BMW integrates e-bike with e-car

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
What an excellent idea.......now if Mercedes follows suit I would be REALLY interested. ;)

Lynda :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I want a folding car that I can carry on my e-bike for when it rains.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I want a folding car that I can carry on my e-bike for when it rains.
Haha...very good Flecc....let me know when you find one :D

aeschylus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2012
Be very surprised if that comes out, like most good ideas (and it is a cracking idea) it is ruined by criminals, you will have them cracking the boots of these cars to get at the bikes, like they do when they scan for laptops in boots of cars

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Be very surprised if that comes out, like most good ideas (and it is a cracking idea) it is ruined by criminals, you will have them cracking the boots of these cars to get at the bikes, like they do when they scan for laptops in boots of cars

That may well be, but I hope not....

Because dont you think that the day we stop introducing innovative ideas, just because of the potential threat from the criminal classes ruining it , it would be time for us all to just b***** give up altogether ?

aeschylus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2012
I could not agree more, but if they become infamous for having the bikes nicked they will die before it gets going...

It would need to have some real top security, like a massive D'clamp that is welded into the car

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I could not agree more, but if they become infamous for having the bikes nicked they will die before it gets going...

It would need to have some real top security, like a massive D'clamp that is welded into the car

Or maybe if the boot is tampered with the whole thing just detonates :D

Or would a better idea be that we all migrate to live in low crime areas and leave the inner cities to criminals to play in peace with each others 'toys' ........no...thinking about it, they would probably still want to have day trips out to the country to 'play' with ours....solution.....just have to keep paying the extortionate insurance premiums I guess....

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Or maybe if the boot is tampered with the whole thing just detonates :D

Or would a better idea be that we all migrate to live in low crime areas and leave the inner cities to criminals to play in peace with each others 'toys' ........no...thinking about it, they would probably still want to have day trips out to the country to 'play' with ours....solution.....just have to keep paying the extortionate insurance premiums I guess....

Or shoot the b******s !

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Or shoot the b******s !
Yes...succinct and to the point Don......probably the best solution overall...oh, I wish I could be prime minister if only for a few months......I just know I could make all our lives so much better with a bit of female common sense......and just be careful how you reply.... in case I ever do get into a position of power......I have a very long memory and a vivid imagination, I reckon power could go to my head VERY quickly LOL :D

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Read about it in this report:

Bike Europe
Honda did something very similar over 11 years ago with their Honda Step Compo e-bike and Step Wagon car. The Honda Step Compo was the first bike we ever imported and sold, we still have one on display up in Loughborough. It had a nifty pedal assist system, similar to the Yamaha and Panasonic, but Honda stopped making them around 2004.

Honda Worldwide | April 5, 2001 "Honda Announces New "STEP COMPO" Foldable Motor-Assisted Bicycle"
Honda Worldwide | World News | News Release | April 5, 2001

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Ok, so thinking about it, the real advantage of the e car/e bike scenario is obviously the facility of being able to charge the bike in situ whilst driving......cos after all, we can all put a folder into the back of a car.....SO.....my question is......is there anything that can be added to a normal car that is able to successfully recharge an electric bike in situ whilst on the move ?
Is there a powerful enough ' power ace' type portable battery/car starter able to do it whilst plugged into the cigar socket.....or even operating independantly.......in a reasonably quick time ?