Brand New Sky

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Hi Beach,

Interesting to read your posts. The Powabyke Euro looks great as does your location. My first thoughts was your ebike would be equiped to carry your fishing gear and metal detector but then thought that your choice of ebike was so you could adapt it? An ebike with some gravity zero point technology would certainly cause a stir?

Looking forward to further postings.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Hi Beach,

Interesting to read your posts. The Powabyke Euro looks great as does your location. My first thoughts was your ebike would be equiped to carry your fishing gear and metal detector but then thought that your choice of ebike was so you could adapt it? An ebike with some gravity zero point technology would certainly cause a stir?

Looking forward to further postings.

Ok then, I will ask the question that no one else seems inclined to ask. Do you want to tell us about your Gravity technology?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
whoever peddles gravity technology (or nullpoint energy) is either a confidence trickster or does not understand physics.
If you are to produce energy in our universe from NPE, you need to take it from another universe which is indeed possible if a) you can contain another universe inside ours (which is in itself impossible) and b) trade between the two. Anyone who tries to build their NPE device with the Casimir experiment does not understand physics.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I'm another that likes the Powabyke. :)

I've yet to see one in flesh so to speak, but from photos they look like they are built to last, in a Land Rover kind of way.
I recently had an 'as new' example of a Powabyke in my Ebay watch list and kicked myself when I missed the end of the auction. For some strange reason, I quite fancy owning a mint condition original one. Probably wrongly, but I kind of feel that in some way that they have a place in e-bike history.

Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013

West Bay. West beach on the rare occasion of a perigee moon. (A Supermoon). It only happens once every several years but this is a photo, a quite unnerving photo, of West Bay ... experiencing a massive, uncharacteristic, really, really, really low tide. (Way lower than regular spring tides).

Somewhere inside my mind I was thinking ... "It isn't going to turn into a Tsunami, is it?"

Hey ...

Hi Kenny :)

Thank you for your super acknowledgements. It is really nice to learn that you are enjoying the posts.

Mmmmh. I have an inkling that I'm more likely to be a passing meteor burning bright for just a few short days rather than finding myself in some permanent orbit here.

But who knows.

Have a great evening. Kenny.

That's nice, flecc.

Hi d8veh,

Well. With our shiney new twin piers and the curtilage of the harbour greatly extended, the Bay is even more of a pleasure or treasure than it was before and the increase in the number of bass fry, (who have now adopted the outer harbour area as a nursey), probably means that the overall bass population should steadily rise over the next decade or so also.

Currently, Chesil beach is giving up the odd double figured cod, I say currently, I actually mean 'as of a couple of weeks ago' before the devastating floods, storms gales and rain hit us. It is probably fishing even better now though, after having the seabed churned up this last week or two..

My goal, over the coming months, is to fish, record, photograph and write an account of the first several miles of the Western end of Chesil as viewed from the eyes of the wandering soul persona I shall need to adopt for the role.

Would not ... could not even attempt it without my eBike.

Ha. Anyway. I should stop broadcasting the merits of my own unique part of West Dorset. I get frustrated with the existing teeming hordes of summer visitors as it is without inspiring or encouaging even more of them!

"Move along please, nothing to see here!" :)

--

Yes, I like those old Powabykes too! :) So much so that I remained determined to specifically and exclusively track one down!

Those are some impressive figures, d8veh.

Here are mine! Well ... in a minute or so.

Aside from tinkering with and rebuilding a little generic Chinese eFolder back in November of last year, I had never ever as much as looked twice at an electric bicycle, let alone ride one. I rebuilt that Chinese thing with a secondhand ... was it anM109 motor? Can't remember and am not going to Google it ... It was a round, black 250W motor thing anyway.

I bought a couple 12v 4.5ah Lucas SLA's off the net. I sourced the controller and ethrottle thing from China and, Bingo, in next to no time, the scrap of rusty red ejunk I had bought from the guy down the recycle centre, (the tip), had become a pure, well, artic white folder with two black wheels!

I rode it twice ... around a public car park ... and then I parked it up at the bottom of my Zen garden ... which is where it calmy resides and will reside for the foreseeable.

The new machine? I've ridden it three times so far.

1.A trip to the the wild downs and cliffs. 6.2 miles.

2. The 'motor test' down to the Bay and back. 4.23 miles.

3. A 1.1 mile trip there and back to a supermarket..

12 miles.

It is fascinating to ponder though, that the eBike is merely the facilitator of my, already fully formed ideas and aspirations. She is merely the hammer that drives home the nail of whatever dream, scheme or adventure I may be on.

---

Yes. I'm sorry if I offended you regarding my 'persistent poster' comments, d8veh. If I'm truthful, which of course I am, I can admit to being a bit of a PP myself in the past, though on serious or philosophical web forums, (not on niche sites like this), and I was possibly a pain in the **** sometimes, dashing to every new original post or thread to comment ... to spray my literary musk all over it ... just to let folk know, (or to remind them), that I was still there.

And yes. I used to boast about how many Serious Stuff or Forum threads I had posted and actually played the game of ensuring 'Beach' kept his threads popular and in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place at all times!

Sad really. It is a kind of 'big fish in a small pond' syndrome ... and yes, I have had that ailment myself! :)

But hey! At that time, several years ago, even the wheel had fallen off the cart I was going to hell in and I guess the forum feedback (and online company) was a kind of therapy of some sort.

Actually. For me, this is quite a novelty. A niche interest for sure ... but the very nature of the cyborg type machines we use and have a common interest in, does allow for a broad church of chat, conversation and debate.

Hi peerjay, Thanks for looking in. :)

Good Evening, Dynamic Position,

Yes. 100%. You are absolutely right about the Powabyke. I do indeed see it as being a sturdy, robust steed. Yes. It had to be able to carry beachcaster, spinning rod, all the tackle, my food, water, etc and, yep, at least one of my detectors.

And yes, further amendments are planned.

A 5 bolt, 40T chain ring will be added behind the existing ring to enhance the gearing for a calmer, less feverish 'on the flat' pedaling experience.

So far, a quick release bracket for my digital cameras has been added ... and security, aside from obvious visible deterrents, now also includes smartphone / internet security.

Ha ha. Gravity ... And to address neptune's query as well ... No. My own technology his nothing to do with zero point. My devices and manufactured products simply utilise gravity to create a variety of ground based, wall based and overhead fixing, security and / or anchoring devices ... via the use of just one moving part ... Typically, a stainless steel ball although the ball could be soluble, activated by solenoid or WiFi control or by any number of additional means.

Depending how a system or product is needed, the device(s) and the technology can be configured for just about fastening, anchoring or security situation.

Feel free to peruse my American patent, (XXXXXXXXX), but be warned, you have to scroll down quite a way before the patent begins to use real English. Ha ha.

And ... please appreciate that the diagrams are just that. They are there to furnish the (granted) American patent. Technical drawings. That's all.

Sorry. Changed my mind re my patents. This Pedelec site throws our posts out publicly. I'll happily throw up one patent diagram, (Part of the UK patent - above), but not the full document. I'll show you an actual product instead. (Below).

Garden ornament style invisible, tamper-proof security system

Same basic Gravity product but now configured as post system.

Cutaway to help folk get there head around my simple but ingenious technology! :)

There. I have NEVER responded to unsolicited requests to see or discuss my patented technology so you must have caught me on a good day, Neptune.

Seriously. Remember what I wrote above? I mean ... That Thing ... That technology just about destroyed my happy, perfect little life ... and has near put me in a box.

I'm proud of the technology and obviously feel comfy enough to relate aspects of it, (and aspects of my life also) ... BUT ... it's my Frankenstein. It is a monster that never quite leaves the room.

It "effed" me ... yet, in so many other ways, it still kind of defines me.

Now please promise me ... No more questions about That Thing.

Hi trex

According to some, the 11 dimensions needed to make one of several embodiments of string theory work, (in part), suggests that, yes, we could have other universes, (including microscopic ones), right here, right next to us ... just as we already have thousands of radio waves right here, next to us ...

String theory requires the concept of extra spatial dimensions to exist but the philosophical theories of the subject remain a complete dog's dinner at some levels so insert however extra spacial layers you like in place of the 11 I have quoted. A quick look online quotes 10 ... and then 5 ... and then ...

Ha ha

I often go to sleep with a podcast of quantum theory, string theory, astronomy cast or something equally fascinating whispering in my ear, (that stuff or just a good old fashioned recording of Coast2Coast), and find myself being mesmerized to sleep by the baffling, almost impossible to comprehend ideas involved! :)

Thank you, EddiePJ,

Yes. Already, I feel my task is nearly done ... having, (I hope), re-animated and redeemed the good name and reputation of a fine, valiant, and I could almost add, loyal little electric bike that we should all respect as a true classic example of the genre.

Like the Mini or VW Campervan, I thing the Euro, (and the near identical looking Commuter), deserves to be acknowledged for turning so many folk on to the pursuit.

Right. That's me done.

It's raining cats and dogs here in West Dorset.

Thanks for the comments.

Over and out.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I'm not a huge poster but I find plenty of time for pedelecs and still find time to go out to play on my bike. It's easy, I'm a shift worker and right now I'm doing a 12 hour nightshift and reading/posting on here. Work/life balance is all you need. ;)

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Hi Beach,

Enjoyed your last post though not sure what your patent is about and the last bit was straight over the top of my head. o_O
Still, very interesting Post and your enthusiasm for your new steed reminded me of my first ebike rides nearly 5 years ago.

Being able to easily tackle any hill led me to lots of places I hadn't been since my childhood. Old schools. playing parks, reservoirs etc.

Sure, I'd passed them when driving my car but on the bike I would stop and could almost picture myself as a young boy running around with my pals. The bike was more like a time machine and brought back so many memories of my youth.
I still love my bike though hate this time of year because I can't get out so much with the cold and wet conditions.
Hope you stay around to tell us of your future biking/fishing adventures (or anything else you want to talk about :)). It's certainly a beautiful part of the country you live in.

Cheers Ken

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi Beach,

Enjoyed your last post though not sure what your patent is about and the last bit was straight over the top of my head. o_O
The patent is about a garden door latch.

Beach,

Apology about jumping the gun earlier. I enjoy reading your flowery posts!

Last edited by a moderator:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I should stop broadcasting the merits of my own unique part of West Dorset. I get frustrated with the existing teeming hordes of summer visitors as it is without inspiring or encouaging even more of them!
This is what decided me against moving to Dorset when I had the opportunity after retiring. I still had memories of living in Bournemouth for a while decades ago and that similar irritation then.

I try to keep my Dorset visits off-season as much as possible.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
I understood the VW Campervan thing :)

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
Hi Jimod,

Of course you are right regarding the 'making time for stuff' and, as I related in my comment(s) to a8veh, it was wrong of me to make such a judgmental, crass comment. I'm sorry if I offended or rattled others with my insensitivity.

I apologise.

Good evening, Ken,

Ken wrote, "Being able to easily tackle any hill led me to lots of places I hadn't been since my childhood. Old schools. playing parks, reservoirs etc"

Well, Ken. Today, I followed and pursued exactly that philosophy and stretched Eva and myself to the point of delivering the pair of us to the absolute outer edge of our West Dorset playground.

I'm saving the details of this afternoon's adventure for a fresh post so won't reveal many details here but, put it this way, I found myself so off the beaten track that I started to have serious concerns about my welfare!

Set off at 1pm today with specific dreams, objectives and goals ... to learn just how far my new cyborg, man/machine body and mind could reach ... and have only just made it home.

I'm in one piece but feel a bit like the protagonist in "The Truman Show", having now explored up to and beyond the physical limits of my Brave New (Pedelec) World.

Post to follow ... once I have processed the adventure, photos and overall experience.

Well trex. Yes, I suppose you might describe the device as a latch and that is one of its features.

Here is one embodiment of my technology that meets your latch description.

The gravity fastener has a blade that temporarily dislodges the ball when it is introduced to the chamber, temporarily knocking it aside. The fastener with the hole in its centre then fully engages and the ball is then able, acting under the influence of gravity, to drop back into the hole, fastening, anchoring or securing fastener in chamber.

To remove or unlock the device, all that is required is a mechanical, (or other means), to temporarily nudge the ball away again ... and the fastener can be removed.

I developed the idea after remembering how folk used to catch monkeys in the wild.

They would put fruit in a hollow tree and wait for a monkey to arrive and discover the fruit.

The monkey would put it's hand in the hole, grab the fruit ... and then its balled fist would be too big to come back out!

The Greedy Monkey would refuse to let go so ... it was trapped!

In my products, the fruit is represented by the ball. The monkey's hand is represented by the Gravity fastener ... and the hole in the tree is represented by the Gravity chamber.

Catching monkeys and starving them of water, was a great way of finding hidden springs in the wild. On releasing a parched monkey, tribal folk would then follow it ... knowing that the monkey would lead them to its own water source!

Aesop told a similar story 2500 years ago regarding the 'boy and the filberts. The little boy tried to steal nuts from an open necked jar and, as with the monkey, once the boy grabbed his prize, he too fell under the same bewitching spell.

In Caribbean countries, mothers warn their children about 'not being greedy' and relate the same Greedy Monkey story. The moral being, try to grab too much in life can leave you with nothing at all.

Quite poignantly, (and ironically), it was my striving for success with my Greedy Monkey universal mechanism and manufactured products that eventually resulted in my losing all I ever held dear in this world.

Anyway, thanks for taking an interest, trex.

Good to read your comments, flecc.

I'm cheered to learn that you are familiar with Dorset ... and, yes, although tourism is one of the life bloods of this little county, it can still seem a double edged sword. We need the trade and revenue this jeweled chunk of England brings in but, well, I growl a bit when I step out into the mayhem of our Saturday market and have to walk in the road simply to be able to avoid the throngs of visitors cramming our pavements as they shuffle, quarter normal walking pace, 5 abreast, mooching about the town's street market stalls or pointing and ooh-ing and ah-ing

My cottage is down a 17th century passageway. The alley is quite dark but, from the street, tourists can see beyond the passage to the explosion of flowers I grow at the top end of my 165ft garden.

It is a regular photographer's trap. They see the vibrant, rich pastel colours of the flowers juxtaposed against the ancient flagstones and the dark alley and feel compelled to take pictures.

A couple of years ago, I wandered out from the conservatory to my newly laid patio and found a Canadian couple setting up a tripod and camera equipment in my garden!

Basil Fawlty style, I hollered at them with a ...

"Would you like some sandwiches perhaps ... or some jam and cream scones ... or will you be settling for a cup of Earl Grey???"

I sound terrible, don't I?

I'm not though ... and, as you may have already worked out, I hold an almost psychotic love for my fabulous, quirky little town and every last inch of its history, geology, topography and environs.

As you rightly point out, off season is incredible.

I sometimes cycle ... Hah, I mean I used to cycle, (traditionally), to Eype beach in the autumn, to seek out the last of the bass before they sulk off to deeper waters offshore and I'd not see another living soul. Actually, even in the summer, Eype beach maintains that kind of remote magic because it is not even very populated then ... aside from when the schools break up ... or when we are having a particularly blistering hot season.

Incidentally. Today, in planning my adventures, (as is my habit and way when communicating on a forum), I specifically had you folk at Pedelecs in mind ... so prepared accordingly.

I took with me a regular digital camera, my trusty Huawei smartphone camera and a further Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini smartphone camera, to give them a technical workout and to be able to furnish a future post with images for your entertainment.

And now, after having a cuppa, I shall drop into euphoric, creative mode and craft a thread for you.

It is my intention to be far less verbose in the next original post. The idea will be to tell a story in pictures ... but I can't guarantee to keep my enthusiasm in check!

I will try though. :)

I'm aware that, while I may hold a passion for such distractions, not everyone might share that view ... and maybe such self indulgence is irritating to others more interested in discussing the technicalities and mechanics of the hobby or pursuit.

We know the golden rule of internet communication though, don't we?

If you don't appreciate a thread, (or poster), just pass it by! :)

Thanks Jimod, Ken, trex and flecc.

Time to put the kettle on.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Hi Jimod,

Of course you are right regarding the 'making time for stuff' and, as I related in my comment(s) to a8veh, it was wrong of me to make such a judgmental, crass comment. I'm sorry if I offended or rattled others with my insensitivity.

I apologise.

Time to put the kettle on.
Don't fret it, I wasn't offended, just pointing out how it's done. :)

As for the kettle on idea. Try Bewley's Irish breakfast tea bags. They're second to none.

Keep posting, I'm liking the pictures.

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
Hi Wissy,

I'm, no doubt, smitten and bias in regards to the charms of 'My Little Pony' of a Powabyke and obviously, already, have a soft spot for her ... but yes, I feel she is old enough, in years and with regards to posterity, to be viewed in some nostalgic way ...

Obviously, time and technology has marched on but she still performs the job she was created to do, extremely well, and could now even be described, design wise, as having a cool, retro look to her.

And, like a VW campervan, she radiates the promise of being able to deliver adventure, happy pursuits and good times!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good to read your comments, flecc.

I'm cheered to learn that you are familiar with Dorset ... and, yes, although tourism is one of the life bloods of this little county, it can still seem a double edged sword. We need the trade and revenue this jeweled chunk of England brings in but, well, I growl a bit when I step out into the mayhem of our Saturday market and have to walk in the road simply to be able to avoid the throngs of visitors cramming our pavements as they shuffle, quarter normal walking pace, 5 abreast, mooching about the town's street market stalls or pointing and ooh-ing and ah-ing

My cottage is down a 17th century passageway. The alley is quite dark but, from the street, tourists can see beyond the passage to the explosion of flowers I grow at the top end of my 165ft garden.
Beautiful spot to live, but I can well understand the visitor problem since my brother finds them quite a nuisance since moving into this 15th century building in Corfe Castle. The stone staircase at the front is his fire escape!

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Beach,

Looks like a neat and simple product which could be used for lots of applications, it is a shame that it has not worked out.

I hope your retirement goes well as I look forward to reading more of your adventures. I'm particularly looking forward to some treasure hunting, hopefully you will post some details on your metal detecting trips?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Beach,
about your door latch.
if the body and fastener are made out of aluminum alloy, the key could be simply a couple of magnets hidden somewhere.
That'll last a few hundred years and requires zero maintenance. I haven't seen it sold anywhere though.

Beach

De-registered
Sep 26, 2013
Hi Dynamic, Hi trex,

Yep! I'm a genius :) and yep, as either a fixing, fastener or anchoring device, the thing can be configured in a hundred ways for a hundred or thousands of applications.

... but give me a break, guys.

I still own all the worldwide patents, the tooling etc etc but ... it damn near destroyed me and I simply will not allow the thing to manifest anywhere in my world again.

Find me a deep enough hole and I'd throw the whole venture down it.

Yes. Of course I am proud of it, as a device, as a mechanism and a technology ... my technology, and sure, as it's father and creator, I'll never stop loving it but ... I don't need conversations or suggestions as to it's commercial worth. It's like kind of raking over hot embers that might re-ignite and burn me.

That memory. That aspect. That side of it hurts my head and makes my heart feel heavy at the very contemplating of the subject.

I'm being gentle and respectful but ... I'll pass on any more queries or questions ... cos otherwise, it'll distract me from more worthy thoughts and or pursuits on here.

My profile pics are quite ambiguous and only really give a hint that I am or was a 'successful' inventor. (Most never make it). That was fine and, anyway, I always show that sort of material on my profile. Heck. Why shouldn't I? I've done something cool ... but I never, (normally), actually discuss it online. (I did state to Neptune that he must have caught me on a good day ... )

Less of the 'retired', Dynamic. I'll have you know that I am still a fit, youthful 50 something!!! Ha ha.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Interesting latch, but the problem is that one thief might be baffled, the second nicks the lock and the third one comes ready for it.
It would be galling if the Chinese started knocking them out by the thousand for a couple of bucks and paid naff all in royalties.