Bosch Tuning dongles arrived today - 50kph cut off..

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ok Martin, you've had the dongle all day, how fast does the Bosch actually go ?
Hech,

I have had the dongles since lunchtime, I have also had a shop full of customers in the shop all afternoon :)

Hoping to fit one this weekend and I will let you know..

In the meantime there are a few guys on here that have them fitted already and been running them for some months, I'm sure one of them will perk up tonight with some solid answers..

Regards

Martin

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
It is not made by bosch and officially it should void your warranty, that said if you were going to take the bike back for warranty, you would take it off before it goes in
I'd only be inclined to use it on a bike that was out of warranty. I certainly wouldn't post on a public forum about using a dongle on a bike that was still warrantied, esp if purchased from one of the traders on said forum!

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oops, another hour or so and ........:rolleyes:
Andy literally half an hour passed from you walking out the door with your new RC29 and the dongles turned up!

I hope you rode it to work once you left, or is that on the cards for tomorrow..
Scratch that, were all boys; and boys with their toys will ride it the second they get home ;)

Regards

Martin

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
I'd only be inclined to use it on a bike that was out of warranty. I certainly wouldn't post on a public forum about using a dongle on a bike that was still warrantied, esp if purchased from one of the traders on said forum!
will this dongle bypass have adverse effect on motor/battery/controller ? could make buying a second hand bosch bike less attractive.......

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
will this dongle bypass have adverse effect on motor/battery/controller ? could make buying a second hand bosch bike less attractive.......

yes that is what I would like to know... If it isn't same as Pedelec S then are there any studies / reports / opinions to how this doogle thing affects bike motor / battery especially...

regarding warranty.. Why would this invalidate warranty..? Are manufacturers concerned about something bad happening.. If so what?

Ad if it goes faster then does that mean more 'oomph' at all gear speeds (uphill for example) or just on the flat??

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
aaaaaaahhhh..... It depends also on how fast I pedal. I see said the blind man....

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I think the answer may be that in Eco mode, which is normally about half the maximum power in the "standard" setting, so around 250 watts actual, there's not enough power to get to 50 kph/ 31 mph. The rider is then forced to work much harder than they normally would if in high power mode.
Indeed, double the speed needs quadruple the power! Get pedaling!

Last edited:

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hech,

there are a few guys on here that have them fitted already and been running them for some months, I'm sure one of them will perk up tonight with some solid answers..

Regards

Martin
I'm one of said guys, but haven't used the bike much since I got the dongle, due to weather and busy-ness.

Went out on it today for half hour or so. Bear in mind I have a 42t chain ring instead of the standard 38t in order to raise the gearing a bit - I was riding along on the flat at 28 mph in top gear, still being assisted, and not killing myself doing so. I also went up a steep (1 in 6 or so) hill, at 11-12 mph, again, comfortably. All this was in Tour mode (2nd lowest assistance out of 4 levels).

It's certainly quicker than my old Kalkhoff ever was and I'm looking forward to giving it a proper workout. The combination of Bosch plus dongle on a decent bike is the business!

D

Deleted member 4366

The dongle doesn't add any more power or put any more strain on the battery or motor. It only removes the speed limit so that the motor doesn't cut out at 15 mph. You won't go any faster up hills nor go faster than 15mph in a strong headwind.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
that clears it up! Thanks ... Understand now!! BUT why would that invalidate warranty? Does it invalidate frame or motor warranty??? Or something else? Does martin agree it invalidates warranty??

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
that clears it up! Thanks ... Understand now!! BUT why would that invalidate warranty? Does it invalidate frame or motor warranty??? Or something else? Does martin agree it invalidates warranty??
Its a non Bosch item and you have to electrically connect into the Bosch harness. Now you may or may not short something out or have the power while doing this. Potentially blowing something up.

Bosch knowing this would be unlikely to warrant an electrical fault in the knowledge that you had messed with it.

I do no beleive that the dongle itself can in anyway cause a fault. Just if you unluck to have a genuine fault you would have a problem.

Personally, I could not care less. If it goes wrong it goes wrong, if I have to pay, so be it. At least my bikes working as it should have been from day one and is now a joy to ride.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thanks for that... useful feedback.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
does the dongle take the restriction on the 45 km/h version up to 50 km/h?

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
does the dongle take the restriction on the 45 km/h version up to 50 km/h?
I imagine the electronics take two hall censor pulses of the wheel, to then generate one pulse for the controller, therefore the top speed on the 45 kh/m version would become 90 km/h.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
At the end of the day, it would assist to 50kph but assistance will feel minimal.
You'd have to pedal very hard to cruise at this sort of speed.

I fitted the dongle just to get over the power drop off just as I was gettting up to speed.
Cut in and out all the time due to 15-20 mph being my normal cycling speed.
Made it pretty unusable and certainly did not feel as if it was working as it should be.

The problem is now rectified I can ride normally without hinderance. I have no wish to turn the bike into a 30mph machine.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
The cut-off point had put me off buying another electric bike. I may have to start looking again now at the 250 W versions rather than having my heart set on the 350 W S-version.

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm one of said guys, but haven't used the bike much since I got the dongle, due to weather and busy-ness.

Went out on it today for half hour or so. Bear in mind I have a 42t chain ring instead of the standard 38t in order to raise the gearing a bit - I was riding along on the flat at 28 mph in top gear, still being assisted, and not killing myself doing so. I also went up a steep (1 in 6 or so) hill, at 11-12 mph, again, comfortably. All this was in Tour mode (2nd lowest assistance out of 4 levels).

It's certainly quicker than my old Kalkhoff ever was and I'm looking forward to giving it a proper workout. The combination of Bosch plus dongle on a decent bike is the business!
Hugh - How is the new gearing we set up on your Haibike on Wednesday, did it do the trick?

Martin

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Hi Martin,

gearing's fine. No more cutting out and the gear range seems very good. I've still not been anywhere near the bottom 4 ratios - I'm hoping they will be low enough to get me up Mt Ventoux in the summer!

Could you bung me a message with the ratios on the cassette I got off you - my eyesight's so rubbish I can't read the numbers on the sprockets :(