Brake light.

Tonto55

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2014
Hello all. I've noticed in recent years that speed pedalecs "german ones" in particular, that is, come with an integrated brake light. I think this feature would be a good addition on my own bike, which is not a speed pedalec but a standard 250w Bosch powered bike. The problem is I am not aware of a kit with the necessary wiring and switches needed to install such a feature is readily available on the market, if at all. I see aftermarket kits online but they look bulky. I'm looking for something that can be integrated into the existing wiring system.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Presumably you have (a) brake sensor(s) to cut off the motor. It would be easy to use the contact closure (or the Hall signal if it's a three wire sensor) to drive a circuit to apply power to the brakelight which could operate at battery voltage or at 5v available from the controller.
If diy appeals, indicate here and I'll provide a draft circuit which can be critiqued and improved by the Pedelecs community.

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Some dynamo-driven brake lights detect a sudden drop in voltage from slowing down and brighten up thus having the effect of a brake light if you are running with lights on. I guess most ebike lights would get their power from the battery though in which case you would need to rig up a control to one of the brake levers.

Tonto55

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 19, 2014
Some dynamo-driven brake lights detect a sudden drop in voltage from slowing down and brighten up thus having the effect of a brake light if you are running with lights on. I guess most ebike lights would get their power from the battery though in which case you would need to rig up a control to one of the brake levers.
Guess what!, I had no sooner posted my query when I came across a brake light that is activated by a speed sensor, i.e. when you slow down and stop it lights up, no wiring to be done other than the supply to power the tail light itself. Suffice to say I purchased it and it works really well. Litecco is the brand name. More recently I discovered that Trelock have introduced one as well.

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
Guess what!, I had no sooner posted my query when I came across a brake light that is activated by a speed sensor, i.e. when you slow down and stop it lights up, no wiring to be done other than the supply to power the tail light itself. Suffice to say I purchased it and it works really well. Litecco is the brand name. More recently I discovered that Trelock have introduced one as well.
A snip at only £45!,

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Reactions: manmikey

Beardie

Just Joined
Jun 22, 2020
I have one which is based on an ordinary LED rear light. The name on it is Knightlite. The switch clips onto the rear brake mechanism, so it will work with any bike, not just a pedelec. Mind you, mine's about 15 years old, so may not still be in production.

Related Articles

Advertisers