Wisper Brand New Wisper 705se Grinding Brakes

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Hi All,

I have recently taken delivery of a Wisper 705se.
I have covered about 170 miles on the bike and the front brakes have been making a horrible grinding noise and vibration since about 100 miles.
I first thought that it might have picked up a stone. But I stripped, cleaned and reassembled and the noise remained.
I have also tried new pads, a new disc and a calliper alignment and still the noise remains.

I have taken it to my local bike shop and today they have said that it looks like the forks are vibrating and causing the noise rather than any of the braking components.

Has anybody heard of this before? I can't fathom in my head how suspension forks would be able to generate a loud grinding noise :confused:

Cheers in advance,

Dan

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Get the wheel up off the ground and spin it. Gently apply the brakes. If the grinding sound is not present, try moving the wheel side ways against its bearings, try the head stock steerer bearings and anything associated with the wheel and steering.
Then, make sure that the noise is not coming from the back.
Make sure that the telescopic part of the forks are not loose, particularly with weight upon them so that they depressed.
Finally, check for small cracks in the frame work.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi All,

I have covered about 170 miles on the bike and the front brakes have been making a horrible grinding noise and vibration since about 100 miles.
I first thought that it might have picked up a stone. But I stripped, cleaned and reassembled and the noise remained.
I have also tried new pads, a new disc and a calliper alignment and still the noise remains.

I have taken it to my local bike shop and today they have said that it looks like the forks are vibrating and causing the noise rather than any of the braking components.

Has anybody heard of this before? I can't fathom in my head how suspension forks would be able to generate a loud grinding noise :confused:

Cheers in advance,

Dan
My guess is that the bearings need the slack taken out, e.g. correctly adjusted, that could be axle or headset bearings.
Also, I would guess that the brake is wrongly set up.
Have you had disk (I assume?) brakes before and fully understand the adjustment procedures? It is not quite so easy till you have done it a few times. some are easier than others....
Best wishes
Andy

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi All,

Cheers in advance,

Dan
Hi Dan,

Sorry to read about the issue with your brakes.

Have you contacted Wisper support... support@wisperbikes.com Did you buy the bike from a local dealer? Have you spoken to them?

We will certainly be able to sort the problem.

If you are having problems contacting either us or your dealer please feel free to email me directly on David@wisperbikes.com

All the best, David

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Thanks to everybody for your replies and advice. I am getting the bike back the local repair shop on Thursday so will try them out.

David, I think I am speaking to you via email now! I'm keen to try and get this sorted myself before the bank holiday weekend as my wife is collecting her new bike on Friday!

Thanks again,

Dan

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Dan, indeed we are talking. If there's anything I can do please let me know. Please make sure the bike shop is in touch with our tech guys.

All the best, David

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
So I have tried the advice above and still the noise is there!
Below is a YouTube vid if anyone has any more ideas...

Thanks in advance
Dan

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Dan, strangely we have not heard from Cycle Solutions yet. I have forwarded your email to Claud support@amps.bike Thanks for the video, it sounds like a wheel bearing to me. If Cycle solutions cant help you, Claud certainly will.

What advice were you given and by whom?

All the best, David

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
Thanks Dan, strangely we have not heard from Cycle Solutions yet. I have forwarded your email to Claud support@amps.bike Thanks for the video, it sounds like a wheel bearing to me. If Cycle solutions cant help you, Claud certainly will.

What advice were you given and by whom?

All the best, David
That is a little strange. I emailed them again today so they may be in contact soon.

The shop I took it to is called Bike Station UK. This is the place that said it was the front forks vibrating.

Fingers crossed Claud can sort me out. If he wants he could Facetime or Skype if he wanted to see it in real time :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Dan, rest assured we will be able to assist you, however we are super busy at the moment. So please give Claud some time to respond to you. All the best, David

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
To me it sounds like the rotor edge touching the top of the calliper because the calliper is sitting to deep, try a thin flat washer top and bottom between the calliper and fork mounting.

01wellsd

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2020
Bristol
To me it sounds like the rotor edge touching the top of the calliper because the calliper is sitting to deep, try a thin flat washer top and bottom between the calliper and fork mounting.
You might be onto something there.
Just been out to take a look and there isn’t a great deal of space between the rotor and the caliper.
Looks like it may have been rubbing as there is a slight groove worn into the bottom of the caliper.
there is an ever so slight mark on some of the protruding edges of the rotor, not so easy to get a photo of on an iPhone though!
Having said that, since I last removed and refitted the caliper the noise has lessened slightly.
I’ll see if I can find any thin washers in the man cave later.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As the rotor is a saw edge type each peak gives the ting ting as it touches.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
That is a little strange. I emailed them again today so they may be in contact soon.

The shop I took it to is called Bike Station UK. This is the place that said it was the front forks vibrating.

Fingers crossed Claud can sort me out. If he wants he could Facetime or Skype if he wanted to see it in real time :)
The front forks may be vibrating in sympathy, but its obviously something to do with the axle or brakes, or both....
Truly excellent videos, well worth the time and effort in making them.
I, and I am sure others here, are happy you posted them!
Andy