Bosch Motor shutdown, Error 503, get you home only.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
My own feeling is that once we are free of the EU we should have a restrictive practices law in the UK.
I agree, but I am afraid it is likely that our laws will become weaker (as far as the consumer is concerned) rather than tighter.

Reactions: Ocsid and Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This is why you should do your research and find a decent dealer.
If I have any problem with my bike while under warranty, my dealer will lend me another e-bike untill mine is sorted.
Good point, may I ask what Bike manufacturer that is, and maybe for others here in your area, the name of the "kind" company?
Andy

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Good point, may I ask what Bike manufacturer that is, and maybe for others here in your area, the name of the "kind" company?
Andy
Do I detect a hint of disbelief in your "kind" company remark?
FYO, the dealer in question is Electrifying Cycles in Cromer, Norfolk.
The make of bike is irrelevant, they supply many brands, and will loan a bike if yours is in need of repair.

Reactions: Amoto65

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Do I detect a hint of disbelief in your "kind" company remark?
FYO, the dealer in question is Electrifying Cycles in Cromer, Norfolk.
The make of bike is irrelevant, they supply many brands, and will loan a bike if yours is in need of repair.
Not in the slightest.
If a company is kind to its customers, that needs to be rewarded....
Conversely, if they treat their customers badly, that also needs to be mentioned!
I was simply hoping that it was a Bosch bike you had, so that you could post something positive about Bosch. As its seldom possible to do that in my view!!
Andy

• Dislike
Reactions: Amoto65

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
When I get it back I will share the full story. At the mo I would rather not give too much detail.
I love the forum I wish I had found it before!!

Prefect

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2020
Once paid for, what right has the manufacture got to decided what one does with the product. Surely it's my choice? If I want to use the motor to work a water pump why not? Take the motor out and put it in a go cart why not? I don't like the control, big brother stuff. How long must I own the motor before I can do what I want. Maybe I am just renting the motor but that wasn't made clear when I bought the bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ebike shop is one of the biggest uk ebike dealers and they sell and fit dongles and honor the warranty.

imo you filled up the error memory with 503 error reports and needs a reset.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Once paid for, what right has the manufacture got to decided what one does with the product. Surely it's my choice? If I want to use the motor to work a water pump why not? Take the motor out and put it in a go cart why not? I don't like the control, big brother stuff. How long must I own the motor before I can do what I want. Maybe I am just renting the motor but that wasn't made clear when I bought the bike.
That still does not explain why you would want to make a legal bike illegal.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you claimed on warranty by asking your dealer to reset the LCD for you.
The dealer has a contract with Bosch, they can't do that without Bosch's agreement.
If you pay someone else to look after your bike and sort your problems then sure, it's not Bosch's business.
But Bosch is still legally entitled to protect their bikes against tampering.

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Not in the slightest.
If a company is kind to its customers, that needs to be rewarded....
Conversely, if they treat their customers badly, that also needs to be mentioned!
I was simply hoping that it was a Bosch bike you had, so that you could post something positive about Bosch. As its seldom possible to do that in my view!!
Andy
Bosch don't make bikes afaik, but my bike has a Bosch motor and battery, so far just over 500 miles of faultless performance. ( 500 miles is not that far, I know, but I've not had the bike that long). Personally, I'm delighted with both the bike and the motor/battery combination.
Is that positive enough for you?

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Bosch don't make bikes afaik, but my bike has a Bosch motor and battery, so far just over 500 miles of faultless performance. ( 500 miles is not that far, I know, but I've not had the bike that long). Personally, I'm delighted with both the bike and the motor/battery combination.
Is that positive enough for you?
Totally agree had my Bosch alp for over a year and over 1000 miles and it has been excellent, also had a Wisper 905 for 30 months and over 2000 miles and that too has been excellent, mind you I have not been tampering with them.

Reactions: Fishy

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
It is your bike to do what you like with it, drive a water pump or not.
However, the Warranty is a contract with terms and conditions, once they are infringed then the obligations under the warranty cease. As you admit you reversed the wiring on a component, and I suspect the Bosch Warranty has an exclusion clause for failures from acts of that kind, IMO not unreasonably.
Where I can't accept Bosch's policies is not allowing any accredited service agent to work on their equipment, on their behalf, it is IMO just too restrictive, making longer term ownership impractical, at least for me.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
ebike shop is one of the biggest uk ebike dealers and they sell and fit dongles and honor the warranty.

imo you filled up the error memory with 503 error reports and needs a reset.
If talking Bosch drive units are you sure Bosch allow the dealer to honour their warranty despite the fitment of dongles?
Or is it more a case they are economical with the truth?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
If talking Bosch drive units are you sure Bosch allow the dealer to honour their warranty despite the fitment of dongles?
yes if a motor goes wrong bosch will replace it been like it for years there are a couple of other dealers that offer this but most dont.

my motor has always had a dongle and never had a problem in 5 years

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
yes if a motor goes wrong bosch will replace it been like it for years there are a couple of other dealers that offer this but most dont.

my motor has always had a dongle and never had a problem in 5 years
So are you saying if a faulty motor was sent back to Bosch with a dongle fitted they would replace it free?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no bosch just get the motor back and send ebike shop a new one if it is faulty.

bosch know he sells bikes with dongles and replaces them anyway.

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
Reckon this is more like the reality of the matter.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
try buy a dongle then with no bike ;)A
And according to their warranty any bike that is altered is not covered, they also state a dongled bike can only be used on private land.
The warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, alteration, accident, misuse, improper maintenance or neglect such as corrosion due to storage outdoors or damp conditions or commercial use (e.g. hiring). Consumable items such as brake pads, discs, spokes, chains, cassettes, sprockets, bearings, inner tubes, wheels truing and tyres are not considered warranty items and should be maintained or replaced in accordance with wear rates and maintenance schedules.
Bikes are warrantied for normal riding within the activities for which they were designed. However failures or damage occurring during crashing or activities such as stunt riding, jumping or over loading are not covered by warranties.