Bosch power

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy my first electric bike. A friend has been talking about these for some time and has lent me one of his bikes, a Scott hybrid with a Bosch drive. It's a nice bike, and I've done a few miles around the lanes and up some decent sized hills.
Today I went to try a Freego Hawk that was a good price on a EBay. It was ok but just didn't feel a high quality bike, and the hub unit felt a bit strange, not as refined as the Bosch.
Then I called at Wheelbase in Staveley and tried a Cube Touring step through. What a beautiful bike! I was smitten and have spent the evening researching them. I think this may be the bike for me.
Just a few queries that I'm hoping you can help me with:
What's the feeling about Shimano 7 speed hubs? I see that the Cube Travel has these. However it also has rim brakes rather than discs. Any thoughts?
Wheelbase have an offer on the Touring 400 at £1699 but this is a 2016 model. Anyone know if there are any upgrades on the 2017 models? They all look pretty similar.
Finally, I notice that the Bosch computer allows the wheel diameter to be altered by 5%. I'm guessing that this will allow a very modest increase in top speed to be programmed in. I'd like to be able to use as much of the ten% allowance as possible. Has anyone else tried this?
Thanks in advance....

Reactions: LeighPing

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Hi everyone, I'm looking to buy my first electric bike. A friend has been talking about these for some time and has lent me one of his bikes, a Scott hybrid with a Bosch drive. It's a nice bike, and I've done a few miles around the lanes and up some decent sized hills.
Today I went to try a Freego Hawk that was a good price on a EBay. It was ok but just didn't feel a high quality bike, and the hub unit felt a bit strange, not as refined as the Bosch.
Then I called at Wheelbase in Staveley and tried a Cube Touring step through. What a beautiful bike! I was smitten and have spent the evening researching them. I think this may be the bike for me.
What's the feeling about Shimano 7 speed hubs? I see that the Cube Travel has these. However it also has rim brakes rather than discs. Any thoughts?
Wheelbase have an offer on the Touring 400 at £1699 but this is a 2016 model. Anyone know if there are any upgrades on the 2017 models? They all look pretty similar.
Finally, I notice that the Bosch computer allows the wheel diameter to be altered by 5%. I'm guessing that this will allow a very modest increase in top speed to be programmed in. I'd like to be able to use as much of the ten% allowance as possible. Has anyone else tried this?
Thanks in advance....
Rim brakes with hydraulics .. no problem I have these on the Motus . Strong smooth reliable braking. Think of it as just another spare you won't have to buy. The discs wear out more rapidly than the rim would.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
If you like the bike buy it.

Read on here for information about going over the speed limit !!!

"Dongle" is the search

• Useful
D

Deleted member 4366

The discs wear out more rapidly than the rim would.
I'm not sure about that one, Dan. I've seen loads of rims worn right through, which is obviously very dangerous. The first you know about it is when it goes pop. I've never heard of a disc wearing through. In fact I've never seen any signs of wear on my own discs after thousands of miles.

OP, don't judge all hub-motor bikes on the basis of the Freego. The one you tried has an old control system based on speed control. Modern ones use power control, which feels much better.

If you want speed on a Bosch bike, you can fit a dongle which costs something like £130, or you can buy a bike that can have its speed adjusted through secret settings, like the Oxygen bikes and other similar ones.

• Informative

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
Ref the speed thing. I don't want to go for Dongles etc for warranty and legal reasons. I just want to nudge it up a little as I believe that the law allows up to about 17mph using the 10% allowance. My riding so far shows that I tend to want to ride at about this speed.

Ref "If you like it, buy it" Yes, you can over analyse these things but I've settled on a Cube and I think on the open frame "easy entry" bike. But there is now the choice of 400 0r 500 and of "Travel" or "Touring". In addition they all seem to be around in at least 3 specs with the slightly more expensive ones having better equipment.

If anyone else has been through all of these choices I'd be interested in your conclusions!

Although Wheelbase has a 15% off sale at the moment and I think it's only stock models so that might make the choice easier.

• Agree

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
One more comment on speed!
I'm not quite as fast as the "Apprentice" with his 110mph lap of the Isle of Man, I only managed 102.8mph but on a CBR600 road bike. Going at over 160mph between the stone walls does get it out of your system!

• Informative

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Thanks in advance....
Definitely 500wh battery if doing touring or long day rides, not so important for average commute. The 7spd is lower maintenance than derailleurs, and you can change gears when stopped.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
Hi, I have had my cube/Bosch for a few years & love it.
3500 miles and I changed a few things but that's just me, a perpetual tinkerer ;)

higher handlebars ease my back pain

ridged carbon forks replace the OEM suspension ones (2.2" tyres do a good enough job on light trails)

ncx seat-post for super back comfort

Swaped the 9spd derailleur for a 8 spd shimano hub, no more thinking in advance when you stop in a hurry, what gear will I need when I pull off ? You can change gear while stationary (Healthy folks don't get it ! but if your knees don't work properly you can't pull away in a high gear by just standing up on the pedals)

400 vs 500 battery,
I can't say how far any individual will travel with a given battery but I've flattened my 400 in as little as 28 miles on one ride and as much as 69 miles on another, I surpose it depends how much effort you put in yourself :rolleyes:
The 500 wasn't on the market when I brought my bike but if it was I'd have brought one, more is always better ( unless it's Toothache :eek: lol )

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'm not sure about that one, Dan. I've seen loads of rims worn right through, which is obviously very dangerous. The first you know about it is when it goes pop. I've never heard of a disc wearing through. In fact I've never seen any signs of wear on my own discs after thousands of miles.

OP, don't judge all hub-motor bikes on the basis of the Freego. The one you tried has an old control system based on speed control. Modern ones use power control, which feels much better.

If you want speed on a Bosch bike, you can fit a dongle which costs something like £130, or you can buy a bike that can have its speed adjusted through secret settings, like the Oxygen bikes and other similar ones.
. Fair enough, I bow to your greater knowledge of the subject. My real point was that hydraulic rim brakes are lovely to use in comparison with earlier cable brakes . For on road use not mountain trails, they should be fine.

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ref the speed thing. I don't want to go for Dongles etc for warranty and legal reasons. I just want to nudge it up a little as I believe that the law allows up to about 17mph using the 10% allowance. My riding so far shows that I tend to want to ride at about this speed.

Ref "If you like it, buy it" Yes, you can over analyse these things but I've settled on a Cube and I think on the open frame "easy entry" bike. But there is now the choice of 400 0r 500 and of "Travel" or "Touring". In addition they all seem to be around in at least 3 specs with the slightly more expensive ones having better equipment.

If anyone else has been through all of these choices I'd be interested in your conclusions!

Although Wheelbase has a 15% off sale at the moment and I think it's only stock models so that might make the choice easier.
... I m with you that 25km HR is fast enough. My Bosch Gives full assist up to 25 then progressively Less and less until that at a nominal 27 km HR there is no further assist.My highest speed (obviously without assist ) downhill 50km hr!
My recommendation would be for the step through frame.. if I wanted to get my leg over, I would have other activities in mind.
My further recommendation would to buy the biggest battery.

Last edited:
  • Useful

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What's the feeling about Shimano 7 speed hubs? I see that the Cube Travel has these.
The Shimano 7 speed gear hub is an old design that's not very efficient, small cogs and all the gears being indirect. I think the only reason they've kept it on the market is as a cheaper alternative, but if you're buying a new bike the saving is very small.

It's best to aim for their much more modern 8 speed hubs which are both stronger and more efficient.

• Informative

row

Pedelecer
Nov 12, 2015
Hi OP
The bike on wheel base has the CX motor which is good torque, the weight is reasonable, some of the cube step through are 25kgs

• Informative

chris130256

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 4, 2016
herefordshire
One more comment on speed!
I'm not quite as fast as the "Apprentice" with his 110mph lap of the Isle of Man, I only managed 102.8mph but on a CBR600 road bike. Going at over 160mph between the stone walls does get it out of your system!
A true adrenaline junkie! And you live in the Lake Distrct home of some of the best mtbiking in the UK. Get an all mountain full suspension emtb! You'll love it.

• Agree
Reactions: IR772