BionX Taken Over

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've heard nothing, but it looks genuine. Their sales are small at present, so it probably didn't cost much.

The reservations about a motor company taking it over are an irony, considering that Chrysler designed it in the first place, before joining GM in giving up on that avenue of EV research.

And the early GM e-bike research? It became the Currie Electrodrive.

I wish a few more car companies had spent big bucks that way in the days when the motor industry was more flush with cash.

The only one that could afford such a luxury now is the world's biggest, Toyota, and with their hybrid Prius experience, they could probably produce something really good.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
im not over optomistic about any motor company wanting to develop an e-bike for £1500 when they can sell their cars for £15000 or more though...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
im not over optomistic about any motor company wanting to develop an e-bike for £1500 when they can sell their cars for £15000 or more though...
Not so Keith, they are only too happy to sell bikes. Even Porsche has a very expensive bike you can buy through their dealers, and Mercedes (Daimler Benz at the time) even had a Mercedes electric bike, a high priced rear hub motor job, no doubt using the Heinzmann motor.

Toyota could use their Lexus division to launch a high priced quality one.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
i suppose for non car drivers like me they would not be doing themselves no harm........however other then a longer lasting battery and a slightly faster speed they couldnt do anything to tempt me, maybe when and if i go for a full size bike that would be different matter......but i will have to win the lottery first..:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i suppose for non car drivers like me they would not be doing themselves no harm.....
Actually they sell them to owners of their cars Keith. People who buy top end cars like to have their weekend "play" bikes with the same top name on them, rather than a common bike company name, and they pay thousands for the privilege. Good business for the car company, and those like Toyota's Lexus division who don't do that are missing out.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
yes i can imagine the toffee nose will pop on their "designer label" bike just to go the 50 yards to their garage....:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yes i can imagine the toffee nose will pop on their "designer label" bike just to go the 50 yards to their garage....:rolleyes:
Well, you have to feel sorry for them when the drive is half a mile long down to their post box in the gatepost and the servants haven't turned up. :rolleyes:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Well, you have to feel sorry for them when the drive is half a mile long down to their post box in the gatepost and the servants haven't turned up. :rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes agreed,
how do you get by it,call a board meeting at the gate and collect them while there perhaps ?

johnl

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I tried to investigate this back in January and did not find much. The Bionx web page seems frozen in time. Evidently the Bionx people are not relying much on the Internet.

Contrary to what was posted to the Yahoo site, I do find that various dealers are now offering a 500 Watt Bionx motor. It is advertised as giving more speed but having less torque than the 350 Watt Bionx kit.

I've been stuck at 607 miles on my Bionx kit for the last two weeks as the weather and soccer practice have interfered with my riding. As soon as I hit 620 miles, 1000 kilometers, I'll write a review.

Later,
John