Bradley Wiggins Sparks Helmet Debate

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
What is 'reasonable' is open to interpretation. I usually cycle on otherwise deserted country lanes at about 10 mph. Is it reasonable that I should have to wear a helmet? I don't think so. Take 'reasonable precautions' one step further and pedestrians will be required to wear a helmet when walking in the High Street (or wearing a Mae-West when walking on the promenade at High Tide!) :(
Yes but i dont consider your suggestons reasonable and by reversing your argument we can scrap motorcycle helmets, seat belts etc etc etc.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
And as jumping without a reserve chute only affects the particpant and no other parties (the same as a cyclist not wearing a helmet) the choice should remain in the hands of the participant.
So the medics who have to attend. Ths cost of that, the grief of those left behind etc etc etc dont matter or count then ?. There is nothing we do that does not have consequences/costs for others (unless we are marooned on a dessert Island with no living relatives/loved ones to miss us)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Exactly Garry. Ultimately we all die anyway! Why is it especially bad at any particular time?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I have lost my parents, sister and wife, doesn't really matter how they die, it's all the same in the end.
Of course relatives etc. will be upset, they always will be regardless of circumstances.
Medics normally attend deaths, that's what they do, regardless of circumstances.

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Yes but i dont consider your suggestons reasonable and by reversing your argument we can scrap motorcycle helmets, seat belts etc etc etc.
Sorry I didn't respond to your post immediately; I banged my head on the cupboard door when I was reaching for my helmet ... left me a bit dazed, I'm afraid ... not sure where I am ... Oh Yes! If it wasn't for this damned thread, I wouldn't have this bl**dy egg on my bl**dy head!

For pity's sake, let's all go for an evening bike ride! ... and forget about the bl**dy helmets!!!:p

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
It has been said that the best safety device for motor vehicles would be a large spike mounted on the steering wheel, to encourage drivers to drive carefully. Of course, the metal used would have to be surgical quality stainless steel, to reduce the risk of infection. Also, it would be the duty of the driver to wipe the spike with a surgical swab, which would have to be submitted to a local laboratory on a weekly basis to check for germs. The wearing of stab proof vests would be illegal.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Well, at least we are resorting to humour now, its the only remedy really...... John has a lot to answer for !! :D

Perhaps we could have suggestions as to the suitable time period that needs to pass before anyone is allowed to raise the subject of helmet wearing again ? lol :rolleyes:

After all, we really need to regroup now, recharge our batteries and get out on our bikes......and NO....I dont, and still dont think I ever will, but I promise to use my eyes , ears and common sense to the full.......and if anything should happen to me whilst bike riding please, please promise not to put a floral helmet anywhere near me. :p

Lynda :)

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I respect peoples right to wear a helmet, and would like people to respect my choice not to. There are to many laws infringing on peoples right to choice.

ps I would like to ban sideburns
I agree. Sideburns should be banned.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Well, at least we are resorting to humour now, its the only remedy really...... John has a lot to answer for !! :D
I still think he owes me a years supply of chocolate coins! :D

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Exactly Garry. Ultimately we all die anyway! Why is it especially bad at any particular time?
Sorry I was trying to be a bit ironic. You are correct death at any time is not good.

I really don't support compulsory anything. However the big problem I see it is that in the end the "its my choice" brigade is that ultimately it is their attitude thats leads to the compulsory introduction of almost everything.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
I really don't support compulsory anything. However the big problem I see it is that in the end the "its my choice" brigade is that ultimately it is their attitude thats leads to the compulsory introduction of almost everything.
Im not sure what you mean by those comments, but please remember this IS still a free country and we all do have choices. (some ! )

My 'attitude' is that I take responsibility for myself and my health and if I have an accident for example, I accept that its just that and wouldnt try to claim against anyone if it truly was an accident, so, if I choose not to wear a helmet whilst out cycling that is my business and I fail to see how that personal decision should make you think that I, and others who think the same, would be responsible for any introduction of a compulsory helmet wearing law ?

As far as I am concerned its not 'an attitude' that I have, so much as 'a personal decision'........surely we are all still entitled to that.......

I also think it will NEVER happen, we are still talking about man powered cycling here, which is just a step up from walking , not motor driven vehicles, ( and no...our little motors hardly count do they in the scheme of things ! ) and as such I think it would be seen as far too much intervention, opening the door to restrictions and laws on how we walk next, which is plainly ridiculous, and certainly as others have said , would decimate cycling numbers just at a time when cycling is on the up and being encouraged for health reasons............

Right......its dry.....Im off out on my bike to Chard......hair flying free in the breeze :cool:

Lynda :)

n0ct0

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2012
North Yorks Moors(ish)
Someone else has probably already said this, but a polystyrene helmet isn't going to do a lot when a truck drives over me.

I wear a helmet when I'm off road on my ATB, chances are I AM going to fall off, and being unconscious in the middle of nowhere could be a bad thing.

On the road I used to wear a helmet; until I had a reality check with a near miss where a car went skidding past at 60+mph with all four wheels locked up. Another few inches and I'd have to be scraped off the road.

Making the vunerable take measures to mitigate for other people making a mistake is a back to front approach. I see this kind of crap all the time as I also ride a motorcycle. Daytime headlights, fluorescent jackets, all to mitigate for someone else, usually a car driver, who isn't looking anyway.

I always assume I am invisible and everyone IS going to do something stupid. Awareness and training are the key, not patching over the problem.

Go down this route and bicycles riders are going to experience the same journey as motorcyclists, where the vunerable are forced to take more and more measures to try and counteract a problem that lies elsewhere.

Yes, helmets do make a difference in minor falls. But I want to make the choice myself. A crusade on helmets will distract from the real problems of poor infrastructure and drivers' attitudes to cyclists.

Wearing a helmet to make up for this is as effective as chewing gum is to changing channel on your TV.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Will all the success cyclists have had in the Olympics encourage motoorists to love us more?
Tom.
Fat chance Tom!

Does the technical dominance of Britain in Formula 1 car design make cyclists love car drivers more? I think not.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Im not sure what you mean by those comments, but please remember this IS still a free country and we all do have choices. (some ! )
Ok ill try and explain what I mean. I have no problems with personal freedom and choice the issue I see is that when there is problem and the majority see that there is a good solution (eg seat belts) the ones who wont agree as its their personal choice are the ones who eventually cause that choice to no longer be a choice. Not saying its fair or right just a observation of how the world works. Bit of a chicken and egg argument I know but its just how i see it.

managed to get a couple of ten milers in this weekend between the thunderstorms.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the issue I see is that when there is problem and the majority see that there is a good solution (eg seat belts) the ones who wont agree as its their personal choice are the ones who eventually cause that choice to no longer be a choice.
You're describing a mainly British situation, the effect of what many of us call the "Nanny state". In the majority of the world this isn't the case, the freedom of choice remains.