bms

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
i was wondering, does the bms have to be conected at all times or can you conect it just for when its charging ?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Except A123 cells... BMS what BMS :p

Jerry

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
Lithium cells both charge and discharge at uneven rates, so yes, the BMS should be a permanent part of the battery.
bugger that means finding space thats already limited. i suppose it would not rebalance the battery just on charge up if i use shallow charge and discharge and use the bms if i know that my journey is a deep discharge run ?
thanks tk.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't use a BMS on my RC lithium cells but I do use modules to monitor low voltage when in use. The latest RC lithium cells keep their balance incredibly well, I also bulk charge them with dual power supplies and only balance them out on charge with some neat modules from Hobby City if they drift too far apart.

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
I don't use a BMS on my RC lithium cells but I do use modules to monitor low voltage when in use. The latest RC lithium cells keep their balance incredibly well, I also bulk charge them with dual power supplies and only balance them out on charge with some neat modules from Hobby City if they drift too far apart.
could i do the balancing with a watts up or cycle analyst as iv'e read people do.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Not that I'm aware of...you'll need to either use an RC charger or multiples and charge each pack separately or bulk charge with a CC/CV PSU and use something like this battery medic from Hobby City to keep packs balanced at the end of charge:

HobbyKing Online R/C Hobby Store : Hobby King Battery Medic System 6S

I should add that tppacks.com will be releasing a BMS soon based on the Hobby City Cell log devices, maybe something to look out for in the next few weeks

Last edited:

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
could i do the balancing with a watts up or cycle analyst as iv'e read people do.
You can get away with not using a BMS short term, long term it's going to cost you! it's going to cost you some new batteries! use a BMS don't think about not doing so, no matter what you read !
it's your money, a decent BMS is not expensive, use one ok!

Griz

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
You can get away with not using a BMS short term, long term it's going to cost you! it's going to cost you some new batteries! use a BMS don't think about not doing so, no matter what you read !
it's your money, a decent BMS is not expensive, use one ok!

Griz
ok i get the message.i got one with the battery already wired.will extend the wiring and try to stuff it somwere.
thanks tk

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
ok i get the message.i got one with the battery already wired.will extend the wiring and try to stuff it somwere.
thanks tk
They do need a bit of air around them, the charging mosfet can get very hot, it is designed to do this, but it will not do your battery any good if this heat is transfered to it. Some insulating material between the BMS and the battery would be a good idea. Enjoy your LIFEPO4 :)