BionX in the rain

RonReid

Just Joined
Dec 1, 2008
I have bought and installed UK imported Boinx P250HT.
In the last month I have been doing 36 miles per day and the motor has performed well. I am so far using about 50% battery over this distance if the meter is accurate.
Light rain has so far caused no problems but I have now used the bike twice in heavy downpours. The bike gets me to my destination in the rain but when I attempt the return journey at the end of the day (in dry weather) I hit failures. The console behaves erratically and power is delivered in spurts or not at all. It also randomly flips from assist to regen mode.

Removing the battery drying and & checking all electical connections makes no difference.

With the distance I do I was willing to pay for reliability and BionX isn't cheap. It's website FAQ also advertises its products as rain safe.

Are there any other BionX users out there who have had the same experience & can offer any tips?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
at those prices demand a replacement..........

It will be interesting to see what the custumer support is like.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This is very unusual, I've never heard of it on a BionX before. Clearly water has got into the control or controller somehow. Definitely do as Eddie suggests, refer to the supplier immediately since this isn't good enough for a high end product.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Ron,
I had a PL-350 until recently and it never missed a beat in heavy rain whilst riding or after being parked out doors.
Before contacting the supplier, I would ensure all electrical contacts are secure and not damaged and that the sensor cable under the brake lever is correctly positioned, i.e. sliding it backward and forward until it is in the correct relationship with the magnet under the brake lever.
You can also check the symtoms here Troubleshooting - BionX - Intelligent Mobility Systems

J:) hn

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi Ron

I've had a BionX 350 for a few years now and use it for commuting as well as general riding about, and I've not had any problems with rain. My wife has a BionX too and, although she doesn't use it as much, she's not had any problems with rain either.

All I can think is that, as others have said, water has got somewhere it shouldn't - maybe into one of the connectors to the motor or the console. Short of going over everything with a magnifying glass looking for cracks, I can't really think of anything helpful I'm afraid, other than to say that there's a problem somewhere as the bike should be 100% reliable.

Do let us know how you get on.