Bosch bearings

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The bottom bracket on my Bosch motor has developed a lot of play on the drive side. Are these user or dealer serviceable? or is the only option available having to send it back to Bosch for repair?

I understand that a bottom bracket on a normal bicycle is not covered by a warranty, worn bearings are not considered to be a fault, just normal serviceable parts. I'm concerned that wear in the bottom bracket of the Bosch could also lead to damage occurring to other parts in the housing.

Has anyone any experience of changing the bottom bracket bearings on a Bosch motor?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
What do you mean by bottom bracket (sorry being thick) ..? get confused when you say it is part of motor but then possibly covered under warranty. Had to get my motor sent back and that took over a month because they did not have a spare motor at all in stock for warranty issues.....

D

Deleted member 4366

I think he means that his crank spindle has developed some play, i.e. it's rattling up and down a bit instead of going round and round. Is that what you had?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Wissy I think the play is in the part similar to the one below, that is housed in the motor, but I'm not sure if this is or isn't covered under warranty, and I'm not sure if Bosch actually sell the parts to service the unit at home or even at the dealers.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Mine was an issue moving at all rather than having some play. Perhaps the brand sellers would be able to answer better rather than dealers? Ie KTM perhaps could clarify what is / isn't covered... Col anywhere?

Also I would like to ask somebody like Col what would a buyer have to do to get a part fixed a. Under warranty or b. no warranty left if there was no dealer eg second hand bike, overseas buy, ebay etc? Bosch and SRAM etc don't seem to deal with Joe Bloggs. So how woukd you get parts fixed for a KTM in such circumstances.. Or does KTM and such manufacturers not care / get involved because the part needing fixing is not their responsibility?

D

Deleted member 4366

Play in the bearings of a Bosch motor should be covered under warranty. They're not a service item like on a normal bike, neither is there a conventional BB in there.

D

Deleted member 4366

This is what's inside. The crank spindle is the bit in the middle with the white gear on it:

bosch motor.jpg

Reactions: Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Play in the bearings of a Bosch motor should be covered under warranty. They're not a service item like on a normal bike, neither is there a conventional BB in there.
Those were my thoughts too. I also have my eye on the future for when the bearings fail again in a another year's time, when the motor is out of warranty as Wissy points out.

Mine was an issue moving at all rather than having some play. Perhaps the brand sellers would be able to answer better rather than dealers? Ie KTM perhaps could clarify what is / isn't covered... Col anywhere?
I can help, but we very much try not to get involved with individual cases, because the warranty is with the dealer you bought it from, not the brand. The shops warranty is then with us. For a whole range of reasons its for everyone's benefit that the supply chain remains intact.

Also I would like to ask somebody like Col what would a buyer have to do to get a part fixed a. Under warranty or b. no warranty left if there was no dealer eg second hand bike, overseas buy, ebay etc?
if there is no dealer, there is no warranty, generally. You have to go back to the person you bought the bike from to claim on a warranty. This is one of the reasons why new bikes cost more. Dealers have to make a certain margin to cover all the cost of selling bikes, and looking after customers. If you save money by buying second hand, or from overseas - its this service and support that you're not paying for - and therefore don't get.

Bosch and SRAM etc don't seem to deal with Joe Bloggs. So how woukd you get parts fixed for a KTM in such circumstances.. Or does KTM and such manufacturers not care / get involved because the part needing fixing is not their responsibility?
This is because Bosch / Sram dont sell to Joe Bloggs. Their relationship is with the person who bought the product. They don;t sell to the public, so they don't deal with the public. So if you have a broken part thats not covered under warranty you'd simply need to go to a KTM or Bosch, or any other brand dealer and buy the parts you need, and the dealer will fit and service them. As you'll have then purchased new products from a dealer, those parts will be covered by a warranty, even if the rest of the bike isn't.

I should just point out, that warranty covers manufacturing faults. This does not include things wearing out, unless its worn out in an excessively short time frame. So I'm afraid bearings are generally not covered.

I'm not sure Bosch would cover a warranty on a drive thats been used with a Dongle anyway. But thats another discussion, and a question I will ask them when I meet with them next week.

Regards
Col

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
if there is no dealer, there is no warranty, generally. You have to go back to the person you bought the bike from to claim on a warranty. This is one of the reasons why new bikes cost more. Dealers have to make a certain margin to cover all the cost of selling bikes, and looking after customers. If you save money by buying second hand, or from overseas - its this service and support that you're not paying for - and therefore don't get.

Regards
Col
Doesn't work like that with most consumer items, from cars to TVs though in practice. What happens if you buy in one country and then move to another and have a problem? Or are on holiday? I can just see a Volkswagen dealer in the UK telling someone in that position to crate the car up and get it sent back to the dealer in Germany or wherever it was he bought it.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My understanding is the Bosch system uses an ISIS bottom bracket.

I wonder if the white cog on the bottom bracket in d8's pic will disassemble leaving a replaceable ISIS bottom bracket.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
But what if the bike is out of warranty Col? What then? You say take it back to the dealer...? What if dealer only says they only sort things out if under warranty? What if the dealer is far away? What if you want a quote? How do you get stuff like Bosch fixed if there is no warranty left? Are you also saying it is basically not possible to fix a Bosch problem on a KTM bike if out of warranty or if no dealer (for whatever reason.. !)?

Cars aren't the best comparison.
Doesn't work like that with most consumer items, from cars to TVs though in practice. What happens if you buy in one country and then move to another and have a problem? Or are on holiday? I can just see a Volkswagen dealer in the UK telling someone in that position to crate the car up and get it sent back to the dealer in Germany or wherever it was he bought it.
its very much different in different sectors and with different brands. Your example is of course correct with cars. But equally you wouldn't expect to buy a Playstation from Curry's on-line you wouldn't expect your local games store to sort it out if it broke for free. Its the same with most brands in the bike industry. The warranty system is set up to support the dealers who sell the products. Ie one of my riding buddies has a set of Easton Wheels that have failed. He bought them on-line so he's had to send them back to Wiggle. Had he bought them from the local shop, he'd have paid a bit more, but they'd have helped him out with no need to ship the products back to Wiggle.

Some brands offer world wide warranty coverage and you can just walk into any dealer and they will sort the warranty, but the vast majority in cycling do not. You have to return the faulty product to the point of purchase.

But what if the bike is out of warranty Col? What then? You say take it back to the dealer...? What if dealer only says they only sort things out if under warranty? What if the dealer is far away? What if you want a quote? How do you get stuff like Bosch fixed if there is no warranty left? Are you also saying it is basically not possible to fix a Bosch problem on a KTM bike if out of warranty or if no dealer (for whatever reason.. !)?
If the bike is out of warranty, you just take it to your local shop to get fixed, or indeed you can send it anywhere to have it fixed or repaired. No bike shop should be saying they'll only work on warranty parts... if they did that they'd go bust very very quickly. A high % of any shops income is from servicing and repairs.

If you are dealing with a shop thats a long way away, this is something that I'm afraid was your decision when purchasing. There are many advantages to mail order, but equally if things need fixing or sorting out, there are some big disadvantages.

If your bike is out of warranty, fixing, servicing is 100% possible and can be done by any shop.

I hope thats answered all your questions, if you have any more, please try to make them specific questions so I can answer them clearly.

Regards
Col.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

I wonder if the white cog on the bottom bracket in d8's pic will disassemble leaving a replaceable ISIS bottom bracket.
the red blob on the side of the BB in the picture below looks like a strain gauge for torque measuring. You can't access the interface between the spindle and the BB shell with standard Isis BB.

I've not had one of these apart, so this is just my personal observation... not a professional input. For that you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

The bottom bracket looks to use cartridge bearings so the whole unit, including sensors won't need replacing, it'll more than likely just need the bearings replacing.

I will have our warranty guys look at this tomorrow, if they aren't already.

Cheers
Col.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Exactly what I was thinking, just two new cartridge bearings, I hope.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
So , being specific, am i right that you (Col) agree that it is reasonable to expect dealers of KTM pedelecs to arrange that a KTM pedelec is fixed (Bosch motor for example) outside the warranty period?

So , being specific, am i right that you (Col) agree that it is reasonable to expect dealers of KTM pedelecs to arrange that a KTM pedelec is fixed (Bosch motor for example) outside the warranty period?
no shop "has" to do anything. But any shop can take on work as and when they want to, just as any business can do. But yes its reasonable to expect that should any brand of bike (KTM included) need service or repair work doing on it that is not covered by warranty any shop would want to do that work to ensure that their workshop continues to bring in the income that is needed to keep them trading.

Just to be clear, warranty work is done "free of charge" to you the customer. The parts costs are generally covered by the brand, the labour cost is sometimes covered by the brand.

If your bike or the specific part isn't covered by warranty for whatever reason, you the customer would be paying the shop for the parts and labour.

Is that what you were looking for?

Col

D

Deleted member 4366

No, it's completely different. It looks like there's a ball-race on each end, which you should be able to remove and replace with one from a bearing supplier. They'll have numbers on them that identify them. Bosch don't make ball-races, so don't buy one through the Bosch chain: it'll only work out more expensive for the same thing.

This warranty thing would really put me off buying a used European bike. They haven't really been around long enough to test their durability, but the level of risk would be quite high, which will push down second-hand prices. People need to take this into consideration when buying new. The Chinese bikes are mainly modular. Even if you can't get hold of a direct replacement part, there's always an equivalent, which can even give you the opportunity to upgrade to latest technology.

Reactions: Mrke

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
I understand (plenty of experience) about the warranty side and payment blah but I am aware a few questions have been asked over time on this forum attempting to get the answer to that simple question of whether dealers would arrange to get non warranty issues (Bosch) fixed but responses always got diverted (as it was a bit earlier) to benefits of buying from a dealer, should not have bought from abroad or not actually answered. now it is answered at last!