Black.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
As I have only been cycling since my paper delivery rounds in 1959 perhaps some of you folk out there can enlighten me as to why there are an increasing amount of cyclists, both professional and leisure wearing black!
I am mindful of my 30 Class One professional years and the ability to see over most things and for some distance so I can confidently say that a cyclist wearing black would be unwise.
Now as pensiioners we currently wear yellow Hi-Vis that could be seen from the moon with rear headlights but black was never an option.
Any ideas?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
When cycling to work I wear hi -viz and to some drivers it doesn't seem to make any difference. If I go shopping then I have a lighter blue rain jacket or if colder like now a black and dark blue jacket, personally colour matters not.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the biggest problem for cyclists and to a fair extent motorcyclists is in being small in comparison with cars etc., so easily overlooked in a glance.

In daylight being dressed all over in black, or even any single colour, can make someone easier to see than being dressed in patches of various colours against what is so often a multi-coloured background.

So for me being a big single target to be seen easily is all important. That can be all over dressed in black while riding a black bike with large black pannier bags

But at night after dark or in dark areas such as under a dense tree canopy by day, everything changes and lighting and reflective clothing are what is needed.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I'm the opposite. I always wear bright colours whether this is a high-vis vest over normal clothing, a bright red jacket or a bright yellow fleece in summer. I never wear black because it is much harder to see.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Although black at night is never going to be a good choice I don't think it's a colour issue.

I think the disadvantage cyclists have is that car drivers generally look in the wrong place at junctions/traffic islands.

Drivers tend to focus on the area behind where a slower moving vehicle (Cyclist) might be.

Just an observation...

TTFN
John.

Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Hellboy_Shot_1.jpg

:p

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Well, if you can see them then whats the problem?
Problem?
No real problem, with a seating position six feet from the ground and a screen the size of a patio door quite a lot more can be seen in advance than from a car or van.

Training considerably more intensive than a car test, at least back then it was. Awareness that causing a bump up the rear would in 90% of cases result in just a tad more than a buckled rear wheel.

On my motor, even with a total of seven mirrors there were still objects fifty feet behind me, if not Hi-Viz would have been difficult to see. Blind spots? Yes quite a few.

In my case my allergy to big rubber doors opening as I get wheeled along a corridor to an ER after an industrial accident (not an RTC) reinforcing my belief that those cyclists who wear black and make themselves difficult to see should perhaps have a rethink, but then as with most things why bother as black is apparently cool – but blood is warm, for a while at least.

Cyclists with a death wish? Yes, I see more and more hence my curiosity.

Am I willing for us to take the risk without our array of LED and yellow garb? No, I didn’t get to 70 by chancing fate or trusting anyone on the roads of GB.

Jayfdee

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2018
As I have only been cycling since my paper delivery rounds in 1959 perhaps some of you folk out there can enlighten me as to why there are an increasing amount of cyclists, both professional and leisure wearing black!
I am mindful of my 30 Class One professional years and the ability to see over most things and for some distance so I can confidently say that a cyclist wearing black would be unwise.
Now as pensiioners we currently wear yellow Hi-Vis that could be seen from the moon with rear headlights but black was never an option.
Any ideas?
Black is useful on these cold sunny days to absorb some heat,but I also wear some high vis stuff as well.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I found that a high via jacket in the daytime was like an invisibility cloak. It got to the point where I was scared to wear it.

At big-time, it was the opposite. The shining reflective strips seemed to scare drivers, so they wouldn't overtake me, which was really annoying.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing I wear is for fashion reasons, unless scruffy becomes fashionable, I prefer to ride helmetless in ordinary street clothes like the Dutch do and some of my clothes are black. Since virtually all my riding has been in daylight, that isn't a problem as seventy years of cycling, mostly in London and the Home Counties, without injury shows.

Much more important than what I wear is how I ride. As an experienced truck driver like TedG, I never ride into or stop in truck blind spots, or overtake them on the nearside in slow traffic streams.

I make myself visible by sensible road positioning, where necessary dominating the lane I'm in.

I always cycle with a rear view mirror and use it to have knowledge of overtaking traffic, to avoid inconveniencing or scaring drivers by pulling out suddenly for parked vehicles, skips etc., and to plan for road bends when a driver looks likely to dangerously overtake on entry.

I slow to be able to stop in time when circumstances indicate a possible cause of collision, such as a car intending to exit a sideroad I'm approaching. That's no problem on an e-bike with the motor helping back up to speed.

On the rare occasions when I'm out with poor daytime visibility I use the lights that both my bikes have. That includes 12 LED saddles on both which can show all together or in scanning sequences from outer to inner. Drivers can then look at my illuminated backside and think "What an arse'ole" in typical anti-cyclist fashion.

lights.jpg rear2.jpg

And I've usually got big black panniers with reflective strips on when I ride, making me more obvious:

panniers.jpg panniers.jpg

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The biggest thing you can do is ride is with the assumption that every car driver has the potential to not see you. Make eye contact with the driver, for example at junctions, if you can. Second guess their moves in where they are looking, if they are looking in the opposite direction, get ready to take evasive action.
Always ride with a rear facing mirror, use this to monitor traffic overtaking you. Get use to the expected position of the car as it approaches from behind, if it's not pulling out wide or slowing down, get ready to steer into the nearside to give you as much chance as possible to avoid being hit.
Ride with confidence, make your presence known at junctions, roundabouts, traffic lights etc, again make eye contact with drivers, check they have seen you.
I always wear some hi viz, and have multiple rear lights and a helmet light. I always run front and rear lights during the day too

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why, This is the most important piece of cycling equipment there is and having seen the devastation a brain injury can cause in my eyes should be compulsory.
Cycling to me has always been just an alternative to walking so I don't dress up for it

For most of the over 70 years of my cycling there were no cycle helmets anyway.

No helmets either for 23 years of my motorcycling, they were also a later invention.

Year after year the great majority of cyclists killed in London or nationally were wearing helmets at the time, obviously inadequately protected.

Not wearing any protection of any sort I know how vulnerable I am and ride accordingly, unlike so many of the helmet wearing dangerously riding cyclists.

At 85 I've completed all my cycling and e-biking, never been hurt in any way doing it, never knocked my head once cycling, so I've never needed a helmet. I did once give my head a serious knock at work and have twice damaged it enough in my home for bleeding to result. And once at school when 12 years old one idiot kid fractured my skull with a carelessly thrown housebrick, the groove still shows.

The reason those happened was because they were unexpected. The reasons they haven't happened while cycling is because that it where it's likely so I successfully avoid the risk.

Compulsion would be madness, Australia did that and remains ever since with the lowest rate of cycling in the world at 1%. The Netherlands where no-one wears a cycle helmet has the world's highest cycling rate at 70% of the population riding daily.

Done here and the outcome would be similar, for starters it would kill racked city hire bikes since no-one will commute in carrying a helmet on the train. And many of the 73% of our London cyclists who don't wear a helmet would just not bother to ride.

It will never happen anyway, successive governments have killed every attempt to bring in compulsion since they know how silly that would be. They even determinedly killed an attempt to bring in compulsion for children.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TedG