Bl00dy Bugs!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
We had a low tech answer to bugs back in the 1960s motorcycle days. We wore open face helmets an goggles. We wore a ladies headscarf folded into a triangle [one diagonal fold].This was worn covering the lower face. Choose one that is breathable, but keeps bugs out. It may look like you are out to rob a bank, but it works.

Reactions: LeighPing

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
We had a low tech answer to bugs back in the 1960s motorcycle days. We wore open face helmets an goggles. We wore a ladies headscarf folded into a triangle [one diagonal fold].This was worn covering the lower face. Choose one that is breathable, but keeps bugs out. It may look like you are out to rob a bank, but it works.
Same as, but worn by "men" so there called bandanas ;)
It's a bit like skipping ropes, if a "man" has one it's called a jump rope :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

EddieH

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2015
I tend to wear a fluorescent yellow jacket when out on my bike so that the blind bellends around here can see me. Unfortunately the frips seem to think I am a 22 stone 6' flower rushing to feed them. Eating some of them is my only chance of revenge on the little sods.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
This is an interesting thread for me, and it would be great if someone did find a mouth mask that didn't make you look like a relative of Darth Vader.

Almost all of my cycling is along quiet country lanes and tracks, so the bug population at certain times of the year is a steady facial bombardment.

I always wear glasses now, and I have a couple of wraparound pairs that work well and don't make me look like I should be wearing Lycra, so that's solved the eyeballs problem.

I try to keep my gob shut, but I've had a few close calls with bumble bees crashing off my cheeks while my mouth was slightly open, so the possibility is quite worrying.

What we need is a simple flesh coloured triangle of plastic with a fine mesh. Surely it exists somewhere on this planet ? :rolleyes:

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
neo_no_mouth.jpg Something like this maybe.....

No, hang on though, I'd still be breathing through just my nose....

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
That's a disappointment then......

Judging by the lack of any further replies, maybe they're aren't any "low-vis" cycling mouth masks for us ordinary earthlings..... :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing