Bradley Wiggins Sparks Helmet Debate

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
I always wear a helmet when commuting to work on my Ebike.
Apart from the safety aspect of head protection if I were to fall off and hit my head on the road, curb, etc, I find that it offers excellent protection against the elements and cold, with all the rain we have had this summer I have been very happy with the Hi-Vis helmet rain cover which keeps my head dry and much warmer at night time.
The micro fleece skull cap I have was also one of my best purchases and is also brilliant at keeping my head and ears warm. Even in summer time it can be pretty cold very early in the morning and late at night.
If people don't want to wear a helmet then that is their choice and a freedom which should be available.

LesleyA

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2012
I think it should be compulsory for children under 16, but thereafter down to choice. Having known someone who was killed years ago, on a fairly straightforward downhill stretch of road, when a fault with his bike threw him over the handlebars and his mate following behind found him dead in the road, I feel there is a good argument for compulsory helmet wearing, but then had this chap maintained his bike better, the accident may not have happened.

I think compulsory cycle training for all children should be introduced in schools - my son did a 6 week course at primary and I went along to make up the numbers for the adult:child ratios. We both learned a lot, and I found it very helpful having never done anything like it at school myself. I also think more emphasis should be put on cyclist awareness in the driving test, as all too often the hazards we meet on the roads are caused by inconsiderate or ignorant car drivers not making allowance for cyclists "space" allocation on the road and their lack of acceleration to get out of trouble.

C

Cyclezee

After all the debate on this topic perhaps it is time for members to have a vote, e.g. those in favour and those against the wearing of helmets whilst cycling and secondly should it be compulsory or not.

I have no idea how to setup a poll, but I am sure someone can.

Morgann

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2011
Compulsory helmet wearing:

Creates more accidents because cyclists feel safer and tend to turn their heads less.
Reduces the number of cyclist significantly because all the people who don't want to look like dorks stop cycling.
Adversely affects the cyclist/accident ratio because of the previous two points (less cyclists, more accidents) and then people start pointing at that figure and start calling for cycling tests and insurance and MOTs and registration and probably road tax etc. At which point pedal cycling becomes pointless cos you may as well get a scooter.

Don't you have enough regulation in your life as it is?

Shannock

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2012
Sheringham, Norfolk
I may have missed someone pointing out but this months CTC magazine has another article on the pros and cons of wearing helmets.
I'm under no allusions that me, wearing a helmet (which I do always) will protect me from ALL accidents.
Sorry John to carry on, can't help on setting up a poll.

Pete

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
While these strangulation events are terribly tragic for all involved the web link suggests that most of the deaths were connected to playground equipment with very young children.
It's impossible to know but the level of adult supervision may possibly have been lax for the deaths to have occured.
It does not seem to me to be a credible argument against helmets for cyclists if they are of the correct size and correctly worn.

Barry.