Brake lever adjustment

cocoabeans

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2007
I have extremely small hands (can't find decent gloves that fit!) and I find it hard to reach the brake levers on my Quando. Not only is this uncomfortable but it reduces safety as I have to shift my hands from the normal position in order to operate the brakes.

I know that it's possible to adjust brake levers, but when the motor has a safety cut-off feature, is there a danger of leaving the motor permanently cut-off by moving the levers inwards? I would be very grateful if anyone could let me know how I might solve this problem whilst still having a functioning motor!

Thanks, Cocoa

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Much of the trouble with reach on the Quando is due to the brake leavers mounted pointing down to allow the most compact fold. If the width of the fold is not too critical within an inch or so, repositioning the brake levers more horizontal makes them much easier to reach.

There is a little tolerance before the cutout operates if you have the Dia-Compe levers, about one eighth of an inch, so you can take advantage of that, which moves the end of the lever in about half an inch. To do that you can turn a loop of thick galvanised fence wire around the start of the lever so it sits between the body and lever heel.

However, I think that if you use an allen key to slacken the lever clamping and reposition the levers horizontally, I'm sure you'll find you can then reach them, the Dia-Compe levers are quite short span in fact.

Last edited:

cocoabeans

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2007
Hi flecc,

Thanks for the tip- I have adjusted the levers to be more horizontal and it's definitely helped. I'll see how it goes and maybe try the wire trick too- it's still a stretch. I'm not sure if they're Dia-Compe levers- the only branding is the word "Tektro" on the lever housings. They don't seem to have a particularly short span- my most recent push bike was tailored to women and the levers were much more comfortable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Tektro ones are a bit wider as you say Cocoa, normal span but potentially difficult for small hands. The Dia-Compe levers came later, but I believe they are back to Tektro now. Probably best to use for a while to see if you get used to them, or try the wire trick to reduce the span a bit as you also say. You could have the levers changed, but you'd lose the cut-out function. You might not be worried about that, motor cycles don't have them, the riders just throttling off when they brake.