Bosch Motor shutdown, Error 503, get you home only.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Returning to the Bosch ‘get you home’ mode I was under the impression that this was a part of the Bosch three strikes & you are out policy, the first & second time you dongle or mess with it you can limp to a dealer to have the system reset, the third time and the motor has to go back to Bosch.
I find the whole return the motor to Bosch thing frustrating and have commented on this forum in the past about this very subject - my comments weren’t very well received by some forum members, some doubted my integrity.
To be fair to Bosch though, they are undoubtedly under pressure to try and stop their motors being altered and modified to enable riders to circumvent the regulations that restrict eBikes to a maximum 25kmh limit, they and the better known brands in Europe are being scrutinised by the regulation makers at the EU, the French have already imposed new legislation https://cyclingindustry.news/french-government-lead-on-e-bike-tuning-with-threat-of-e30000-fine/ and the Dutch have legislated against Speed Pedelecs from using cycle lanes.

The eBike take up in the UK has exploded, the media are right behind it and it is only a matter of time before the media turns on it because that’s what they do don’t they?

The last thing that I (or Bosch I suspect) want is to end up with eBike access to cycle paths being restricted and for helmets and number plates being made compulsory (the list goes on) because the regulations are being casually disregarded, it’s not as though the 15.5mph cut out stops you going faster you just have to pedal harder, if you cannot or will not pedal harder you have a choice, go slower or buy a speed pedelec.
The only questioning of dongles that I have seen in this thread has consistently referred to warranty implications none to either safety or the ethics of tampering with a bike & concealing it from the company that you expect to foot the bill for any warranty repairs.
The Bosch or hub motor debate reminds me of my two sons when they were much younger - one was a PlayStation fan, the other an Xbox fan, neither had a good word to say about the others choice but that didn’t stop them playing on each other’s machines.
I’ve got a Legio Pro with a generation 3 CX and an EZEGO Commute with a rear hub, both excellent bikes but there is no doubt in my mind that the EZEGO is far more fun than the Legio, as Xavier Hollander once said ‘it’s different strokes for different folks’ so you may feel differently, there is no need for anybody to fall out over it.
A lot of good sense in your excellent post.
The only point (which we may agree to differ on!) where I myself am not so happy with, is that I feel you are correct that Bosch do not want dongles or similar on their bikes, but the way they are going about it, simply lines their pockets with even MORE cash, taken (I feel) unfairly from their customers.
Most e-bikes (at least the ones I have seen, used and read about), do not take this "loyalty to UPHOLD the law", quite so intensively, simply because at the "end of the day", the rider/owner must take full responsibility, if picked up by the Police, not the manufacturer!
Bosch are (according to others here who I believe are correct), simply not following EU or even UK laws, with regard to customer protection and product guarantees....
Regards
Andy,

Reactions: Wisper Bikes