) is the same.
With most bike manufacturers due to bring out their 2011 models over the next couple of months there will be loads of opportunities to pick up a bargain and add a conversion at a reasonable end cost.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am very interested.......Can you explain the real difference between these models? other then the RR has a rear mounted battery?(I personally dont like this arrangement) Advert says one is a high torque version....I am interested in how these different specs practiacally manifest themselves. Does the HT have a slower speed then others?

does the assistance cut out at 15 mph?

also as these are essentially euro versions of the Bionx kits, can a throttle be retro fitted like on the original Canadian versions?

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Personally it was the rear rack battery which attracted me to the trek in the first place. Throw a pair of panniers on, an 99% of people would not know its electric. whereas a great big battery hanging off the frame leaves no doubt. But i guess if you do not want to hide the electric side this would not be a problem. But one thing for certain is, i have now tried most the uk systems and the bionx kit is by far the most polished system. My only complaint about the trek system is the battery range if you use 200% assist too much. But easily solved by throwing a spare battery in the panniers, its not too heavy 2.9 Kg. The bike also has not been designed as primarily an electric bike, it main function is a fitness bike with electric assist. I know that bionx have brought out a 10A/hr battery so that would sort the range issue out, but for me its not a problem. I prefer two batteries anyway as all you eggs are not in one basket if one was to fail.

Noticed your other thread, can only talk about the Trek system but i guess it would apply to all Bionx conversions. You can cycle the Trek easily without any electrical assist it just feels like you have a set of loaded panniers. Much nicer with some assist but most definitely not essential, its also very powerful it could climb hills easily and i weigh well over 18 stone so no issues there.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
its all about weight distribution really and why I like the BionX so much. the weight slung low in middle of bike is a far better arangement then at high level slung out the back. plus I want the 10 amp battery as well which is even heavier.

I have reservations re these euro kit versions though, as the Canadian 350 watt is probably far superior and has a throttle:rolleyes:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Can really on speak about my circumstances but i find that the 250 Watt motors do the job for me. I cannot see the need for more as it still allows me to get a decent cardiovascular workout and when i do not feel like a workout its effectively flattens the hills when i feel tired.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I would be happy enough with the 250 watt HT model as well, which from what I have read is pretty powerful anyway.........But my knee can really do with the assistance that a throttle provides:)

is there a socket anywhere on your bike for a throttle connection?

C

Cyclezee

Bionx kits and some some complete bikes are available from Austria and Switzerland on eBay.

Austria being in the EU means no ridiculous import duty or VAT will be payable making them more affordable. Delivery is also unbelieveably cheap.

I think Switzerland, although not within the EU, may also be exempt from import duty.

I quite like the KTM models, but full spec is not given.

There is of course the Bionx powered Kalkhoff coming next year and promises to be better than the Trek models. The Kalkhoffs will have the back up of 50cycles in the UK.

Bionx items - Get great deals on Sporting Goods, hub motor items on eBay UK!

J:) hn

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Part of the reason i went with the Trek is the Fx 7.5 is a cracking commuter bike in its own right. Plus Trek take customer service very seriously and my reasoning was the backup would be second to none but hopefully will never test this. But mainly Trek make bigger frames all the way up to 64 cm which is what i needed.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Excuse my ignorance here but i have a question about the new 10A/Hr Rear rack battery. It says its a lithium Maganese battery but the current Trek uses Lithium Ion. Would it just be the case of buying the new battery and slotting it in or are they completely different?

Last edited:

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
My wife's Li-Mn battery and my Li-ion battery are interchangeable on our bikes, and use the same charger.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Nick,

Excellent, that solves the range problem now just need to find a supplier of the 10A/Hr rear rack battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All these lithium batteries are Li-ion, the manganese just denotes the cathode material. Even the one designated Li-ion almost certainly has a manganese based cathode too.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Flecc

Whats the chance of a Li-polymer battery for an E bike catching alight when charging?
Is it the bms in an E bike battery that might protect from it unlike the cases of laptop and mobile phones that had problems a few years ago.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Negligible risk Dave. The problem with the original batteries was that they used the best usable cathode material at the time, cobalt. When carefully manufactured that was fine and very efficient, e-bikes used that too. Unfortunately with time and larger scale mass production, standards slipped and minor errors n production could result in a chemical problem arising.

Lithium is potentialy dangerous stuff and it never normally exists in a battery in metallic form, but those manufacturing defects resulted in crystals of metallic lithium forming and growing in the electrolyte. These crystals grow in a jagged way with very sharp projections, so as they grew they could puncture the internal insulation between layers and create short circuits.

With the large capacity in laptop and e-bike batteries those short circuit currents were large, leading to fire, internal breakdown multiplying the shorts and even leading to explosion. This could happen randomly at any time, not just when charging and even when idle in transit, hence the air travel bans and limitations.

The cobalt was hurriedly replaced by manganese which was much safer but less efficient, this leading to the well known period of lithium battery premature failures. Over time they have been improved and compound cathodes have now been developed which can safely include cobalt again. Today's polymer batteries are all of this type and probably as safe as any battery technology.

That said, all high capacity batteries should be treated with respect of course, all types are potentially household bombs if abused.

Last edited: