Bosch Tuning dongles arrived today - 50kph cut off..

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Martin

Thanks very much for the kind offer I have sent you e-mail regarding this , even though I am not an existing customer would it be possible for you to fit this?

Also i arrive back into the UK. 12th April would there be any realistic chance of getting one by that date or am i just unrealistic

Regards Alan
Alan, I will call you this morning, may have some good news! Could possibly get a dongle for 20" in the next week or so..

I think the answer may be that in Eco mode, which is normally about half the maximum power in the "standard" setting, so around 250 watts actual, there's not enough power to get to 50 kph/ 31 mph. The rider is then forced to work much harder than they normally would if in high power mode.
Flecc -

Just for your interest, I should be receiving the first ever 26v Panasonic prototype dongle for testing in the next week or so. Would you like to be involved in the testing?

Once approved I will be taking orders for the Panasonic unit shortly.

Regards
Martin

Last edited:

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I fitted the dongle just to get over the power drop off just as I was gettting up to speed.
Cut in and out all the time due to 15-20 mph being my normal cycling speed.
Made it pretty unusable and certainly did not feel as if it was working as it should be.

The problem is now rectified I can ride normally without hinderance. I have no wish to turn the bike into a 30mph machine.
I agree entirely - that's why I did it as well. It's really nice to be able to go along at the speed I used to on a lightweight bike 40 years ago, rather than succumbing to the ravages of age :D

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Martin,

gearing's fine. No more cutting out and the gear range seems very good. I've still not been anywhere near the bottom 4 ratios - I'm hoping they will be low enough to get me up Mt Ventoux in the summer!

Could you bung me a message with the ratios on the cassette I got off you - my eyesight's so rubbish I can't read the numbers on the sprockets :(
Mt Ventoux sounds fun!

Yes of course I will pm you this morning.

Martin

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
IMHO 31mph off road ;) will be a lot more scarier and dangerous , than it would be on the highway irrespective of any legal restriction.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Dunno if I have missed it amidst the reams of sales and publicity and marketing material you have flooded the forum with over the last couple of months Martin, but just to remind you we are expecting the results of your promised experiment with the famous dongle by the end of tomorrow. You could mebe slip it on the bike on the way to church tomorrow morning , that is if you ebike dealers actually go to church anymore. Or sorry mebe I should o said the synagogue eh?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dunno if I have missed it amidst the reams of sales and publicity and marketing material you have flooded the forum with over the last couple of months Martin, but just to remind you we are expecting the results of your promised experiment with the famous dongle by the end of tomorrow. You could mebe slip it on the bike on the way to church tomorrow morning , that is if you ebike dealers actually go to church anymore. Or sorry mebe I should o said the synagogue eh?
Hech,

I only received the dongles Thursday afternoon, both my shops have been busy these last few weeks, not only with customers but with repairs flooding in due to the ever approaching spring. In fact we didn't leave till gone 11pm last night at my Alton store, so it's pretty safe today we have been manic.

As for church tomorrow. I'm afraid we have our first race of the season so will be in attendance all day... I will hopefully be committing some time to the dongle one evening early next week (fit one to my bike, take pictures, write up in structions in english etc). I shall of course keep you informed, as for testing, well I'm due a day off next on Monday the 11th so hopefully will be able to take out for testing then..
Other than that I work every day of the week...

As for the admits of sales, publicity and marketing material.. Well all I have done is keep people informed of the latest products in and tried to help out where I can, why not search my forum posts and take a look for yourself?
Many people from the forum that I have helped with various things have said thank you and appreciate my input, whether it be on here or in person.

Your comment here seems a bit blunt and as for the synagogue maybe you could expand?

Regards
Martin

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
You could mebe slip it on the bike on the way to church tomorrow morning , that is if you ebike dealers actually go to church anymore. Or sorry mebe I should o said the synagogue eh?
That was totally bleedin' unnecessary.

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hi Martin, you have had this new fangled wonder-product in for a couple of days now and we were looking forward to some real world test results or even a verification of the improvement in the bikes top speed, a trip round the synagogue would do I guess.
You see these 50kph claims are all well and good for people that bother to read what you have quite properly written, but a couple of members so far may have got the impression that your new super-dongle can somehow transform the laws of physics. Am amazed there have been no queries about possible radioactivity from this ludicrously expensive short circuit.
Regarding the jewish joke on the previous post, that kind of thing has been around for hundreds of years and though mebe not in the best possible taste, it hardly requires elaboration. On the other hand e-bike dealers are a comparitively new and virginal target and surely the time is ripe to do what humans have always done and share a joke at their expense? Lets just keep the malice to a minimum though eh!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hech's synagogue joke is not one I've come across before.

Perhaps it's a Scottish thing, like deep fried Mars bars - or religious bigotry at football matches.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
What's going on with hech????

:(. :(

D

Deleted member 4366

:(. :(
If you read all of Hech's posts, you'll see that he has an edgy sense of humour. He doesn't mean to be taken too seriously. He makes me chuckle more than anybody else on the forum. maybe it's my warped sense of humour too.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
So... He wants test results?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
So... He wants test results?
All the test reports I have seen show clearly this dongle does exactly what it says on the tin!

Over on the 'open-ebike' forum in Germany there's lots of people talking about them and pretty much all conclude it simply works.

They have a whole thread line dedicated just to tuning Bosche motors. Its not the only product out there that can do it either - but it is by far - as far as I can see - the most popular and most tested.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Dunno what all the fuss was about but this had me in stitches.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
I took it that hech was adding fairness to peeps who go to a place of worship other than church.

I suppose in order to appease all... the list of alternative venues should of been expanded to cover everything and everyone, but you cant please all the people all of the time :cool: