Black.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
For most of the over 70 years of my cycling there were no cycle helmets anyway.

No helmets either for 23 years of my motorcycling, they were also a later invention.
Totally untrue there have been cycling and motorcycle helmets available for at least 60 years, however I suppose if you bury your head in the sand you are unlikely to hurt it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jayfdee and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Totally untrue there have been cycling and motorcycle helmets available for at least 60 years, however I suppose if you bury your head in the sand you are unlikely to hurt it.
I was motorcycling from 1950 when I joined the trade and there was only the all steel ACU helmet which wasn't tolerable for normal road use and only protected the crown of the head. Almost no-one used those on the road at the time and certainly none of our customers did. The most popular head wear then for motorcycling was the leather flying helmet. Later in the 1950s a helmet called the Corker came onto the market, made of compressed cork with a dangerous peak it was useless for any degree of protection. It was a few years later that better designed practical motorcycling helmets arrived and the British Standard BS 6658 for them arrived in 1985, 35 years ago.

And cycling helmets have not been around for at least 60 years. They started to make an appearance around 1975 but even then weren't seen in cycle racing where reversed peak caps were worn. But that introduction was too late since cycling other than for kids had all but died in Britain during the '60s and '70s. It was in 1981 with the arrival of the first mountain bikes that adult cycling started to revive and the helmets finally with it.

Last edited:

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I do wear a yellow Altura Yellow night vision Jacket all the time in the Winter, but might ride in non hi viz T shirt and shorts in the summer.

I commute to work all year round and the biggest difference I noticed to the way I was noticed and treated by cars approaching from the rear was when I added a bright rechargeable flashing led seat post light.

I immediately noticed a big difference. I now always have that on when I ride on the road, night or day. I don't have a flashing light at the front as I find it a distraction and hope I can see the dangers as I approach them.

I always have Ortlieb panniers attached which have high viz elements.

When driving my car at night I have been shocked at how invisible both walkers and cyclist have been who wear dark clothing with no lights.

As a biker in the 70's I remember how my mates and I all wore black leathers, often without our lights on. I was 19 and had a fast bike, thought I was indestructible, and probably quite lucky to survive that phase, although I have always had a motorbike and still have several still and continue to ride.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0150_01_01.JPG

no one can see me coming in the dark as most cover there eyes when i zoom past them :cool:

• :D
Reactions: flecc

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
A lot of my riding is along forest roads and tracks, bright flashing lights can often be seen around bends through the trees before the bike and rider are in view.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
A bright yellow Paramo Ciclo jacket for me, though it's a bit thin in winter. Pedals have flashing leds in them driven by microgenerators. And there's a 3 led rear light that strobes in crazy patterns. Mirrcyle mirror and no helmet for me, just an ear hugging wooly hat - oh it's black !
I find I get looked at/noticed more when I'm wearing a neck tube pulled up over the lower half of my face, sort of ninja look in combination with the hat.
If I see a car approaching fast from the rear I give a deliberate wobble and make it look as though I'm looking off over the fields - I'm not. Seems to slow down most and cause them to give me a wide berth.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
I was motorcycling from 1950 when I joined the trade and there was only the all steel ACU helmet which wasn't tolerable for normal road use and only protected the crown of the head. Almost no-one used those on the road at the time and certainly none of our customers did. The most popular head wear then for motorcycling was the leather flying helmet. Later in the 1950s a helmet called the Corker came onto the market
As I said 60 years, but regardless of that it is foolish not too wear a cycle helmet.

• Disagree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I said 60 years, but regardless of that it is foolish not too wear a cycle helmet.
No it is not, cycle helmets do not reduce deaths and serious injuries. Indeed there is clear evidence that they increase those.

I haven't the time at this moment but I will be presenting a thread in the Electric Bike forum showing why that is and why the government is so determined not to enforce helmet wearing.

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
The biggest thing you can do is ride is with the assumption that every car driver has the potential to not see you. Make eye contact with the driver, for example at junctions, if you can. Second guess their moves in where they are looking, if they are looking in the opposite direction, get ready to take evasive action.
Always ride with a rear facing mirror, use this to monitor traffic overtaking you. Get use to the expected position of the car as it approaches from behind, if it's not pulling out wide or slowing down, get ready to steer into the nearside to give you as much chance as possible to avoid being hit.
Ride with confidence, make your presence known at junctions, roundabouts, traffic lights etc, again make eye contact with drivers, check they have seen you.
I always wear some hi viz, and have multiple rear lights and a helmet light. I always run front and rear lights during the day too

Exactly this.. Ditch the headphones and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Treat every vehicle like it will KILL or maim you and ride defensively. The eye contact thing is so important at junctions and roundabouts. Its saved by arse a few times over the years. This works for Motorcycles, EBikes and Pushbikes. .

The clothing thing, definitely at night with lights on, but during the day it doesn't make a huge difference in my experience (for what its worth) and I suppose some riders just want to avoid the dweeb look.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
You have much to learn, facts to replace your instinctive presumptions.
Of which you have provided none. The UCI makes it compulsory to wear helmets and I can't see them doing that if as you say they cause more serious injuries and deaths, So please try and be more responsible before making false statements.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Sorry I started this thread with a simple question about riders in black which from my experience I felt was unwise in todays climate.
I really didn't want it to turn into a war of words. :(
Apologies, but having seen the result of brain injury I would not wish it on anybody so for someone to say helmets cause more deaths and injuries to cyclists is something I find completely irresponsible. Once again apologies for using your thread on clothing.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
Apologies, but having seen the result of brain injury I would not wish it on anybody so for someone to say helmets cause more deaths and injuries to cyclists is something I find completely irresponsible. Once again apologies for using your thread on clothing.
No apologies necessary.

My initial thoughts were based on the amount of “Johnny Cash” guys I see on bicycles when Hi-Viz is readily available. There have been many opinions and I respect folk for that, however we shall still be wearing yellow vests or jackets depending on the season.

As for headgear, that would go back to my days on motorbikes 1961 onwards when I wore a “pudding basin” before they were compulsory because Mother kicked up a proper stink regarding a possible injury. It was later changed to Agostini colours and I felt fine.

Cycling and eventually e-biking was always to involve some sort of protective headgear but that was a personal choice for us and we respect those who choose not to.

Towards the enforced end to my biking in 1993 after an industrial accident I had been wearing an expensive helmet and I was never tempted to do otherwise.

After and during our war here with Stormont I had a lot of communication from the Head of Roads Policing who had seen us a few times and complimented us on our outfits, so not compulsory but perhaps advisory were her terms.

Reactions: Amoto65

Trickyh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 16, 2021
If you visit a forum called Bike radar . The helmet debate comes up with alarming regularity and has been going on for years (along with the merits of disc brakes on road bikes).. Unfortunately everyone thinks they are right.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
As for headgear, that would go back to my days on motorbikes 1961 onwards when I wore a “pudding basin” before they were compulsory because Mother kicked up a proper stink regarding a possible injury. It was later changed to Agostini colours and I felt fine.
Very similar to myself regarding motorbikes and I have to say black was the colour of choice then, However now with advancing years hi-viz is now the colour when cycling.

Reactions: TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Of which you have provided none. The UCI makes it compulsory to wear helmets and I can't see them doing that if as you say they cause more serious injuries and deaths, So please try and be more responsible before making false statements.
I've said I will be providing in due course.

I'm speaking of on the roads where the UCI doesn't legislate of course. However your response shows very clearly where your lack of understanding is.

I've made no false statements.