Bosch bearings

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I read this thread from end to end and It's my personal opinion that the attitude shown is poor. I would not buy a Bosch motored bike after this.

BTW both Kalkhoff and Woosh have transferable warranties. That's just two.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
:

If you sold your bike to a mate Phill, they wouldn't get the warranty anyway, because its only valid to the original purchaser. This is standard in all warranties that I know of.

This would have been a warranty, but it isn't - so all this debate is really missing the point.

Obviously, you are correct _ But only if one does not expect the bike to last longer than the warranty period.I suspect this has hammered the 2nd-hand viability of Bosch ebikes; if the only way to get a bottom bracket bearing is to replace the whole motor/gearbox.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I appreciate you might not have read all the thread so I'll try to put this clearly.

This isn't a warranty, because the customer invalidated the warranty Bosch offer by running his bike with a dongle.

Had it been a warranty, Bosch would have supplied a new drive and this would have been done though the dealer from where the bike was purchased or us, or even another dealer if they wanted the work.

So some points to note:

If you sold your bike to a mate Phill, they wouldn't get the warranty anyway, because its only valid to the original purchaser. This is standard in all warranties that I know of.

This would have been a warranty, but it isn't - so all this debate is really missing the point.

This thread should be entitled.... "I need to buy some bearings for my Bosch equipped bike, can anyone help me source some?" . If it had been it would be sorted by now I suspect.
I wasn't meaning the warranty, I am becoming concerned over reliability and how I would feel having sold it if it broke!

Reactions: flecc and jackhandy
I wasn't meaning the warranty, I am becoming concerned over reliability and how I would feel having sold it if it broke!
its just a cartridge bearing. Bearings are designed to wear out, and be replaced when they do. All bearings have a life span. Its hardly an un reliable system, this customer has done 4000 miles now with no issues.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Obviously, you are correct _ But only if one does not expect the bike to last longer than the warranty period.I suspect this has hammered the 2nd-hand viability of Bosch ebikes; if the only way to get a bottom bracket bearing is to replace the whole motor/gearbox.
Sorry but I dont agree. the life of a product should far exceed the warranty period, I thought the warranty was designed to cover for manufacturing and other faults that develop earlier than they should. I would expect mine to last far longer than 2 years..

Its not! Oh my GOD this is hard work.

The bearing is replaceable. Artsu has had his drive apart and can replace the bearing. He's just struggling to find somewhere that has the bearing in the UK. But as the thread shows, he hasn't actually tried contacting many people.

Reactions: EddiePJ
Sorry but I dont agree. the life of a product should far exceed the warranty period, I thought the warranty was designed to cover for manufacturing and other faults that develop earlier than they should. I would expect mine to last far longer than 2 years..
thats fine for you to disagree with, but I'm afraid you're wrong.

Warranty covers manufacturing faults. Are you seriously suggesting that things like brake pads, tyres, bearings etc etc should all last the full time of the warranty?? They are items that wear and as such can be totally perfect and still last a very short time.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You say the thread should be titled: How can I source a bearing. But there doesn't seem to be any source for them at all unless he buys a huge amount. In another answer you suggested he contact Bosch dealers to see if they had one. But why would they when it's not a replaceable part?

So 4000 miles, a useless motor which can't be repaired because the part is not available to buy and that's okay?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I read this thread from end to end and It's my personal opinion that the attitude shown is poor. I would not buy a Bosch motored bike after this.

Wisper too.

I've just had a look at Woosh bikes.....

can't see where they say that they will transfer the warranty, but that was a side debate.

It says clearly on their website:

"Can I derestrict your electric bikes?

No, it will void your warranty."

and they also say a few things that simply aren't true.

ie:

all bikes under £2000 are made in China.

You say the thread should be titled: How can I source a bearing. But there doesn't seem to be any source for them at all unless he buys a huge amount. In another answer you suggested he contact Bosch dealers to see if they had one. But why would they when it's not a replaceable part?

So 4000 miles, a useless motor which can't be repaired because the part is not available to buy and that's okay?
John... None of that is correct.

1) He can buy one. I've seen the email from the supplier.

2) A Bosch dealer might have one, they might have bought a drive and stripped it for parts, because there are lots of small parts that aren't available from Bosch as spares that you might need. Or they might have a bike thats been involved in a crash, so the frame was a right off and replaced on insurance so they have a pretty new drive unit they could strip. I don't know... I'm not a Bosch dealer. All I'm saying is I'd be calling them all before coming on here. Its the same with loads of bike parts. Look at a rear mech on a standard bike. Most of the parts aren't available as spares, from Shimano, but if you contact a bike shop, most have most parts in stock from ones they've split.

3) IT IS A REPLACEABLE PART. They just won't do it on warranty.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
So why is he writing that he needs to buy a truckful? He's stripped the motor down and rebuilt it with the old bearing, so if he had a new one he could fit it and the problem and this thread would be over.

But he says he can't buy one at a reasonable price. So either he's wrong about that or you are.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
but when it comes to the crunch it is all bluster, wind and bugger all end assistance it seems.
Wissy has Fli summed up. I started this thread to ask a simple question Col. You chose to wade in and make the issue with yourselves public. Your sole aim was to discredit me and try to make Fli look good and give the impression that you care.
That's all you do make bluster and wind, and if you got the chance you'd expect someone to pay you for it. All you've done is waste my time with false promises.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
thats fine for you to disagree with, but I'm afraid you're wrong.

Warranty covers manufacturing faults. Are you seriously suggesting that things like brake pads, tyres, bearings etc etc should all last the full time of the warranty?? They are items that wear and as such can be totally perfect and still last a very short time.
Where these bearings are concerned that is utter nonsense. There is absolutely no excuse for a crank unit design having bearings that could ever fail within the warranty period.

That never happens with either the Panasonic or old Yamaha units. The bearing positions in question in the Panasonic units never suffer failure, even at well over a decade old and regardless of mileage. That also applied to their S class units which are the rough equivalent of a dongled Bosch in performance terms.

Bearings of around these dimensions are used in motorcycle gearboxes etc at power and torque loadings in large multiples of the bike crank units, and run for many years trouble free. One of these bearings failing with the very low power and torque capability of a bike motor crank unit and cyclist must either be faulty or wrongly specified in the design stage. The change in bearing in the Bosch unit may indicate the latter could be the problem.

That the owner used a dongle, though legally correct as an excuse for not honouring a warranty, is in reality just a pathetic cop-out.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As detailed earlier I had a similar problem in that the supplying dealer wasn't able to help me, but when I contacted Scott directly they couldn't have been more helpful or supportive. The dealer issue may still persist as they dont seem able to get any support from Bosch but as the brand has taken my comments on board I expect that will change.
Warranties are a bit like insurance policies, you never know how good they are until you make a claim!!

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
John... None of that is correct.

1) He can buy one. I've seen the email from the supplier.

2) A Bosch dealer might have one, they might have bought a drive and stripped it for parts, because there are lots of small parts that aren't available from Bosch as spares that you might need. Or they might have a bike thats been involved in a crash, so the frame was a right off and replaced on insurance so they have a pretty new drive unit they could strip. I don't know... I'm not a Bosch dealer. All I'm saying is I'd be calling them all before coming on here. Its the same with loads of bike parts. Look at a rear mech on a standard bike. Most of the parts aren't available as spares, from Shimano, but if you contact a bike shop, most have most parts in stock from ones they've split.

3) IT IS A REPLACEABLE PART. They just won't do it on warranty.
in my reality (two cars, five plus bikes, all way, and i mean way, way, way, over 5000 miles on each) bearings have not failed. the last bearing ive had to repair was ten years ago on a '55 berkeley SE360. No, i really wont be buying a Bosch pedelec ANY time soon..

Reactions: Artstu
there are lots of things I could reply to, but I'll just pick a couple to make my point. If I've missed anything that any of you want a response on I'm sorry.

in my reality (two cars, five plus bikes, all way, and i mean way, way, way, over 5000 miles on each) bearings have not failed. the last bearing ive had to repair was ten years ago on a '55 berkeley SE360. No, i really wont be buying a Bosch pedelec ANY time soon..
bearing on cars wear out. I've had the hub bearings replaced on my Passat for instance.

http://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-articles/symptoms-of-a-worn-wheel-hub-bearing/

But he says he can't buy one at a reasonable price. So either he's wrong about that or you are.
"a reasonable price" is a debatable point.

I'd say getting the drive back to as good as new for €58 is a reasonable price, and as that involves getting a part from China, I'm confident there are better options as I've suggested above. I'd also be seeing if I could get some elsewhere for cheaper. You've not been involved in the discussions or seen the emails, so probably best if you don't jump to conclusions..

As detailed earlier I had a similar problem in that the supplying dealer wasn't able to help me, but when I contacted Scott directly they couldn't have been more helpful or supportive. The dealer issue may still persist as they dont seem able to get any support from Bosch but as the brand has taken my comments on board I expect that will change.
Warranties are a bit like insurance policies, you never know how good they are until you make a claim!!
This is the perfect example. We help people all the time, and we even did with this customer last time - we helped him perfectly last time, when his Shimano hub was missing gears.

You got help from Scott, just as we help people all the time. Thats normal service when a dealer can't for whatever reason.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
its just a cartridge bearing. Bearings are designed to wear out, and be replaced when they do. All bearings have a life span. Its hardly an un reliable system, this customer has done 4000 miles now with no issues.
Bearings are not designed to wear out. They are designed to keep turning.

They will eventually wear out but this feature is not be design.

4000 miles if F'All for a bearing of this size and design. It should still be as good as new.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Its not! Oh my GOD this is hard work.

The bearing is replaceable. Artsu has had his drive apart and can replace the bearing. He's just struggling to find somewhere that has the bearing in the UK. But as the thread shows, he hasn't actually tried contacting many people.
In that case I'm sure you will let us all know immediately you, Artstu, or anyone else, puts the correct replacement bearing on this bike and how much it cost _ Because, at the moment, it looks to a thick-oh like me that this is not a simply replaceable part.

Bearings are not designed to wear out. They are designed to keep turning.

They will eventually wear out but this feature is not be design.

4000 miles if F'All for a bearing of this size and design. It should still be as good as new.
ok, fair point. What I should have said, its designed to be replaced. They will all do it eventually, its a moving part with friction involved.