Bottom Bracket Cables

Mark Copp

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2020
Could someone help me please? I have a TSDZ2 That I wish to install on a Boss Blade. The issue I have is with the bottom bracket as the 2 derailleur cables are routed via a guide at that point. One cable will go but how can I get the other one to the rear derailleur out of the way?

Pedant peddler

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2020
Could someone help me please? I have a TSDZ2 That I wish to install on a Boss Blade. The issue I have is with the bottom bracket as the 2 derailleur cables are routed via a guide at that point. One cable will go but how can I get the other one to the rear derailleur out of the way?
Tsdz2 will allow around 5mm clearance for such. I and others have been able to leave these in situ. I sanded the plastic guide and a mm or two off the guide mount screw and managed to slide the TS carefully past. A good photo will likely get you a reply as to whether yours is possible.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Buy a gear cable with an outer and run it from the shifter all the way to the derailleur around the outside of the motor. You can buy the Clarkes universal gear cable from Halfords for £7.50 or buy a brake cable and gear inner at Wilkos for £3.50, and swap the brake outer onto the gear cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwvl and Mark Copp

Mark Copp

May 23, 2020
Buy a gear cable with an outer and run it from the shifter all the way to the derailleur around the outside of the motor. You can buy the Clarkes universal gear cable from Halfords for £7.50 or buy a brake cable and gear inner at Wilkos for £3.50, and swap the brake outer onto the gear cable.
Would there not be enough room to put a length of outer cable over the top of the existing inner, remove the guide and still run it where it is at the moment?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
yes, in principle you can do that but in practice, there is just not enough leeway between the bottom bracket shell and the gearbox's case to do that. I filed down my cableguide to just 3mm high, remove the bolt and spent half an hour fiddling with the motor to keep the gear cables in place. If you have a 3D printer, it may be possible to make your own low profile cableguide but it's just not worth the effort compared to running a new derailleur cable from shifter to derailleur.
In most cases, you won't need the front derailleur so there is only one cable to worry about.

Reactions: Pedant peddler

Mark Copp

May 23, 2020
yes, in principle you can do that but in practice, there is just not enough leeway between the bottom bracket shell and the gearbox's case to do that. I filed down my cableguide to just 3mm high, remove the bolt and spent half an hour fiddling with the motor to keep the gear cables in place. If you have a 3D printer, it may be possible to make your own low profile cableguide but it's just not worth the effort compared to running a new derailleur cable from shifter to derailleur.
In most cases, you won't need the front derailleur so there is only one cable to worry about.
Would that mean rerouting along the crossbar instead of the current routing?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
when I do a conversion for a TSDZ2 kit in the shop, I restore the rear derailleur cable after installing the motor. Depending on the bike, you can usually find a better route than the original route. If your BB shell is thin enough, there may be enough room to pass the outercable under the bottom bracket. I usually run it alongside the LCD cable to keep the look tidy.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Would there not be enough room to put a length of outer cable over the top of the existing inner, remove the guide and still run it where it is at the moment?
Remove the cable completely. Cut an outer to the length you need to run all the way from the shifter to the derailleur stop. You can route it wherever you want, like along the crossbar and down the seat-stay. Thread the inner through it and clamp to the derailleur. Maybe a couple of cable ties to tidy it up. Job done.

You might be able to re-use your present inner if it's long enough and doesn't have a nasty kink at the end.

I've done this mod on a few bikes. it works perfectly.

You can also do it partially by just running an outer from the last stop before the motor to the first one after, so the cable takes a loop over or under the motor instead of going around the BB.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Not a good idea - gear outers are compressionless, so you may get poor shifting with a brake outer. Using gear outers for brakes is dangerous.
No need for hysterics. Nobody is going to die because they changed their gear cable,

As I said, I've done it on three or 4 bikes, so have other forum members done it. It works perfectly!

poloyadi

Banned
May 2, 2020
Could someone help me please? I have a TSDZ2 That I wish to install on a Boss Blade. The issue I have is with the botsnaptube word to pdf vidmate tom bracket as the 2 derailleur cables are routed via a guide at that point. One cable will go but how can I get the other one to the rear derailleur out of the way?

Last edited: